70s Strats? Who has one? Thoughts?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
I know these get a bad rap but like everything they aint all bad right?

Any owners out there like to provide their pros and cons, likes, dislikes. What to look for etc..

Please don't comment if you've played a shit one in Denmark street etc because I've also done the same and already know about that  ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Pretty sure @57Deluxe has owned a hardtail 70's strat from brand new, natural finish?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    I had one, 1977, natural finish which someone had installed a set of Texas Specials in.  Sounded pretty good but weighed a ton and some of the details were shockingly poor: most obvious was a neck pocket gap of around 2mm all round the neck heel.  Opinions vary as to whether it affects the tone or not: can't say I felt it suffered particularly from it. 

Looked the business if you like that whole 'working man's guitar' vibe but for whatever reason it and I never really clicked and I ended up moving it on for something else. 

I suspect they vary massively but while they often get a bad rap, if you like that whole big headstock/bullet truss rod/3 screw neck plate thing I think they are - or can be - pretty cool.  Like most 'vintage' (or near vintage) guitars I wouldn't (now) buy one unplayed...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 561
    Never owned one but I have played one a number of times and was considering buying it at the time . .  Quite a while ago but nice condition as I remember, just a bit too expensive for me at the time . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Hate the headstock.. I'm out
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4815
    I've got a 73 hardtail - the first decent guitar I ever owned, I bought it in 1979 and I've had it ever since. It was a very well used guitar before I bought it and hadn't been that well looked after. A few dents and lost finish on the body and a cigarette burn on the back of the neck. 

Here's a pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjistjogua957lm/Strat.jpg?raw=1

Originally it was white, but the colour changed over time (this photo is 10 years old, it's even yellower now). The nut was changed as part of the only refret I've had done. I also had the neck pocket shimmed so the neck fits properly and doesn't move. The machine heads wore out and I replaced them with Schallers in the mid 80s. Sadly, in the early 80s I fitted a brass bridge - in part because the original bridge was in a sorry state. I regret that now and I've been thinking about reversing it. Still has the original pickups. 

The neck is very slim, front-to-back, and nothing like a friends rosewood necked 78 Strat, which is quite chunky. It's always been like it during my ownership, so I don't know if that's how it was made or if a previous owner did something to it. 

Sounds great, plays well. I can't see me ever selling it. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14428
    tFB Trader
    It is not Fender's finest era - But as you said they are not all bad

common negatives and generally such negatives got far worse during the decade - weight - body/neck join/gap - monkey metal trem assembly - thick lacquer especially on a maple fingerboard, with thick lacquer over the small frets making any form of string bending a hit or miss affair hence generally easier to play with lighter strings (9's as against 10's) - tone is a lot thinner due to the type of pick-ups - this might suit some but not all

However some play better than others and most negatives got far worse after the 73/75 period

However I've sold/played a few were the guitar has been 'upgraded' with better pick-ups, a vintage style trem and a good re-fret and the guitar moves up a serious notch IMO regarding the playing experience

Extremely unfair to compare a 70's Strat from anything from the 50's/60's era for many reasons and to a large degree a totally different guitar then anything after the early 80's and beyond - I've played MIM 70's replicas that are better built than an original 70's model especially with regard to weight and that neck pocket gap

Early 70's models suffer far less issues but you'll pay more for one

An overview is they are not all bad but you might have to play a few until you find a good one
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    edited March 2018
    @TheBigDipper nice story! Yeah it's very strange how the necks can vary so much in girth throughout the 70s.
    @JerkMoans ; So check out the pocket to make sure it's a decent fit. Seems to be a good call on these. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534

An overview is they are not all bad but you might have to play a few until you find a good one
    Wisdom as always  ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Once you get beyond ‘75 they are very variable. Later ones had virtually no body contours and were often exceptionally heavy.

Earlier in the decade they are generally better - though often still too heavy.

The simple fact is, a decent used CS Strat is far more likely to be a good guitar for similar or - in some cases - far less money.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    I've got a "lawsuit" one, an Antoria (made by Ibanez in the Fuji Gen factory), dated April 1977. Large headstock, natural finish (solid wood, not ply), 4-bolt neck, vintage-style Ibanez star tuners and good sustain.

