University Challenge

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    edited March 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    As for them knowing classical music, it's a totally different mindset.  It's "old" to everyone.  And I doubt they listen to it for pleasure, they probably just swot up on it because they know it'll be on University Challenge.
    Wank.

Why do you say that? Because people can't possibly like classical music?

Calm down for fuck's sake.  Wank to you too.

I was asked if there was any reason why these contestants should be able to identify a piece of classical music any more easily than they can identify a piece of old rock music.  And I suggested that a 22 year old knowing classical music is no different from a 60 year old knowing classical music.  And going on UC they'll probably make an attempt to prepare, whether they actually like to listen to it or not.

In no way am I suggesting people of any age can't possibly like classical music, but most people probably don't know it well enough to answer questions on a quiz show.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    I’m half decent at only connect
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598
    I take issue with "Darkness on the Edge of Town" being described as obscure or unknown, it's certainly my favourite of his albums and regularly is rated by critics as his best album after "Born to Run".
    Which is why I said you'd need to be a fan to spot it - I'm guessing you are.  YSMANL and Stairway are so well known that it would only need one team member with no more than a passing interest in rock music to get it.

Philly_Q said:

As for them knowing classical music, it's a totally different mindset.  It's "old" to everyone.  And I doubt they listen to it for pleasure, they probably just swot up on it because they know it'll be on University Challenge.

Fair point.  Although I get the impression that some contestants genuinely listen to a lot of classical music, and are incredibly knowledgeable about it.

And of course, the amount of stuff they know about things other than guitar solos is frankly mind-boggling.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    I was going to go on and say I think we'd get on very well, but then I saw you're a bass player :tongue: 
    So, if my avatar thumbnail image were of a swanee whistle or a kazoo, would you assume that I played those? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    I was going to go on and say I think we'd get on very well, but then I saw you're a bass player :tongue: 
    So, if my avatar thumbnail image were of a swanee whistle or a kazoo, would you assume that I played those? ;)
    :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    @17.25 I am sure the girl screws up her face and says "I don't like it..."
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>