own 2 identical guitars ..why ???

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
i own 2 epiphone lp customs white ..was going to put p90s in one but havent got around to it,also own 2 classic vibe customs and 2 cherry red epiphone dots..am i mad !???i get a guitar and think this is amazing value so if another comes along at a bargain price i will snap it up !anyone the same? how do i stop?i want to concentrate more on playing and not going through these ads every day..anyone in the same boat ?probs not
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited March 2018
    Sell them all and buy one stonker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27257
    Yes, mad. 

I don't see the point in having similar guitars. The whole point of having multiple guitars, for me, is how the variety that they provide brings out variety in my own playing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    so that you can keep one mint at home, and use the other one for gigging and other dink-likely activities?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If they’re completely identical I don’t get it. If you’re getting different neck shapes, pickups etc it’s easier to understand. I have several LPs but each is very different in terms of feel, sound and appearance.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31677
    I need two guitars which can cover similar ground without changing amp settings just as gig backup, but if they're too similar one of them never gets played. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Backups/spares is why I have duplicates.
  • I've got a few guitars and of them, there are a couple of Les Paul's.  One is a gold top classic custom and the other is an ES LP.  They're very different beasts and that's why I can justify them...I don't think I'd personally be interested in having multiple versions of the exact same guitar unless it was for a gigging backup.
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    I have two the same. Traditional trem set to float in different tunings is why I have both. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited March 2018
    I have 2 similar ones. Different colours and woods but effectively both jazzmasters. Ones the main gigging guitar the other is the backup
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I don't, but if I gigged regularly I might - one to play and a backup.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    doesn't @TTony have about 30 identical guitars?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2018
    so that you can keep one mint at home, and use the other one for gigging and other dink-likely activities?
    But what's the point in that? Just means one is less likely to get played and you'll get too used to the other. Two that are slightly different is another story, but two of the exact same model is madness IMO.

I agree with those saying sell up - ditch at least one of each and buy something great with the money you make. Absolutely no need - the only circumstance I could imagine doing it is if I decided to collect a certain old model of guitar that I had an affinity for and was rare enough that it was a cool thing to have more than one of. For example, my dad has often pondered getting another old Ibanez Artist 2663 to match the one he already has.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2323
    No, but on gigs I like to take out a spare that is similar enough to the main guitar that I can switch to it without too much fuss.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I have at least two of various guitars because I need to be able to pick up the spare at a gig when I break a string.
  • I can’t understand why you’d have one Les Paul, let alone two. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27704
    sgosden said:
    doesn't @TTony have about 30 identical guitars?
    I've told you a million times about exaggerating @sgo;

And anyway, they're different.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got 3 sets of "identical twins" guitar pairs that I've used for comparing pickups, bridges, etc.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    well looks like i will be selling a few...how do you decide which one to keep and which one to go ?
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    Yes, mad.

Are they much different?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    nope  :# :/ their will a few for sale in the classifieds within the next couple of days