Les paul low end flub

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I like alnico III low wind pickups on les pauls to help with low end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    I have worked long and hard to get Les Pauls to sound tighter and more defined with less low end mush and a better/wider frequency range .
    Certain hardware choices, and Pickup choices etc can help
    Here are my top 3 LP tighteners:
    1) Fit an Earvana nut
    2)Try changing the tailpiece to lightweight aluminium
    3) Choose a pickup that has slightly less low end - a great example is BKP Riff Raff or Oil City Pat '63 (both still great PAF types - or Pat Number pickups to be more specific, but with a tighter less flubby bottom end)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I have worked long and hard to get Les Pauls to sound tighter and more defined with less low end mush and a better/wider frequency range .
    1) Fit an Earvana nut
    3) Choose a pickup that has slightly less low end - a great example is BKP Riff Raff or Oil City Pat '63 (both still great PAF types - or Pat Number pickups to be more specific, but with a tighter less flubby bottom end)
    Just out of interest, may I ask if you would say the BKP Mule also has the right amount of low end or not so much compared to the Riff Raff?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    edited March 2018
    Id be definitely interested in the Riff Raff, I’be just discovered the Cobras for strat
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    thegummy said:
    1) Fit an Earvana nut
    Just out of interest, may I ask if you would say the BKP Mule also has the right amount of low end or not so much compared to the Riff Raff?
    The Mule has a touch more low end to my ears than the riff raff - more windings and the A5 in the RR gives a more potent top end than the A4 in the mule.
    But do also do things to affect the acoustic (unplugged) tone too as it will translate when plugged in
    The pickup is a filter more than anything.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 259
    One thing I have always done to my Lp's is to rotate the neck pickup thro' 180 degrees to bring the pole pieces closer to the bridge ( this doesn't put the pups out of phase you need to swap magnets to do that ) to my ears it brightens things up a little & costs nothing to try.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    One thing I have always done to my Lp's is to rotate the neck pickup thro' 180 degrees to bring the pole pieces closer to the bridge ( this doesn't put the pups out of phase you need to swap magnets to do that ) to my ears it brightens things up a little & costs nothing to try.
    Isn’t this basically the Peter Green mod?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited March 2018
    daveyh said:

Isn’t this basically the Peter Green mod?
    No, that needs the pickup phase-reversed as well.

The phase is by far the bigger part of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein