Removed

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited November 2023

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    So, who’s messaged the guy on eBay offering £600 because ‘it’s all I have’? :) 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited March 2018
    JackieB33 said:
    I dislike an amateur dealer as much as the rest of them, as I've often said on here. Perhaps I missed the bit where he was being dishonest but I can't find it? Or is the fact that he specifically didn't mention he was a dealer the problem? Dishonesty by omission, then. 
    Hi mate, 

Have a read through, save me some time. 

I've taken guitars to cash converters in the past (in my younger days of course, ha!), and you throw it on the counter and they say ''it's worth this much, but we need to make 'x' amount on it.. being as we're a business. So i'll offer you this.. "

I have a friend who owns a great little guitar boutique in Macclesfield who i've done deals with in the past. I run a deal past him.. he says; "the guitar needs to come in at this much".. and i know that would be based on him making money on it. Cos that's the business he's in. 

Neither of these go out of their way to message people on Gumtree in the guise of a regular John. Putting offers in on gear, saying "this is all i have". 

I'll reiterate. The offer wasn't that far off 'fair'.. no issues there really, or i wouldn't have took it. But i'm a genuine person, and expect people to be genuine with me.. if he'd have said "i can only take the guitar at 'x' amount because i need to make money on it", then fair do's and i still would have took it. To see the guitar on ebay the next day for stupid money, and reading other peoples accounts on the forum is just disappointing.. and doesn't leave me with much faith in people. 

'dishonest' is a very broad word. There are probably many other words that fit the situation better. Like; 'disingenuous'. 

Describe it as you will mate. 
    The thing is, some people like honesty, others when messaged saying "I'm a dealer, I'll give you this much" are going to say no to any deal because they don't like the practice, and I'd assume dealers don't want to risk this happening and them missing out on something they think they can make a profit on, hence they mask their identity.

It doesn't make it right, but I'd assume that's the reason they do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don’t get the need to say anything other than,  if you’re open to offers I’ll give you xxx for it.   I can’t recall going into any personal details when buying something unless it was friendly discussion comparing notes as musicians.  

It seems a lot of the “bedroom” dealers feel a need to give a back story to reduce the price - in this case I think the OP would have been happy to discuss the offer with no other details and it’s that need to get one over on someone from these guys leaves a bad taste. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited March 2018
    Reading between the lines it sounds like in person the "I've only got £600" came across as implying they were a poor but genuine buyer rather than "I've only got £600 to spend on this because after fees and time that's all I can spend to make a profit".  That isn't immediately obvious reading the account, but if that's what's happened it is exactly my bugbear with bedroom dealers - the yarn they spin instead of being upfront.  I do wonder if the chap in this case said just enough so he didn't actually tell a lie, just didn't tell the whole story.

Aside from that, what I notice from the pictures is a missing chrome top from one of the knobs.  Which sums up another problem with bedroom dealers - they don't add any value like a proper shop probably would.  In an ideal world they'd change the strings, polish and maybe level the frets, clean the thing, check the setup, and address any obvious defects like the missing knob topper.  That that's not been done tells me all I need to know about how much value this guy is adding to justify top end shop prices.  None.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    He’s taken some nice photos though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1740
    I just don't get all this rubish about the buyer told me a story so I sold him it, as if you did him a favour by selling it to him.
    You obviously didn't get better offers so where happy to accept his money. He's hardly got it for a bargain n not going make a great deal on it tbh.

Some people just seem obsessed about what their guitars/amps r worth. 
    It's simple somethings worth what someone will pay when you come to sell it. If your not happy with the current market you don't sell its quite simple. 
    The current Market today is getting totally distorted by over priced gear that's listed n never sells. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    edited November 2023

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 234
    JackieB33 said:
    I suspect that @dbphoto is maybe an old flame of Craig's?
    You sure he's not "Craig"??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 574
    Bought something from him - was really worried after I read this but he was very helpful and responsive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom