Origin Effects Revival drive ..

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9537
    I’m quite surprised that two have been put on the chopping block already 
    Gav, I'm not to be honest...

They are incredibly expensive, and in some cases, you could buy a decent amp for this money.

I was never personally convinced by the hype and the 'ghost' control spiel.

Still, I haven't played one so I guess you can tell me to foxtrot...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 393
    Decided digital modelling is still not a leap i will make. So Revival drive is not selling now.
    It is a stunning pedal. Yes expensive, but i believe worth it.
    Jon
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 571
    I really like it so far - I think the only reason you would want to get rid of is for digital or because you don't want as much tied up in terms of value.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited July 2018
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is recorded using my Revival Drive. Most of the demos I’ve seen so far have seemed to concentrate on the cranked amp tone mostly. My SotM thing is a Jazzabilly cleanish Strat thing so a bit different from most of the demos.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm38-2018-07
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I’m quite surprised that two have been put on the chopping block already 
    im not. Out of all the things pedal wise, drive pedals usually get flipped the most. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Rowby1 said:
    If anyone’s interested my Solo Of The Month entry this month is recorded using my Revival Drive. Most of the demos I’ve seen so far have seemed to concentrate on the cranked amp tone mostly. My SotM thing is a Jazzabilly cleanish Strat thing so a bit different from most of the demos.

Love that style of playing and tone mate. Brilliant stuff! Talk us through the set up gear wise.
    AlexO said:
    Rowby1 said:

Love that style of playing and tone mate. Brilliant stuff! Talk us through the set up gear wise.
    Okay, it’s a (heavily modified) Strat Plus Deluxe (with Oil City 55 pickups). The signal chain is guitar-Revival Drive-Strymon Flint-Mooer Radar (using one of the Celestion IRs) - Mbox3 Pro-Protools.

On the Revival Drive I used the valve rectifier channel with the gain (Volume) around 10 o’clock, fully wet, ghost at 12 o’clock, minimum negative feedback, lows at 12 o’clock. Neck pickup on the guitar with volume down to around 6. The Flint was just adding a bit of spring reverb and I added a bit of room ambience and slap back delay in my DAW.
    @dangriffiths @lukedlb ;

Gents, do you own one, and what are your thoughts ?
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Close to buying one. Resisting. But close. 
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 571
    Got one - very good with my tweaking so far. Has plexi to gainy JCM covered. The mid boost is also really handy. I think it could step up to be a lot of people’s only drive pedal. 

The @peachguitarsdotcom demo is the best one to watch. 
    Yep...drive pedals done ...no more flipping eck flipping here. Sorry also use a RYRA pedal to push. 
    You were right regarding the Origin Effects Revival Drive guys; it is stunning, and without a shadow the best OD I've encountered. Well, to call it an overdrive pedal is unfair - similar to the Kingsley stuff this is like a fantastic amp in itself.

I couldn't imagine there is a sound in this box that you wouldn't like.

Incredible and amazing, and along with the UAD Ox, I reckon the new boys on the block have nailed it !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    So @Wazmeister, now you have the revival drive and the HX FX? that sounds a dream setup!

I couldn't imagine there is a sound in this box that you wouldn't like
    Trust me, I've managed to make it sound horrible! You're probably way more skilled than me at dialling it in, I'm still finding my way around it. It genuinely can sound epic but it does need a bit of time (certainly for someone like me) to get to grips with it.

I've yet to gig it but I've rehearsed with it a couple of times. The trickiest thing is getting to top end frequencies to sit right for me. Also found the valve rectified sides compression a bit tricky in a band setting, I think live I'd probably use the dip switch setting to make both sides silicone rectified. 

I stand by my earlier comments, some people will love it and some people won't get on with it. For me though, having now had it for a few weeks, I think it's a remarkable piece of work by Simon and the Origin team.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Just a plea to the OP to fix the spelling in the title of this thread :)
    cbellanga said:
    So @Wazmeister, now you have the revival drive and the HX FX? that sounds a dream setup!
    It is mate !

I love the HX, as you all know by now, and the Revival Drive (on these early showings is superb). I'm even thinking of sending the standard one back, and buying the Custom. One setting for the Rambler at home, and one setting for the Redplate ?

We shall see.

More to follow when it's settled :)
    Spelling corrected! Thanks
    Well spotted...enjoy the drive
    Jon
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    JonHosker said:
    Spelling corrected! Thanks
    Well spotted...enjoy the drive
    Jon
    Thanks - that calms my OCD a little :)

R.
    CDO....alphabetical order please!
    edited August 2018
    Dan on TPS mentioned today about their review on the Revival Drive that they have just done and coming v. soon. Dan made a comment today about it having a very immediate attack where everything has same volume no matter how hard strings are played.
    Compared to Walrus Warhorn he is testing.
    Anyone found this?