70s Strats? Who has one? Thoughts?

What's Hot

Comments

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    crunchman said:
    Get yourself down to Coda:

thanks, this looks great - but I feel far too self-conscious to go to a shop, ask to play an expensive guitar I have no intention of buying, and inflict my lame noodling on staff and customers. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited March 2018
    NPP said:
    crunchman said:
    Get yourself down to Coda:

thanks, this looks great - but I feel far too self-conscious to go to a shop, ask to play an expensive guitar I have no intention of buying, and inflict my lame noodling on staff and customers. 
    I'd just like to play it because I've never seen a proper leftie that is older than my 78 strat
    and I've heard so much about vintage I'd just like to experience for myself what all the fuss is about

EDIT: Clarky you are such a nob
    play every note as if it were your first
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I played a few of them back in the days when you could buy one used for £250-300. I’m sure some are good, but the ones I remember playing were usually heavy bodies with gloopy finishes, cheap nasty hardware and vile pickups. Before they became vintage, most people back then bought Tokai’s or Squiers or the early AVRI’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited March 2018
    Schnozz said:
    I cream my pants over a Mocha 70s
    I know what you mean. I think we are in the minority but, nothing screams the 70s more than a bit of mocha!

"Mocha"?

For most of the Seventies, up until the arrival of the 25th Anniversary models and the Antigua finish, there were six official colours. Fender called the semi-transparent brown one Walnut. I called it something less flattering.
     Mocha was a special order custom colour in 1969 and 1970 only.  I've only ever seen three and they were all hardtails.  One was in the original Fender Sound House in Goodge Street, one was in Rose-Morris in Shaftesbury Avenue - and the other is one that I have which is a late 1969 hardtail (neck date November 1969) and like Hendrix' it has a capped maple board with no 'skunk stripe' also special order and only offered I think from circa '68 (possibly late '67) -'70. 

photo 20180324_124139_zpsrxzw8sbpjpg
    photo 20180324_124223_zps9tvz1jxrjpg
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Here's my '79, another hardtail (okay, it's actually my Dad's). It needs new frets, there's string buzz in a few places, it's not particularly light and I keep hitting the middle pickup and reaching for the tremolo that isn't there but I've honestly been having more fun playing this the last month than I have any other guitar in a long while!

I've also had no hand cramps thanks to the chunky neck which is nice. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24850
    I was at the Whitworth Guitar Show on Sunday and played a lovely, really light ‘74 hardtail in Natural finish. If any one’s interested - assuming it’s not sold - it should be on @guitars4you’s website.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    @Jaded ; that looks great. I recently stripped the body on mine and it's a very similar colour to yours - you have me thinking about black plastics now! 

It's funny getting oddly nostalgic for things I hated in 1979...
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    Love the way the headstock ages to an orangey hue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

When I had a bit of money "spare" I was thinking about getting a Strat from 1971, my year of birth, but it was such a minefield I didn't get round to it with enough focus.

With a new hose on the way that idea has gone out of the window!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    SNAKEBITE said:

With a new hose on the way that idea has gone out of the window!

That's understandable.  I look forward to the NHD thread.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Got any 'ose?

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    Mine as it currently stands, I do quite fancy the idea of black plastics though.

BTW, does anyone else have neck lacquer which falls off in chunks? Both of my CBS necks do...

http://i64.tinypic.com/mcgp5c.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/v8h0r9.jpg
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    p90fool said:
    Mine as it currently stands, I do quite fancy the idea of black plastics though.

BTW, does anyone else have neck lacquer which falls off in chunks? Both of my CBS necks do...

Strip it and oil it - nice  ;)
  • @p90fool - yes, same thing with mine, around the marker dots.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23151
    p90fool said:

Would they still be nitro at that stage, or had they switched to urethane?
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited March 2018
    I was made in 1976 and so was this Strat of mine, for obvious reasons:

The aformentioned interesting neck pocket and mine is a pretty good example - only out by a MM or two:

And the frets - a little low but not too bad:

Mine plays pretty well however the first thing I did was to swap out the whole pickguard and pickups for some Van Zants blues pickups - life is much better now
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    p90fool said:
    @Jaded ; that looks great. I recently stripped the body on mine and it's a very similar colour to yours - you have me thinking about black plastics now! 

It's funny getting oddly nostalgic for things I hated in 1979...
    Thanks! What colour was it before you stripped it? I love the look of those transitional models with black pickguards and the rest white!

I've noticed some of the finish on mine is getting a little sticky in places. It seems to be a fairly common thing for some reason. 
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 205
    Much of the comments reinforce my desire for a current American Special. Looks 70's but ain't. Lovely jumbo frets, Olympic White. Roll on next march...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    mine looks very much like that of @webrthomson , just reversed (it's a lefty). I'd like to post a pic but can't make sense of the instructions posted on here - funny how everything else seems self-explanatory these days but posting pics defeats me all the time, even though I'm usually someone who gets asked, rather than asks for, help with computery stuff.  

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    NPP said:
    mine looks very much like that of @webrthomson , just reversed (it's a lefty). I'd like to post a pic but can't make sense of the instructions posted on here - funny how everything else seems self-explanatory these days but posting pics defeats me all the time, even though I'm usually someone who gets asked, rather than asks for, help with computery stuff.  

Here is how to post pictures from imgur - http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54246/how-to-post-pics-imgur

Come on @NPP we want to see it :)

I bought mine in the US and it was by far the best playing one I could find - I think the 70's headstock looks amazing - and mine is not that heavy, well I dont think so comparing it to my Les Paul's anyway!

Now it's got some decent pickups in it sounds great!!!