own 2 identical guitars ..why ???

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1495
    I would dispute that there are two identical guitars.  I have about 16 strats, with original 57, 60 & 63 and various Bravewoods and partsocasters.  With different woods, pickups and other options, none of them sound the same.  I can play all of our set on any guitar, it's just a case of setting some pedals differently.  One time when I was playing bass in a band, I had to do the whole set on fretless, so that gave me enough confidence not to worry.  Most of the time there won't be anyone in the audience who notices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2206
    Fretwired said:
    I don't, but if I gigged regularly I might - one to play and a backup.

Yes, if I start gigging regularly and very seriously again I'd consider getting another same spec HSS Strat. I always take a spare guitar but a different model.

It's not a competition.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    well i knew this would happen,problems  deciding which one to sell, epiphone lp custom ,chinese one lovely yellowing plays great but very light,other one is korean ,nice heavy weight but anemic white, if the korean had the yellow colour no problem, but after 18yrs i dont think it will change now 
  • @mark123 did you see this thread adjacent to yours?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/128486/the-effect-of-sunlight-on-poly-finishes#latest

Hold back on selling either LP and try leaving the bright white one near a window for a while. If it doesn't work, sell it and keep the other one!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3606
    Keep the Korean!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Come at me, bros.

So cool, what model is it?
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    robgilmo said:
    Keep the Korean!
    is it just a myth that korean build are better than chinese? ,the my les paul forum think ,so saying their are good and bad from both ,so judge the guitar on playability /sound ,not where it was built 

or am i wrong?
  • i always take two guitars to a gig, one as a bckup/spare. i dont care if they are very diiferent, ie, an LP and a tele. so what, they might sound, feel different etc but no one in the audience cares, they all sound close enough
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    mark123 said:
    robgilmo said:
    Keep the Korean!
    is it just a myth that korean build are better than chinese? ,the my les paul forum think ,so saying their are good and bad from both ,so judge the guitar on playability /sound ,not where it was built 

or am i wrong?
    MLP have got a real thing about Chinese XYZ regardless of the topic, and anything not bought from their sponsors or members is a Chibson. There is some great stuff on that forum but it's so hard to find among the hysterical nonsense that it's seldom worth the effort.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    mark123 said:
    i own 2 epiphone lp customs white ..was going to put p90s in one but havent got around to it,also own 2 classic vibe customs and 2 cherry red epiphone dots..am i mad !???i get a guitar and think this is amazing value so if another comes along at a bargain price i will snap it up !anyone the same? how do i stop?i want to concentrate more on playing and not going through these ads every day..anyone in the same boat ?probs not
    I'm in the same boat in that I bought a second Washburn Mercury so I could use its scratchplate as a template for my first Mercury as the latter's was missing and there were no plates or template available.
  • vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
    edited March 2018
    I don’t think it is nuts at all. I am ordering a second Suhr Classic Antique as I love the way they play and prefer the build and QC to strats I have sampled. One will be used for E flat tuning and have chunkier strings, be used for blues (a la SRV) and have the trem set against the body, the other will have HSS and be standard tuning and have the trem the float. I like having one guitar with lighter strings so I can play it if I get tried of heavier strings.

edit: btw, it might just be me, but i have never liked the idea of having one strat being ‘lower quality’ to another, as I fear the ‘better one’ will never get played, so if they are the same quality then atleast i can vary their setups and pickups without affecting quality and fee of the neck too much
  • thegummy said:
    Come at me, bros.

So cool, what model is it?
    It's the old Ibanez John Petrucci signature model, JPM100. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1970
    Love those ^ and especially the one with flashes of pink and turquioise on it.

I'm one of these guys that has to have two...

x2 G&L George Fullerton Signatures
    x2 G&L L2000s
    x2 Yamaha SGs
    x2 LAG Roxanes
    x2 LAG Superstrats
    x2 Cort A4s
    x2 Charvel Stars
    x2 Fender American Vintage Reissues (Shite!)

I'm sure there has been others, but I can't think of them right now. I'm not sure why I do it, although I do play both evenly.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Schnozz said:
    Love those ^ and especially the one with flashes of pink and turquioise on it.

I'm one of these guys that has to have two...

x2 G&L George Fullerton Signatures
    x2 G&L L2000s
    x2 Yamaha SGs
    x2 LAG Roxanes
    x2 LAG Superstrats
    x2 Cort A4s
    x2 Charvel Stars
    x2 Fender American Vintage Reissues (Shite!)

I'm sure there has been others, but I can't think of them right now. I'm not sure why I do it, although I do play both evenly.
    Wow, this has to be a form of OCD.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853

Two of the same is just silly.

Four the same is very silly.

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsyams1jpg
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1970
    Paul_C said:

Two of the same is just silly.

Four the same is very silly.

httpwwwarrowheadguitarscoukpicsyams1jpg
     =) Banana Yellow
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited April 2018
    I bought a 1993 Patrick Eggle New York Standard in 2003 after 15 years of playing guitar, and it swiftly became my main instrument of choice. Then 2 years ago it needed some repair and I started to get worried about what I would gig with if it bust completely, so I got another from the same year. Most gigs I take both with me but the second one is just a spare: I usually do the whole gig on one guitar.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    ...cos you should've gone to Spec Savers...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited April 2018
    Whenever I'm in an actively gigging band, I like to have a pair of guitars/basses that are as similar as possible. That way, if you need a mid-set switch for a string break, alternate tuning etc, it is less likely to completely change the sound.
    Yes! Back in my early twenties, I had a pair of Ibanez RG560's. My logic was based on playing lots of gigs. If you broke a string, you could swap to an identical guitar. 

Since then, I like @MattBanshee have tried to use two similar sounding guitars live.