70s Bands - Recommendations please

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Creme Brulee 
    Would you be allowed to start a band called that? I think you might have legal trouble, similar if you tried to start one called Disaster Area, or Dennis and the Dinmakers ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3028
    edited March 2018
    Creme Brulee 
    Would you be allowed to start a band called that? I think you might have legal trouble, similar if you tried to start one called Disaster Area, or Dennis and the Dinmakers ...

Yeah, the bastards would probably stop you. It's a shit business.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2953
    boogieman said:
    I think Man have been mentioned a couple of times. If you do get around to listening to them, go for the live stuff, it’s infinitely better than any of their studio albums. There’s a very good double album called Man Alive that has some of their best 70s material. 

And another vote for Focus and Budgie.  :)
    Maximum Darkness - Live stuff, 3 guitar players (John Cipolina guested with them)
    Whinos, Rhinos & Lunatics - studio stuff, she's the Whore who will open the door....

Also check out The Neutrons for a great MAN band spin off.

I like to eat Bananas...'cos they got no bones....I like Mari-juana...'cos it gets me stoned.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    Creme Brulee 

Yeah, the bastards would probably stop you. It's a shit business.

I'd imagine the League of Gentlemen would be quite amused if someone started a band called Crème Brulee, although it might not be their decision whether or not to take action over it.

When I was a kid I saw a band in Swansea called Slartibartfast.  I realise that's not quite the same as calling your band Disaster Area... and they didn't attract attention by going on to international stardom.  They didn't even go on to local stardom.  For local people.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Roland said:
    King Crimson. Emerson Lake and Palmer. CapabilityBrown. Edgar Broughton. Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Atomic Rooster. .....
    Good call. Capability Brown was a pretty amazing band, pioneering three-guitar rock and powerful harmony vocals. Sadly short-lived in the very early seventies, some of the members went on to form Krazy Kat but the latter did not have the same impact. Unfortunately there is no You Tube video of CB other that album tracks accompanied by still photos.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    Man Live at Reading from 1993 is a good live album. There are some good bootlegs out there as well as some not-so-good ones.

Another Man spinoff is Deke Leonard's Iceberg. Deke's vocals may be a bit of an acquired taste but I've loved this track for decades:

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    frank1985 said:
    So sad to note that Mike Harrison of Spooky Tooth left us for a far better gig over the previous weekend . RIP
    @artiebear so sorry to learn that. did a google, found this:
    http://dmme.net/mike-harrison-of-spooky-tooth-passed-away/

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    https://youtu.be/Ndnidos5HRU?t=93 Awesome band' light years ahead of their time!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Just skim read the first 4 pages and I didn't see anyone mention Free.

FFS..

FREE were THE best rock band of the 70's.

Oh @ICBM , you missed off Dog of Two Head......Quo were brilliant in those early years. Saw them many many times.
  • Free are covered in the opening post.

What’s the opinion on Rainbow? I’ve always dismissed them based on my opinion of Since you’ve been Gone being shite. But last night on Planet  Rock I heard Man on the Silver Mountain - what a great tune! As good as Deep Purple.  Are they worth further listening? 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    Free are covered in the opening post.

What’s the opinion on Rainbow? I’ve always dismissed them based on my opinion of Since you’ve been Gone being shite. But last night on Planet  Rock I heard Man on the Silver Mountain - what a great tune! As good as Deep Purple.  Are they worth further listening? 

Yes..   The thing with Rainbow is they went through many changes..  The Dio era is as far as im concerned well worth a listen.... Their other stuff, some of its ok..  If not a bit middle of the road.

Rainbow (also known as Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow or Blackmore's Rainbow) is a British rock band led by guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, active from 1975 to 1984, from 1993 to 1997, and from 2015 to the present. They were originally established with Ronnie James Dio's American rock band Elf, but after their first album, Blackmore fired the backing members and continued with Dio until 1979. Three British musicians joined in 1979—singer Graham Bonnet, keyboardist Don Airey and then-former Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover—and this line-up gave the band their commercial breakthrough with the single "Since You Been Gone". Over the years Rainbow went through many line-up changes with no two studio albums featuring the same line-up. Other lead singers Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White would follow, and the project consisted of numerous backing musicians. A pioneer to power metal, the band's early work primarily featured mystical lyrics with a neoclassical metal style, but went in a more streamlined, commercial direction following Dio's departure from the group.[1]

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited April 2018
    As an aside - I’ve played guitar with Doogie White about ten years ago. Well, he was singing... you know what I mean. I was trying to get Blackmore stories out of him, but he was very loyal and wouldn’t give anything away. Haha!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Rabs said:

Yes..   The thing with Rainbow is they went through many changes..  The Dio era is as far as im concerned well worth a listen.... Their other stuff, some of its ok..  If not a bit middle of the road.

Rainbow (also known as Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow or Blackmore's Rainbow) is a British rock band led by guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, active from 1975 to 1984, from 1993 to 1997, and from 2015 to the present. They were originally established with Ronnie James Dio's American rock band Elf, but after their first album, Blackmore fired the backing members and continued with Dio until 1979. Three British musicians joined in 1979—singer Graham Bonnet, keyboardist Don Airey and then-former Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover—and this line-up gave the band their commercial breakthrough with the single "Since You Been Gone". Over the years Rainbow went through many line-up changes with no two studio albums featuring the same line-up. Other lead singers Joe Lynn Turner and Doogie White would follow, and the project consisted of numerous backing musicians. A pioneer to power metal, the band's early work primarily featured mystical lyrics with a neoclassical metal style, but went in a more streamlined, commercial direction following Dio's departure from the group.[1]

In the recent come back shows about half the set was Deep Purple stuff, maybe that shows a bit of lack of faith in the depth of the Rainbow catalogue. I’ve got a Best Of cd somewhere and it’s like being jerked between about three different bands. Certainly the Dio period stuff is the stuff that sounds on the whole sounds less like A.N.Other rock band. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

In the recent come back shows about half the set was Deep Purple stuff, maybe that shows a bit of lack of faith in the depth of the Rainbow catalogue. I’ve got a Best Of cd somewhere and it’s like being jerked between about three different bands. Certainly the Dio period stuff is the stuff that sounds on the whole sounds less like A.N.Other rock band. 

Well I think we have all heard tales of how hard Blackmore was to work with....  And as mentioned above they had a different line up for every album after Dio... Which just says it all really  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22877
    Rabs said:
    Well I think we have all heard tales of how hard Blackmore was to work with....  And as mentioned above they had a different line up for every album after Dio... Which just says it all really  :)
    They also had a different lineup for pretty much every album with Dio, so it was nothing new.

Rainbow was the first heavy rock band I really got into as a 15 year old, and Down to Earth was the first of their albums I bought (on clear vinyl).  But the Dio-era albums have stood the test of time much better than the later ones, I think.

IMO yes, Mr Blackmore is the guitarist and it's his band. You may or may not like the singer but the vocals are not why I like Rainbow. I loved the live version on MOTSM it had loads of energy, the studio version struck me as dull.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

IMO yes, Mr Blackmore is the guitarist and it's his band. You may or may not like the singer but the vocals are not why I like Rainbow. I loved the live version on MOTSM it had loads of energy, the studio version struck me as dull.
    Rainbow are ace if you get the right albums with Dio ... channelling some Deep Purple ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited April 2018

Hmmm...70's bands, you say? Suspend all disbelief and give the following a spin...

Ultravox: Ultravox!
    Ultravox: HaHaHa
    Ultravox: Systems of Romance
    Television: Marquee Moon
    X-Ray Spex: Germfree Adolescents
    Devo: Q: Are We Not Men?
    The Cars: The Cars
    The Cure: Three Imaginary Boys
    The Cure: 17 Seconds
    The Specials: The Specials
    David Bowie: Scary Monsters
    Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures
    The Jam: All Mod Cons
    Japan: Quiet Life
    Richard Hell and the Voidoids: Blank Generation
    The Buzzcocks: Singles Going Steady
    Radio Birdman: Radios Appear
    Stranglers: No More Heroes
    Stranglers: Rattus Norvegicus
    Wire: Pink Flag
    Sniff ‘n’ the Tears: Fickle Heart
    Gang of Four: Entertainment
    Kraftwerk: Radioactivity
    Kraftwerk: The Man Machine
    The Ramones: The Ramones
    The Clash: London Calling
    Neu!: Neu! '75
    The Ruts: The Crack
    The Ruts: Grin and Bear It
    Bauhaus: Bela Lugosi's Dead (12")
    Bill Nelson's Red Noise: Sound on Sound
    Be-Bop Deluxe: Axe Victim
    Be-Bop Deluxe: Sunburst Finish
    Be-Bop Deluxe: Modern Music
    Skids: Days in Europa
    Killing Joke: KIlling Joke
    Magazine: Real Life
    The Damned: Machine Gun Etiquette
    The Saints: I'm Stranded

Voila!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3028
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the Rainbow advice; I’ve downloaded the first two albums with Dio and it’s good stuff. Shows that you shouldn’t judge a band based on one song.