70s Bands - Recommendations please

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the Rainbow advice; I’ve downloaded the first two albums with Dio and it’s good stuff. Shows that you shouldn’t judge a band based on one song. 
    Get the third one as well - Long Live Rock'n'Roll - it's the best one in my opinion. It also has a brilliant cover with a caricature of Blackmore that's just perfect - makes him look shifty and devious .

I also like Down To Earth with Graham Bonnet... although more accurately I like the half of it that's on The Very Best Of Rainbow. After that... meh.

As a bit of trivia, Rainbow weren't the first band to cover Since You've Been Gone - South African girl band Clout were.

They also recorded the first single I ever bought (along with Marshall Hain's Dancing In The City) - Substitute.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    “Hey Ben, what did you do in 2018?”

“Listened to the 70s.”

Mega snowed under here guys.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Did we have these guys yet? I listened to their first album a lot in 1973/74:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

A current thread on here about LAB Series amps reminded me of these guys. A great live band on the pub circuit in the seventies. This vid from OGWT:

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2018
    Groundhogs 70s stuff is epic. Tony TS McPhee was the arbiter of the first Guitar Synth and can be heard to good effect on this 74 classic from the LP Solid - Light My Light

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Steve Miller band
    Ten years after
    early Santana
    Hall and Oates 

• Has anyone mentioned the Skids yet?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    A very young Robert Smith, singing one of The Cure's finest

I love the comment from YouTuber Sandes Doc  "Back in the days when Robert Smith didn't look like your dishevelled aunt."  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Up The Junction.  1979 one of the great years for music

Holidays in the Sun.  Raw energy to get the juices flowing.  There's a great cover version instrumental below.  One of my guitar ambitions is to play guitar like Steve Jones, or even that cover band!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    57Deluxe said:
    Groundhogs 70s stuff is epic. Tony TS McPhee was the arbiter of the first Guitar Synth and can be heard to good effect on this 74 classic from the LP Solid - Light My Light

Good grief, did we really miss the Hogs off the list? Their 70s output was amazing. Quite how Tony McPhee doesn’t get the recognition he deserves is a bit of a mystery, he was doing some incredible experimentational stuff with guitar and synths back then but not many people would recognise the name nowadays. He’s still around and playing but sadly a couple of strokes have left him severely limited in what he can do with the guitar. He’s still got a wicked sense of humour though and his memory is incredible, some of his stories about playing with John Lee Hooker are hilarious. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Steve Gibbons Band - Rockpile - Dave Edmunds - Dr Feelgood - Pirates.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Television. Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd = amazing.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    boogieman said:
    57Deluxe said:

Good grief, did we really miss the Hogs off the list? Their 70s output was amazing. Quite how Tony McPhee doesn’t get the recognition he deserves is a bit of a mystery, he was doing some incredible experimentational stuff with guitar and synths back then but not many people would recognise the name nowadays. He’s still around and playing but sadly a couple of strokes have left him severely limited in what he can do with the guitar. He’s still got a wicked sense of humour though and his memory is incredible, some of his stories about playing with John Lee Hooker are hilarious. 
    AS far as I know he has had to knock the guitar on the head as well now. 

I've seen Ken Pustelnick's version a couple of times and they are great. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    edited October 2018
    Reverend said:
    boogieman said:
    57Deluxe said:

AS far as I know he has had to knock the guitar on the head as well now. 

I've seen Ken Pustelnick's version a couple of times and they are great. 
    Good to hear about the KP version, I’ll have to look out for them.

Tony still plays a bit, he pops up on Facebook clips now and then at some open mike nights near where he lives. I get the feeling it’s because people remember him as the great player he was though, cos he’s certainly very limited now. He seems to play more slide than anything else and he hasn’t been able to sing for years. Such a shame when this kind of thing happens to decent players but at least he still has some playing ability : Larry Miller and Jerry Donohue both can’t play at all now.