own 2 identical guitars ..why ???

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14429
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Backups/spares is why I have duplicates.
    tend to agree with this - If you don't need the back up option, then I prefer 2 different guitars to give me 2 different tonal palettes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Ha I’ve gone completely the opposite way. I own the 1st (single coil) and 2nd (humbucker) guitar, skipped the usual 3rd / 4th / 5th etc and straight to the guitars you’d typically buy as your 7th and 8th!

When you have similar guitars you spend your time noting all the subtle differences, when you don’t have them side by side, you tend not to care a jot and get on and play.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28743
    Having two of each is probably good if you've gone teetotal but want to remember what it's like to be absolutely wankered. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    mark123 said: i get a guitar and think this is amazing value so if another comes along at a bargain price i will snap it up !
    That’s called ‘pound cost averaging’. It’s not uncommon in the world of equities trading, but less common in the guitar world I would think!  B)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    edited March 2018
    Looks as though I will end up with at least 3 Reverends, apart from sharing Wilkinson Trems they all have different pickup configurations and one is a Semi. ,,,,,,oooerr fnarrrr
    i do find it odd having 2 Strats 2 LP’s etc unless they are very different spec etc
  • Come at me, bros.

1reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    now all for sale in the classifieds pics to follow( friday)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    That green camo one is sick! *^^

I would have two of the same if I gigged and had bought one that I really bonded with and felt I played better on. 
    The reason for the duplicate second is that I’d set it up in an alternate tuning, so I could still feel right at home immediately when switching.  

Doesnt need to be the same colour for that though! 

Saves the hassle of trying out other guitars to see if I get on with them over time. 

Otherwise, makes sense if you are particularly fond of that one guitar, and want a back up incase of damage, theft, failure. 

Clothing on the other hand... my wardrobe looks like fucking homer simpsons. 

Went to primark, tried a pair of jeans, they fit me great, looked good on my abnormal body and were £10. So I bought 3. All the exact same. 

Popped into Sports direct, found a plain black firefrap t-shirt, fitted great, didnt do that tent shit, so bought 6. 

Everyday I feel like I look good. Self confidence is a bitch.... 
    Downside is, to people I see often, they must presume I wear the same shirt and jeans every day! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    p90fool said:
    I need two guitars which can cover similar ground without changing amp settings just as gig backup, but if they're too similar one of them never gets played. 
    same for me...
    I have a couple of pairs of guitars..
    bust a string on stage and switch to the spare which sounds, feels and is functionally the same
    play every note as if it were your first
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Come at me, bros.

Nope, that's just cool as fuck. Jealous.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    I have two Epiphone LP Standards that I have modded to have the exact same pickups, capacitors and other electrics.

Why?

I loved how the first one sounded when I finished and wanted to have the same sound in standard tuning and half step down tuning.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    2 max at one time for me usually. Just for a variety of sounds really 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    I'm sure there are many members here that have more than 2 of the same instrument. If basses count I have 8 jazz basses. That looks quite bad written down.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tunings. I've got 2 LPs and they are in different tunings because I'm lazy

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    abw1989 said:
    I have two Epiphone LP Standards that I have modded to have the exact same pickups, capacitors and other electrics.

Why?

I loved how the first one sounded when I finished and wanted to have the same sound in standard tuning and half step down tuning.

would a digitech drop not achieve the same thing?
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Whenever I'm in an actively gigging band, I like to have a pair of guitars/basses that are as similar as possible. That way, if you need a mid-set switch for a string break, alternate tuning etc, it is less likely to completely change the sound.
  • sgosden said:
    abw1989 said:

Why?

Depends how loud you play. I had a Whammy DT for that purpose (although I tuned a half step down and used the DT to bring me back up to regular tuning) and unless I played quite loud I could hear the acoustic strings which gave the whole thing an exaggerated chorus'y sound to it - not great for late night noodling after the next door neighbours baby is in bed!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    sgosden said:
    abw1989 said:

Why?

Depends how loud you play. I had a Whammy DT for that purpose (although I tuned a half step down and used the DT to bring me back up to regular tuning) and unless I played quite loud I could hear the acoustic strings which gave the whole thing an exaggerated chorus'y sound to it - not great for late night noodling after the next door neighbours baby is in bed!

ahhh yes that, its yucky. I tend to use headphones at home, and lotsa volume for rehearsals/live. Even with good isolating headphones, I think I can still feel a difference with the vibrations I think.

Worth it for the cost saving when my main band tune to C, and my side project is in B. the price of a drop is much preferable to an extra guitar & backup. 

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    edited March 2018
    Tunings. I've got 2 LPs and they are in different tunings because I'm lazy
    This is an awesome excuse

"Darling, how many guitars does one man need?"

"Well, I need at least one Fender, one Gibson and something interesting and different from another manufacturer. I also need at least one of each of the common body types - solid, semi hollow and acoustic, I need at least one sunburst guitar. and some with a relic'd finish, Then I need at least one of each of the most common pickup configurations - single coils, humbuckers, P90s, plus one or two that have combinations of these. I need at least one hard tail, one trem and one locking trem. Then I need a 12 string and a baritone. Although I should probably sell it, I really want to keep my first proper guitar for sentimental reasons. And then I need to get two of each of these because I sometimes play in drop D and am too lazy to turn the tuning peg to the right pitch. So, to answer your question, I need about eleventy billion guitars"

"But darling, don't you play mostly at home, using a modeller into headphones on high gain presets? Can you really tell the difference"

"Er......"

;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    One word... “redundancy”...

If a something breaks mid set you can quickly switch to the “same” guitar... it’s the same reason you take at least two amps to a show... and the same reason you have a backup pedal board/cables/spare strings etc...