I like the weight, because I'm a LP man. Less good points (as said) are the thick lacquer on maple fingerboard, over small frets. I've changed the input jack as it's a player, and the lead used to fall out.  The switch is also a bit floppy compared to my US Std Strat so I may change that too and I got a Rothwell Hot Little Knob put in too, to make it a bit fatter if needed when jamming with others.

Lookslike this one http://images11.postadsuk.com/2017/01/31/postadsuk.com-antoria-strat-stratocaster-japanese-70s-suffolk.JPG
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23141
    I love the look of '70s Strats but I couldn't be bothered dealing with all the heavy bodies, thick finishes, dodgy neck pockets, variable neck profiles etc trying to find a good one.  So I ordered one from the Custom Shop.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14428
    tFB Trader
    In an ideal world, late 70's Strats that are currently around £1500 should be £750 - then this would allow for a good tech to refret, fit a new trem assembly plus new pick-ups - as such still approaching £1500 ish but now a far better guitar
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    edited March 2018
    I have had a 76 since 1980 and it's a old friend that I know well and love for all its quirks. It's a bit of a 'trigger's broom' though as over the years the tuners, pickups and bridge have been upgraded. It's even been stripped of its thick layer of whatever it is, still heavy though. For me it does the classic Strat thing very well although I haven't played any others for many years. Other people have told me they like it so it must have something. Only thing that has come to bother me in latter years is that I have come to realise that it is a bit narrow at the nut. If I lost it would I set out to buy another Strat from that era? Probably not. (Sorry I am rubbish at getting pictures to display here)  

https://imgur.com/gallery/494HE

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

I totally want a battered '70's Strat.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    I've got a 73 hardtail - the first decent guitar I ever owned, I bought it in 1979 and I've had it ever since. It was a very well used guitar before I bought it and hadn't been that well looked after. A few dents and lost finish on the body and a cigarette burn on the back of the neck. 

Here's a pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjistjogua957lm/Strat.jpg?raw=1

Originally it was white, but the colour changed over time (this photo is 10 years old, it's even yellower now). The nut was changed as part of the only refret I've had done. I also had the neck pocket shimmed so the neck fits properly and doesn't move. The machine heads wore out and I replaced them with Schallers in the mid 80s. Sadly, in the early 80s I fitted a brass bridge - in part because the original bridge was in a sorry state. I regret that now and I've been thinking about reversing it. Still has the original pickups. 

The neck is very slim, front-to-back, and nothing like a friends rosewood necked 78 Strat, which is quite chunky. It's always been like it during my ownership, so I don't know if that's how it was made or if a previous owner did something to it. 

Sounds great, plays well. I can't see me ever selling it. 
    Now THAT looks cool as.  Let me know if you ever change your mind ;)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Trying to think what year my friend's hardtail strat is. I've played bit a few times and it's surprisingly modern feeling in terms of the frets and radius, may well have had work done as probably few instruments of that era won't have some baggage. Not particularly heavy. He loves it but does nothing for me that a modern guitar wouldn't. 
    He had to kiss a few frogs to find it though.
    It's the partner to his Les Paul Deluxe ( I'm going to say that's 1975) and I'm as sure as I can be that I've never played a physically heavier guitar than that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    I’ve a 79 (well 1981) Maui blue one I love

good: pickups are a country mile better than my old mim & mij squier. Mine has a nice v ish neck which is comfy

bad: weight it’s 4.2kg ouch!! Neck pocket is sloppy but fine if u set it up nice & don’t use the micro tilt 

All in all it’s a very cool fun guitar
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

I totally want every battered '70's Strat clone

FTFY
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Hate the headstock.. I'm out

This.

Once you get beyond ‘75 they are very variable. Later ones had virtually no body contours and were often exceptionally heavy.

Earlier in the decade they are generally better - though often still too heavy.

The simple fact is, a decent used CS Strat is far more likely to be a good guitar for similar or - in some cases - far less money.

You don't even need to go Custom Shop.  I've not played a lot of 70's Strats, but my Mexican Classic Series is far better than the ones I have played.  Admittedly the ones I have played have been late 70's.  The earlier ones were a bit better by all accounts.

Even if there is the odd good one, they still have that monstrosity of a headstock and should be illegal as an offence against good taste.

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited March 2018
    I've got an early  '73 Strat (Neck is dated Jan '73)

Just recently had a refret but it's a fantastic guitar. Lovely thick almost Les Paul neck.  Very resonant
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom