70s Strats? Who has one? Thoughts?

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

I totally want every battered '70's Strat clone

FTFY
    Cheek! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They haven’t improved with age, very hit and miss. Had one at 18 in 78 thought it was brilliant, 40 years on would have to search far and wide to find one that suited then probably buy a new relic!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

I totally want every battered '70's Strat clone

FTFY
    Cheek! :)
    Just sayin’ ;)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2534
    Si_ said:
    I've got a '73 Strat

Just recently had a refret but it's a fantastic guitar. Lovely thick almost Les Paul neck.  Very resonant
    Now that is what I'm  talking about!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I've got a 78 tobacco sunburst that I've had from new.. got it in March 1980
    I still have everything that came with it..
    the case, strap, lead, spare springs in the little paper envelope, handbook and receipt

I know some collectors like all that sort of thing.. but no one will be collecting mine.. lol..
    A - I'll never sell it
    B - cos I reckon it's worth sod all as it's been modified a fair bit..
    Floyd Rose
    22nd fret added
    jumbo frets
    Hotrail at the bridge with push/pull tone control for coil tap

yes it's heavy [ash body].. and got a little heavier when the Floyd was fitted..
    but it don't worry me.. my V's are heavier [4.5kg]

I love it.. but I don't use it live anymore cos I need 24 frets..
    I still play it almost every day..
    it's sat next to me in the studio so I use it when teaching, having a workout, writing etc..
    and of course when playing just for fun..
    it's still my favourite guitar..
    play every note as if it were your first

crunchman said:
    Hate the headstock.. I'm out

This.

Once you get beyond ‘75 they are very variable. Later ones had virtually no body contours and were often exceptionally heavy.

Earlier in the decade they are generally better - though often still too heavy.

The simple fact is, a decent used CS Strat is far more likely to be a good guitar for similar or - in some cases - far less money.

You don't even need to go Custom Shop.  I've not played a lot of 70's Strats, but my Mexican Classic Series is far better than the ones I have played.  Admittedly the ones I have played have been late 70's.  The earlier ones were a bit better by all accounts.

Even if there is the odd good one, they still have that monstrosity of a headstock and should be illegal as an offence against good taste.

that fat headstock is super sexy
    play every note as if it were your first
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited March 2018
    Alnico said:
    Pretty sure @57Deluxe has owned a hardtail 70's strat from brand new, natural finish?
    indeed - 1973 Hardtail from new.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/c2/b4/f9c2b43626b517b5950f0cea7e4d2b1a.jpg

Never let me down. Never tinkered with other than an aesthetic celluloid Pickguard a few years back.

Chimey and perfect for Rhythm. Ultra slim, slim neck and shallow frets mean it is not a rock monster BUT this can sound very Rory Gallagher and Ritchie Blackmore with the right amps. Can also sound very Rickenbacker chime chordally through a Bassman--esque amp.

I remember the day I went to collect - didn't sleep a wink the night before  - I was just a wild-eyed teen with my saturday job money in my hot hand...

Used only last Friday to teach a Rory Fan Bad Penny solos... Sounded more authentic than his Rory clone...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've posted before about mine. It's a 1976 hard tail in poo colour (Brown). I bought it used about 1981 and the previous owner had played it hard as well as changed the bridge PU to one of those early DiMarzios which has a bit more bite.
    I've changed to 3 way switch to a 5 way once the original started to wear and I did a full setup/fret dress and chocked the neck socket with slivers of wood and card. It's solid now, plays like a dream and is probably my most gigged guitar ever.
    I bought it for the commercial sounds and as a back up to my Aria which was a heavy guitar anyway. This strat example had a nice neck profile (that I liked and could swap easily between playing the two guitars). So it had a poor neck socket, heavy body and naff/unfashionable colour. But it played great and sounded better than most at that time. It's not for sale although a refret is on the cards. It still gets gigged whenever I'm out.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I love CBS era necks and headstocks, but you can keep the later slabby bodies and weak pickups. 

I built the best of both worlds to me, a new old stock CBS neck from a mate whose parents' shop had gone bust in the CBS era, and a decent alder body with bridge and pickups of my choosing. 

Here's a comparison of my bitsa's contours compared to my '63. It's a  pretty close match, it's much sleeker than a late CBS body and it's a hell of a lot lighter.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2427q6u.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lljb11.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    https://www.guitars4you.co.uk/guitars/5309-fender-strat-hard-tail-natural-circa-1974/

and barely over 7lbs

@si_ - considered by many to be the last of the 70's era that are worth looking at - still have the gray bobbin pick-ups with staggered pole pieces as used on the late 60's Hendrix era models - Go a touch earlier and you can find a 70's model with the 60's vintage trem - and even a few with a 4 bolt neck and no bullet truss rod - all transition era models - Your 73 now sell for good money as well
    Nice @p90fool ;

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    edited March 2018
    The only decent 70s Strat I have ever played was a CS reissue, yes they really were that bad in the day, heavy, poory finished,huge neck slop, cast bridge saddles, all sorts  of wrong 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    /\ been offered £3,500 for mine...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    /\ been offered £3,500 for mine...
    Tear their arm off ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Found this quite interesting:

7 major Big Head Strat Eras can be distinghuised:

1. Transition period: CBS Early Years December 1965 – Summer 1971
       2. 1971-1972 CBS with a Tilt neck and one String tree; The Rebirth of the Stratocaster
       3. 1972-1974 A second string tree
       4. 1975-1976 Flush Pole Pick ups – white plastics
       5. 1976 Transition period – black guard / white knobs
       6. 1977-1979 black plastics and 11 layers of polyester
       7. 1979 Anniversary Model 4-Bolt

from here: http://amsterdamguitarcompany.com/korte-geschiedenis-strat/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited March 2018
    Found this quite interesting:

7 major Big Head Strat Eras can be distinghuised:

1. Transition period: CBS Early Years December 1965 – Summer 1971
       2. 1971-1972 CBS with a Tilt neck and one String tree; The Rebirth of the Stratocaster
       3. 1972-1974 A second string tree
       4. 1975-1976 Flush Pole Pick ups – white plastics
       5. 1976 Transition period – black guard / white knobs
       6. 1977-1979 black plastics and 11 layers of polyester
       7. 1979 Anniversary Model 4-Bolt

from here: http://amsterdamguitarcompany.com/korte-geschiedenis-strat

And you can pretty much grade them in that order too....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14581
    My musical collaborator owns this 1977 hardtail. 

https://i.imgur.com/iVodIHs.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/1Vhmo5g.jpg?1

Modifications include Schaller 'heads, MightyMite USA bridge, Velvet Hammer pickups. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    each to their own but....too heavy...body covered in yatcht varnish ..maple fretboards must be 3mm thick in varnish between the frets ..crap pick ups ..buy  a 90s for £500 and pocket the rest ,or buy a les paul to compliment it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited March 2018
    I had a 77 strat donkeys years ago, there was no real quality to it, but it did have tremendous sustain for a Strat type guitar.

Saw a guy playing one live recently and it was easily one the worst sounding strats I've ever heard.
    edited March 2018