• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    blobb said:
    Camel, without a doubt Camel.

And early Caravan.

Man, Nektar, Hillage, National Health.

and

Here & Now.
    Yes indeed!

Plus Focus, Gong, Van der Graaf Generator, Bill Bruford, BeBop Deluxe, Brand X, Egg, Ekseption ...

... but most of all, first and foremost Camel. Andy Latimer is a wonderful musician.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    Go to youtube and check out the German telly programmes Beat Club and Musik Laden. Some stonking live stuff on there, far more rock-y than OGWT.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    Yes indeed!

Plus Focus, Gong, Van der Graaf Generator, Bill Bruford, BeBop Deluxe, Brand X, Egg, Ekseption ...

... but most of all, first and foremost Camel. Andy Latimer is a wonderful musician.
    All of the above..........plus I forgot Soft Machine although Robert got a mention earlier, so can we include Matching Mole here too? Late 70's Softs were a different band to the early stuff (basically the band Nucleus), for a rip roarer I'll throw Bundles in, just for the Alan Holdsworth 'Hazard Profile' contribution if nothing else.

@Phil_aka_Pip are you planning on going to see the Moonmadness tour? I would love to see that, too far away for me though.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    King Crimson. Emerson Lake and Palmer. CapabilityBrown. Edgar Broughton. Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Atomic Rooster. .....
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @blobb AFAIK they're playing Cambridge, and I intend being there although I haven't bought a ticket yet

I once saw Nucleus, in St Albans, I think. Isotope were on the same bill. Must have been early-mid 1970s. Mindblowingly agile and complex music.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited March 2018
    Stooges - Raw Power

The Sweet
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Pre-'Rockin' All Over The World' Status Quo. Really. Actually even post-RAOTW Quo aren't bad. Albums - Piledriver, Hello!, Quo, On The Level, Blue For You and Live!

Boomtown Rats. Seriously under-rated band. Albums - A Tonic For the Troops and The Fine Art Of Surfacing.

Blondie. If you're only familiar with the singles, you'll be amazed how great most of the other tracks on the albums are. Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat are the best albums.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

A lot have been mentioned..  I quite like Supertramp...

Hmmm, how about Rainbow... Cant beat a bit of Dio :)

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    ICBM said:
    Pre-'Rockin' All Over The World' Status Quo. Really. Actually even post-RAOTW Quo aren't bad. Albums - Piledriver, Hello!, Quo, On The Level, Blue For You and Live!

Boomtown Rats. Seriously under-rated band. Albums - A Tonic For the Troops and The Fine Art Of Surfacing.

Blondie. If you're only familiar with the singles, you'll be amazed how great most of the other tracks on the albums are. Parallel Lines and Eat To The Beat are the best albums.
    Wiz re: Blondie. All the 70s albums are great and if we're allowed 1980 check out Autoanerican. 

On a Blondies related note check out The Nerves (Jack Lee's band - he wrote Hanging On The Telephone and Will Anything Happen on Parallel Lines)
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Also The Runaways are fun. 

The Who - Who's Next, Quadrophenia and Who By Numbers. 

Mighty Baby might appeal on the rustic-Eastern-psych front. 

Velvet Underground - Loaded

Gene Clark - No Other
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    ICBM said:

I was going to say The Pretenders first album, also much better and edgier than you might imagine if you just know the singles and Scott was a superb guitarist. However, realeased 1980 :unamused: so I can’t. I will give a :+1: to the Quo suggestions though. 
    Slightly surprised you didn’t suggest 1970’s  Déjà Vu by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young or any of the seventies Neil Young albums ( I’d be good with Harvest from 1972 although neither that or Déjà Vu are very rock’n’roll).  

Lots of mentions for Johnny Winter so I’ll go off at yet another angle and say Hard Again and I’m Ready by Muddy Waters, produced by Winter. There’s quite a lot of unsympathetically recorded blues in the 70s ( like the awful London Howling Wolf Sessions and Albert King’s attempts at sub disco) but these are very much the exception. Not an obvious next point from the OP listening to Styx but a rare opportunity to hear a blues great recorded on modern era equipment. 

Ooh, I should probably shut up  but also much better than you might think ( and probably more relevant to an OP who likes Kansas,etc):  Chicago. Best known in the U.K. for Chicago 16 in 1982 and a slew of sickly ballads the original line up with original guitarist Terry Kath ( on everything up to and including Chicago XI I believe) is much more experimental than their hits might ever suggest; effectively a completely different band.
    The original line up had some U.K. success in 1970 but Kath apparently said 
    “Fuck you England, you motherfuckin’ teabag faggot motherfuckers!”at a press conference so they weren’t welcomed back for a long time and hence largely unknown here for another decade. Kath met his end because he couldn’t work out that heavy drinking and cleaning a gun didn’t really mix so maybe not the brightest spark in some ways. Anyway, early Chicago worth checking out :flushed: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tFB Trader

Theres also a little known band called Fanny...  One of the first ever all female rocks bands..  Not particularly inspiring in musical terms but a cool side note to 70s rock ..  And I get to legitimately say Fanny without being sexist or rude  :D

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Grand Funk ( aka Grand Funk Railroad).

Queen ( their 70's output being different to their latter stuff). 

Graham Parker.

Golden Earring

On a different tangent Peter Tosh's seventies albums as he had taken on a lot of rock influence. 

Aerosmith ( who were far more interesting in the seventies). 

Focus.
    Golden Earring! How could I forget! Moontan is an awesome album
    tFB Trader

All of this reminds me of some of the first sort of rock music I got in to..  Not cos I knew so much but they had these albums out called Soft Metal, Pure Soft Metal etc   They had all of this music on it and more....

Anyone ever listen to those albums?

tFB Trader

I tell you another great 70s album which I only really started listening too much later on..

Jeff Beck Blow by Blow

• chriscufcchriscufc Frets: 18
    Grocer_Jack said:uf
    King Tubby, Lee Scratch Perry (anything involving either of these).
    partial to these two myself. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    Rabs said:

All of this reminds me of some of the first sort of rock music I got in to..  Not cos I knew so much but they had these albums out called Soft Metal, Pure Soft Metal etc   They had all of this music on it and more....

The only one I remember we had as kids was Axe Attack.  On the K-Tel label.

I just googled it and there is not a duff track on it.

tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Rabs said:

The only one I remember we had as kids was Axe Attack.  On the K-Tel label.

I just googled it and there is not a duff track on it.

Ohh nice, I just went and looked it up..  VERY similar to Soft Metal...   I remembered the name of the other ones in the soft metal range which was Precious Metal and Red Hot Metal..  Imaginative names huh  :)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    Van Der Graaf Generator, Roxy Music, Mott The Hoople, Bob Marley & The Wailers, The Clash, Joy Division.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.