Origin Effects Revival drive ..

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    I must of been living under a rock again... just seen this tonight. Watched a few YouTube vids... J LeonardJ makes it sound ace..Not sure how much they are... I’ve just sold a Chase Bliss Brothers because I thought that had too many knobs and switches...I like basic gear really, so probably not for me but you never know  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yeah, I've been put off. No doubt it can be made to sound great but too much knob twiddling required for my liking.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    I think it looks brilliant and it takes a kind of genius to bother building it when everyone else is fixated on digital. I just wish I coud afford it :) 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Rowby1 said:
    @dindude not sure what you’re hearing regarding the “papery sound”. Have you listened to my Solo Of The Month thing from last month? Can you detect the same thing there? Also the Shawn Tubbs demo? 
    Had a listen to your solo of the month and the intro to the Shawn Tubbs demo. Both are great playing for sure and in no way bad tones, but in every demo it sounds compressed, like it has a compressor permantly on, I think that’s the papery thing I’m hearing. It’s a taste thing, I like my overdrives to be wide open and really uncompressed. I’d go so far as to say I just don’t like the sound of it, which is great news for my wallet!
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 393
    Believe me...it is not 'papery' ... solid, clear and strong drive tones...never heard anything as good...but its just my opinion.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    JonHosker said:
    Believe me...it is not 'papery' ... solid, clear and strong drive tones...never heard anything as good...but its just my opinion.
    Which is def more valid than mine as I’m going off YouTube clips only. But not inspired enough to explore further.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    dindude said:
    Rowby1 said:
    @dindude not sure what you’re hearing regarding the “papery sound”. Have you listened to my Solo Of The Month thing from last month? Can you detect the same thing there? Also the Shawn Tubbs demo? 
    Had a listen to your solo of the month and the intro to the Shawn Tubbs demo. Both are great playing for sure and in no way bad tones, but in every demo it sounds compressed, like it has a compressor permantly on, I think that’s the papery thing I’m hearing. It’s a taste thing, I like my overdrives to be wide open and really uncompressed. I’d go so far as to say I just don’t like the sound of it, which is great news for my wallet!
    I'm not particularly defending the Revival Drive here as I don't have one and have not played through one, but overdrive, almost by definition, compresses the signal. I'd like to understand what you mean by "wide open and really uncompressed"?

What's an example of a sound that you like?

R.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Mine doesn't sound compressed, but then I am generally using it for lower gain sounds. At high gains it will exhibit some 'sag', especially on the Valve Rectifier side.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Wasn’t blown away by the TPS demo, but then they didn’t dial in a decent tone for 40 minutes!  Good thing too - don’t need to be spending £650, especially with a KOT on order.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    dindude said:
    Rowby1 said:
    Okay, well I can’t speak for Shawn Tubbs video but you’re correct in that there is compression on my SotM track all the time for sure. Not from the RD probably but from a compressor plugin on the guitar track and a limiter on the master fader too.  The RD was set quite “low gain” and probably (can’t quite remember that far back) on the silicon rectified side so if any compression is noticeable it’ll be most likely from elsewhere in the signal chain. Certainly with higher gain settings and on the valve rectified side it can/does compress/sag significantly.....but it doesn’t have to be set that way. 
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 405
    I went in early on the Revival Drive...decided against the Deluxe version as the extra EQ was just waaay to much tweak-ability for my liking.  I have it set up as 2 distinct sounds, the Valve Rectifier side is set up as a clean blackface style, whereas the Silicone side is very much a crunchy Plexi style. I've experimented with extra drive and boost before and after, the KOT seems to work very nicely in conjunction with it, as does the D&M Drive (which I generally have before if it's on the board.

I've moved away from having it always on, preferring to rely more on my amp tone, but now considering maybe using it with more of a flat response poweramp set up. It's certainly a very interesting piece of kit, not sure about the rhetoric of it replacing all of your drive pedals, but it's great to switch easily with 3 distinct amp sounds if you're just running 1 amp set up.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9535
    For the doubters, I will say that this is one of the best OD pedals I've used, and is much easier to use 'in the flesh' than you would believe.

I have tried the RD with a few varying amps, all with great results. 

But, I no longer own mine and sent it back...

Why ?

Well, ultimately (like a lot of high end pedals) it proved to be too much money invested in one pedal; over £600 is a lot of scratch, and I decided that this cash could be better used elsewhere.

Nonetheless, I can wholeheartedly recommend the RD.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I sometimes wonder what these pedal designers' target market is? Surely not the struggling musician but more for the rich and frustrated dentists and lawyers  ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9535
    edited August 2018
    I sometimes wonder what these pedal designers' target market is? Surely not the struggling musician but more for the rich and frustrated dentists and lawyers  
    Thing is, I guess we are the target audience !

Not many struggling musicians or dentists/lawyers on here
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    They sell well in the States I think

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    I’d be interested in a cheaper smaller version with less options  :)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I sometimes wonder what these pedal designers' target market is? Surely not the struggling musician but more for the rich and frustrated dentists and lawyers  
    Thing is, I guess we are the target audience !

Not many struggling musicians or dentists/lawyers on here
    We'll I meant relatively speaking of course ;) He'll of a price for an OD pedal  really :( it'll be no surprise to you all that I won't be buying one ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    tone1 said:
    I’d be interested in a cheaper smaller version with less options  :)
    That's what I thought before I got one, now I wouldn't be without the two channels and the Re-amp EQ. If I were flying to gigs (!) so that I needed to match it to any supplied backline, I would have sprung for the custom option too.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Yet to try one but hope to! If you have the mental capacity to navigate a DAW properly then a deep OD pedal shouldn't prove too much of a challenge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Took me about 5 minutes to get good Plexi and JCM800 sounds - no video or read of manual even. If you want to tweak then obviously you can  but you don't need to in order to enjoy it.