Why does everyone hate 2015 Gibson Les Pauls so much ??

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader

Ohh and also don't forget as well as those changes they upped the prices by about 30% too that year for the privilege which is quite ironic considering how cheap they were going for about 7-8 months after their initial release.

However. For those who don't mind the neck and other things, they got a real bargain.. I will say that the finishing on the guitars that year seemed particularly good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Never played one, but when I have played guitars with wider nuts, I’ve hated them. That’s the only problem I would have with one... but it’s a deal breaker, so that’s that..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I had numerous arguments about the Gibson 2015 models on here back in early 2015. Back then I was travelling a lot and regularly nipping into guitar shops, so often that I recognised that the guitar on the wall was still the same guitar I tried on the previous visit. They simply did not move. And the shop staff quietly made it clear that they were not selling any.  Numerous twats on here swore they were selling (that's the difference between theory and experience).  The wide necks felt wrong and many had basic quality issues.

If you ever think to write "some people only look at the name on the headstock", remember the 2015 Gibsons.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    You lot are all so mean :(

But this thread has inspired me to get off my arse and get those tronical tuners off mine ce soir.  I really rather like it so ner :D 

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    because they are shit

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    because they are shit
    They weren’t - they were good guitars (or at least the ones I tried were).  
    But they were different to normal Gibsons - I could have lived with the logo but I hated the neck width and to a lesser extent I didn’t like the tuning system.    

I don’t like PRS wide fat neck so I don’t buy them, if Gibson had given people a choice of neck profile then they would have sold more guitars that year imo but they forced changes that weren’t popular and people voted with their wallets.  
    If you do like the 2015 neck then they were and are bargains.  
  • I bought one. It was a great looking and sounding guitar, QC was excellent & it even SMELLED good!!

The logo & hologram didn't bother me- there's an expression about mantle pieces and fires that springs to mind.

The robot tuners worked well. Fast and accurate. Great went the set list included different tunings. 

So far so good...
    But that neck. I TRIED to love it... I tried to like it... I tried to tolerate it... I sold it. 
    I couldn't play a barre chord without the board edge digging into my hand & after a few songs I started getting cramp. 

It DID smell good though, like chocolate. 
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    JerkMoans said:
    You lot are all so mean :(

But this thread has inspired me to get off my arse and get those tronical tuners off mine ce soir.  I really rather like it so ner :D 

Yes yes yes, the most awesome guitar that came from the 2015 line. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

About 8 months ago, I was a gnat's knacker away from buying a very nice S/H 2015 Traditional from my local emporium (rather wish I had now - the price was great and after 20 minutes, the neck really wasn't an issue).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    mli3 said:

There are still some cracking deals out there on virtually brand new LP standards from 2015.

True...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    The internet told me it was shite... B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2018
    Not me, I bloody love my 2015 junior, I have no issue with the neck, nor changing between it and a different guitar, no more difficult than going from electric to acoustic surely? Also I'm the guy that still loves the tuners.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson dumped all the 2015 guitars on Amazon at stupidly low prices. 

I guess that reflects on quality and/ or low demand.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. 

Couldn't care less about logos or stickers  - just the unplayable neck that is a tiny issue :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Gibson dumped all the 2015 guitars on Amazon at stupidly low prices. 

I guess that reflects on quality and/ or low demand.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. 

Couldn't care less about logos or stickers  - just the unplayable neck that is a tiny issue :-) 

I honestly think that @tone1 is closer to the truth.

The build quality of them was universally accepted as being great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2867
    edited March 2018
    @underdog ;;

Must have been the one I owned was the exception then or I'm making it up and just read about it on the Internet :-) 

Mine was a Trad not a Junior.. 

Saying mine was shocking is an understatement - with a virtually square fat neck, with frets that could have cut your hand and badly fitting binding... 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16794
    I have seen a few complaints about binding on the standards, but very few quality issues reported with the juniors or specials
  • There's a music shop in York that still has about 40 of the '15s on display, marked at full price. Then again that particular shop is renowned for being ridiculously overpriced. No idea how they stay in business. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Binding on the non C/S Les Pauls I've encountered has always been a little shonky, usually over scraped and ended up being a little sharp along the frets.

I had an 2015 LP Jr, got one from Amazon for pretty cheap and it was a really well put together Jr, but the neck was a deal breaker for me.  It was totally personal preference but yeah.  I actually managed to make a profit on it when I put it on eBay so not all bad!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    edited March 2018
    There's a music shop in York that still has about 40 of the '15s on display, marked at full price. Then again that particular shop is renowned for being ridiculously overpriced. No idea how they stay in business. 
    They’re probably hoping they’ll become ‘vintage’ if they hang on to them long enough....
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Arktik83 said:
     I actually managed to make a profit on it when I put it on eBay so not all bad!
    Mine was a very nice instrument, so flawless I hated getting fingermarks on it so it never left the house and hardly got played. Didn't trust the tuners. Loved the smell. Took me a while to work out what it smelt like - Amarula. 

Loved it it even more when I flogged it on for £200 profit.