Vacuum cleaners - wtf ?

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    If you're on a budget, have large biceps and have the space to store it.....Henry.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Sebo.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Shark Duo Clean - either the rocket if you want something portable or the lift away if you want the granddaddy of them all. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Sporky said:
    boogieman said:
    Another Miele fan here. Our last one was 10 years old and still going strong until a builder doing our extension  “borrowed” it to clean up a load of rubble.
    That, right there, is why you need a Henry as well.
    So the builder could wreck that instead? 

;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    i now have the 'family' henry... its 37 years old and still going strong, even after being in my loft for 10 years and a mouse building its nest in him  :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My Mum wants a Shark -- supposedly best on market right now

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/vacuum-cleaners/shark/brand

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

For 5 minutes.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    joneve said:
    Shark Duo Clean - either the rocket if you want something portable or the lift away if you want the granddaddy of them all. 
    Certainly our Shark Rocket is as good as our Dyson ( yes, we have two vacuum cleaners*) at about half the price. Had it about a year and no reliability issues so far and very compact to put away. 

* Actually we have three but the Vax lives in the garage as MrsTheWeary hated it so much she insisted we replace it. My mother has a Vax and I was using it on Sunday ( following some macho furniture moving) and that was crap. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    Anyone remember Kirbys .... sales reps used to come to your door and persuade you into a demo and a hard sale. The things cost about £900 in the eighties and buying them on the drip meant you can spend around £1400 in total!!

They did come with various attachments though to operate air tools and spray your car :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4180
    I connected our Henry to the planer, put on my hearing protection, didn't notice it had filled full of oak chips, and left it running until the motor failed.  Literally tried to kill it. 

Try it at home if you like, kids - simply turn on your hoover, block the hose, and leave it running.

I'd like to bet that if it was a Dyson you couldn't fix it with a philips screwdriver and a quick reseating of a spade connector.
    There used to be a system which meant you had a socket in each room leading to a cylinder in the garage. So you just plugged a hose into an opening in the wall, presumably you had to empty the cylinder ever so often. I knew someone who had this, almost the same as having your house rewired. I can't remember the total cost but it was pretty bloody expensive, certainly in the £1000s. 
    As far as I know it never caught on. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28390
    Central air systems are very popular in the US.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • randellarandella Frets: 4180
    There used to be a system which meant you had a socket in each room leading to a cylinder in the garage. So you just plugged a hose into an opening in the wall, presumably you had to empty the cylinder ever so often. I knew someone who had this, almost the same as having your house rewired. I can't remember the total cost but it was pretty bloody expensive, certainly in the £1000s. 
    I had that system in reverse - it was called 'warm air heating'.

Popular in America, but not here.  Incredibly efficient at two things - heating the house quickly, and distributing dust and cooking smells.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:
    I had that system in reverse - it was called 'warm air heating'.

Popular in America, but not here.  Incredibly efficient at two things - heating the house quickly, and distributing dust and cooking smells.
    I was watching some daft YouTube thing about a Canadian coming to live in the UK and she hated radiators, couldn't understand why we didn't have warm air heating. Perhaps she really likes the smell of cooking. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8719
    randella said:
    I connected our Henry to the planer, put on my hearing protection, didn't notice it had filled full of oak chips, and left it running until the motor failed.  Literally tried to kill it. 
    You need Henry’s big brother: https://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nvd750-workshop-vacuum-extractor-ax782721

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7442
    TTony said:
    TimmyO said:

I need to buy vacuum cleaner. 
    Presumably a toaster is somewhere on your to-buy list ...
    Dude, priorities- already got that, kettle, wine cooler, cocktail shaker - the essentials 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    Danny1969 said:
    Anyone remember Kirbys .... sales reps used to come to your door and persuade you into a demo and a hard sale. The things cost about £900 in the eighties and buying them on the drip meant you can spend around £1400 in total!!

They did come with various attachments though to operate air tools and spray your car :)

My parents were suckered in to buying one in the early 90s, but have still got it today as it’s built like a tank and they’ve spent a small fortune having it serviced every year!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Dyson aftercare is very good, if you buy into the whole Dyson lifestyle
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Jalapeno said:
    Dyson aftercare is very good, if you buy into the whole Dyson lifestyle
    Move your production to China whilst campaigning for Brexit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    BigMonka said:
    Danny1969 said:

My parents were suckered in to buying one in the early 90s, but have still got it today as it’s built like a tank and they’ve spent a small fortune having it serviced every year!
    We bought one as well in the 80’s to help my cousin out who got a job selling them. Very expensive built like a tank and weighed about as much as one!
    Previously known as stevebrum