Why does everyone hate 2015 Gibson Les Pauls so much ??

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    ICBM said:

I know some people do like the case too. For me, it's overly large and ugly, while not actually being as strong as it looks.
    When I bought a still then unsold 2014 Les Paul, I gave myself the option of the traditional black case or ask for the 2015 case that was partnered with a 2015 guitar I was also trying out. I went for the Gold case. Because I thought at the time, the gold case was better. In storage it is, since it stands straight. However, hearing @ICBM's criticism, I do wonder how much stronger or weaker the traditional case is compared to the Gold 2015 case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    fandango said:
    ICBM said:

I know some people do like the case too. For me, it's overly large and ugly, while not actually being as strong as it looks.
    When I bought a still then unsold 2014 Les Paul, I gave myself the option of the traditional black case or ask for the 2015 case that was partnered with a 2015 guitar I was also trying out. I went for the Gold case. Because I thought at the time, the gold case was better. In storage it is, since it stands straight. However, hearing @ICBM's criticism, I do wonder how much stronger or weaker the traditional case is compared to the Gold 2015 case.

I think the colour is what ICBM finds offensive, it is undoubtedly much stronger than the usual Les Paul case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like my 2015 Junior, the neck feels perfect to me having grown up playing a classical guitar. I also like the tuners, but I find that sometimes they have to be set to almost slack and then tuned up again to be in tune. 

Wouldn’t mind a second one and add a neck pickup to it... 
  • I picked up 3 2015 Traditionals on Amazon with the intention of flipping 2 and keeping my favourite one. Ended up selling all 3 as I couldn't ever quite get on with the wider nut. I definitely don't think they deserve the stick they get though, the G force tuners work excellently and I couldn't fault the quality control, frets were perfect and they all played spot on out the box.
    I've played far worse Gibsons made between 2009 and 2012 that would go for a lot more, there's a tonne out there to be had for stupid cheap prices if you can get on with the necks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    I have a 2015 Midtown blown out at 599 and I thinks its great .The tuners work and it plays like a dream .Rosewood board, no brass nut  and good ,at least for me ,neck .I confess I dont give  a monkeys fuck for  convention and history though .its just a musical instrument and it suits me fine .It does smell nice too .Thank you Gibson for making guitars that everyone on forums hates .It enabled me to be able to afford one at last .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BiddlinBiddlin Frets: 8
    I like the 2015s just fine. I nearly bought a tv yellow LPDC last year. The tronicals work fine for me, I have them on a Les Paul and an SG. About 120 gigs on 'em and they work great. I have had to recalibrate a couple of times in five years. The tiny difference in fretboard width would be unnoticed by a lot of players unless they knew in advance.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    underdog said:
    fandango said:

However, hearing @ICBM's criticism, I do wonder how much stronger or weaker the traditional case is compared to the Gold 2015 case.
    I think the colour is what ICBM finds offensive, it is undoubtedly much stronger than the usual Les Paul case.
    Possibly, but it's not even close to as strong as a Hiscox. If you think it is, I dare you to jump on it with your guitar inside...

It's mostly that ridiculous shaping in the top of it, the size and the lack of strength that I find offensive, not the colour.

Biddlin said:

The tiny difference in fretboard width would be unnoticed by a lot of players unless they knew in advance.
    You can't be serious. I find them almost unplayable, and I get on fine with standard Gibson necks. (Other than "50s" ones, anyway.) Instant hand cramp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23134
    JerkMoans said:
    You lot are all so mean :(

But this thread has inspired me to get off my arse and get those tronical tuners off mine ce soir.  I really rather like it so ner :D 

I think that's a great looking guitar.

I could live with the logo and the hologram, and the tuners are easily replaced.  The metal nut is odd, but interesting, not really offputting.  

If it had a narrower, fatter neck I'd have bought one, without a shadow of a doubt.  
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    ICBM said:
    underdog said:
    fandango said:

However, hearing @ICBM's criticism, I do wonder how much stronger or weaker the traditional case is compared to the Gold 2015 case.
    Possibly, but it's not even close to as strong as a Hiscox. If you think it is, I dare you to jump on it with your guitar inside...

It's mostly that ridiculous shaping in the top of it, the size and the lack of strength that I find offensive, not the colour.

Having also got a Hiscox for one of my other guitars, I know first hand how great they are. The Gibson gold case (and moulded Fender cases too) has a loose insert, whereas the internals of a Hiscox are in a different league altogether. It's construction means a far stronger and more rigid case.

Alas! Gibson, and Fender, don’t offer Hiscox (or Hiscox-type cases) with their guitars. 

For what it's worth I do think that the design of the outer moulding of Gibson’s gold case gives it a little more strength, but only compared to a hypothetical gold case without said moulding. Though it's clear by the flex in the side panels that there's not the substance/thickness/rigidity needed to really protect the guitar sat inside.

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Brass nut was shite as well, wore out super quick, i believe Gibson will replace for free if contacted
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I picked up one of the 2015 DC Specials on Amazon when they were stupidly cheap with the intention of using it as a backup/beater/dodgy venue guitar but the neck was just horrid. Still, it was cheap enough and I traded it for another guitar without too much loss!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1818

About 8 months ago, I was a gnat's knacker away from buying a very nice S/H 2015 Traditional from my local emporium (rather wish I had now - the price was great and after 20 minutes with a sander and a plane, the neck really wasn't an issue).
    corrected
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Where are people seeing these good deals on the 2015s still?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    johnl said:
    Where are people seeing these good deals on the 2015s still?
    Got mine from a fellow on here :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    I expect it's down to finding the space to store them all  B)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited March 2018
    would you want to be seen in public in this??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Unfortunately I couldn’t deal with the neck. It was comfortable in your hand but I found it very difficult / impossible to play a lot of my bands songs. 

Tuners didn’t work very well and are unintuitive to use but could be replaced so no big deal
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    It's a shame really. The 2015 LP's were made with some absolutely monster tops; arguably the best we'd seen in years.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    I had a 2015 traditional which was beautiful, perfect. I regret getting rid of it a bit as no 2016 or 2017 trad or standard I’ve tried since even comes close tbh

Unfortunately I couldn’t deal with the neck. It was comfortable in your hand but I found it very difficult / impossible to play a lot of my bands songs. 

Tuners didn’t work very well and are unintuitive to use but could be replaced so no big deal
    It was perfect but the tuners didn't work and you couldn't play it because of the neck?!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn’t mind buying a Blue LP 2015 Traditional if it was attractively priced.