John Mayer? I don't get it.

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    Good songwriter, great guitarist imho,.

I don’t like everything he’s done, for example his latest effort was a disappointment for me, but I certainly wish I had his talent. Never going to be able to play some of his chords though, not unless I somehow manage to double my hand size!
    I love my brick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    John Mayer fills some pretty big shoes in what remains of the Grateful Dead and does an admirable job of it:

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    John Mayer is a very talented player, whose output by and large leaves me cold.

Which takes nothing away from his talent and application of course.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Nice playing at the 25:00 mark.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried to do a whole album but after skimming a few I find all a bit cringeworthy.  He is obviously a great guitarist and has a cracking career but I can't manage to sit through it...feels embarrassing. That said giving him a try did set me onto Isaiah Sharkey and then to D'Angelo's Black Messiah album which has some fantastic playing from him and the band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.

He gets some great Strat tones, has some really nice gear and plays some softish bluesy stuff but his songs and singing don't seem to be particularly exciting and I don't see much fire, grit or passion.

Am I missing something? I have his Continuum album but the songs seem pretty middle of the road and tame.

In the interest of balance I don't get you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    ennspek said:
    John Mayer seems to be revered, Lee Anderton is self confessed ‘gay for Mayer’ but I don't get it.

He gets some great Strat tones, has some really nice gear and plays some softish bluesy stuff but his songs and singing don't seem to be particularly exciting and I don't see much fire, grit or passion.

Am I missing something? I have his Continuum album but the songs seem pretty middle of the road and tame.

Drivel....
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Chalky said:
    Nice playing at the 25:00 mark.

Humbuckers and a Floyd Rose and it sounds just like Mayer..... there is a debate here somewhere about gear and tone
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    And, of course, he’s really cool isn’t he!
    Er...

http://i68.tinypic.com/dm5yk0.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    ennspek said:

You can't deny your feelings forever, come on, 'fess up, you know you have a man crush on me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Its funny but I've been watching clips of Mayer recently and all I can say is I do get it - Great player, listening to free falling (live) and its just great stripped down and played with emotion just how I like it ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    Nikc said:
    Its funny but I've been watching clips of Mayer recently and all I can say is I do get it - Great player, listening to free falling (live) and its just great stripped down and played with emotion just how I like it ;)
    Just watched that on your recommendation. I agree - it’s superb...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I'd have to say I agree with lee ;) 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    His cover of Free Falling live in LA is brilliant. It's a relatively basic melody, then he adds in lot of passing notes, and still manages to sing perfectly over the top.

I do think a lot of his stuff is pretty bland, but then you try playing it, and realise just how good he really is. Some of the stuff he plays and sings at the same time makes you appreciate just how good he is.