Removed

What's Hot

Comments

• It's a shame this. I had my eye on that guitar and would probably have bought it to play and keep at £600. Bugger!

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited November 2023
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1099
    He's had one of my guitars from me and messaged me through FB. Was upfront about being a dealer, gave me a fair price with no messing about. 

Listed the guitar on his site  for what I thought was a inflated price but it's his property after he paid me so that's his business what he wants to sell it for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    People who exploit other people's good nature for profit are out and out scumbags and there's no excusing it.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    In Ronnie's words, "the less that you give, you're a taker."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    JackieB33 said:
    I suspect that @dbphoto is maybe an old flame of Craig's?
    Aye, there you go, that will explain it.

(never heard of the guy)

As you were boys, i’m out of here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
     dbphoto said:
    JackieB33 said:
    I suspect that @dbphoto is maybe an old flame of Craig's?
    Aye, there you go, that will explain it.

(never heard of the guy)

Oh, he’s run off. That definitely doesn’t look at all suspect 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    martinw said:
    People who exploit other people's good nature for profit are out and out scumbags and there's no excusing it.
    So like 90% of businesses then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Jack_ said:
    martinw said:
    That’s the point though, the OP was led to believe he wasn’t dealing with a business.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    The guy has bought two guitars off me at the price i wanted if he chooses to sell them on and make a profit then good luck to him, I knew he was a dealer and i got what i wanted money wise with no hassle same with ric henry
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4280
    dbphoto said:

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    JackieB33 said:
    Jack_ said:
    martinw said:
    How does this apply? 

Businesses agree to buy goods at trade price, with both themselves and the supplier being under the impression that a profit is to be made. 

In terms of this situation: 
    If Craig had acted like a dealer and said something along the lines of ''i'm only offering this amount as it'd keep me within my profit margin'' then that would be much more dignified. And i probably still would have taken him up on it. 

But that isn't how it went down. 
    I wasn't applying it to this particular situation, just noting that the vast majority of businesses will exploit other people's good nature for profit in one way or another, be it US banks and mortgages or merchants and fake/inflated RRP prices for discount comparisons or West Ham's owners and their fans, etc.

I'm not defending Greenwood or the way that he and his peers do business in ANY way.

I'm merely suggesting that most people at some point in their lives will do something unethical in pursuit of making money, hence we're nearly all scumbags - I guess.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shefguitarshefguitar Frets: 206
    Jack_ said:
    JackieB33 said:
    Jack_ said:
    martinw said:
    How does this apply? 

Businesses agree to buy goods at trade price, with both themselves and the supplier being under the impression that a profit is to be made. 

If Craig had acted like a dealer and said something along the lines of ''i'm only offering this amount as it'd keep me within my profit margin'' then that would be much more dignified. And i probably still would have taken him up on it. 

I wasn't applying it to this particular situation, just noting that the vast majority of businesses will exploit other people's good nature for profit in one way or another, be it US banks and mortgages or merchants and fake/inflated RRP prices for discount comparisons or West Ham's owners and their fans, etc.

I'm not defending Greenwood or the way that he and his peers do business in ANY way.

I'm merely suggesting that most people at some point in their lives will do something unethical in pursuit of making money, hence we're nearly all scumbags - I guess.
    You can make a profit and still have principles and act ethically. Some people choose to take the ‘easy’ route.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    martinw said:
    Err...no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    JackieB33 said:
    Jack_ said:
    martinw said:
    How does this apply? 

You can make a profit and still have principles and act ethically. Some people choose to take the ‘easy’ route.
    I 100% agree, but even the best slip once in a while.
    edited November 2023

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    I dislike an amateur dealer as much as the rest of them, as I've often said on here. Perhaps I missed the bit where he was being dishonest but I can't find it? Or is the fact that he specifically didn't mention he was a dealer the problem? Dishonesty by omission, then. 
    edited March 2018
    I dislike an amateur dealer as much as the rest of them, as I've often said on here. Perhaps I missed the bit where he was being dishonest but I can't find it? Or is the fact that he specifically didn't mention he was a dealer the problem? Dishonesty by omission, then. 
    I think it's that he has been dishonest in the past, therefore OP would rather have not dealt with him, but did not know he was dealing with him.

Also the lies to bring the price down.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Not mentioning he's a dealer and saying "£600 is all I've got" rather than "£600 is all it's worth to me".

It's the same as when we bought our house. The people selling span a tale of woe ("Our forever home, but getting divorced", etc.). Turned out they clearly had a link to one of the local agents and regularly bought houses that had sat for a while, did some "work in progress" then flipped them. How I know is too long-winded, but I know.

At the end of the day we got a house we wanted, at more or less a fair price. But knowing you were bullshitted and manipulated leaves a sour taste. If they'd just said they weren't budging on price and not spun a tale it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it would have felt better. And I wouldn't have laughed like a drain when 9 months later they got stuck with a total dog we'd already walked away from.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom