Origin Effects Revival drive ..

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 393
    Despite my happy times with this pedal,
    I am now selling mine. Fickle I am, but need to release some cash...see classifields if interested. Guess many of you have also been here with pedals....sonic journey? Daft appath me?!
    I dunno!
    All the best
    Jon
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    I've been watching demos of this again lately. 

What are the odds of a single channel version getting announced at NAMM? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11898
    shaunm said:
    BBBlues said:
    Two people who make a living off pedals take 40 mins to dial it in. It’d probably take me 40 days.

If you’re a tweeker I’d imagine this is heaven, so probably the dream. For me however from a practical point of view it just doesn’t work. Horses for courses and all that. 
    +1 

for the same reason I’ve never bought a Strymon Big Sky or Timeline or a Mesa Boogie.

It looks so conplex and difficult that I know I’d get bored before I started. 
    I don't agree with this sentiment

Amps with lots of controls (e.g. Dumble HRM clones) give the the option to dial in YOUR sound, rather than buying and selling on 20+ more inflexible amps. It takes a while to find the sound you want, then you use that and don't touch the dials much afterwards.

Reducing the number of controls would mean reducing the flexibility of what you can choose to do

This is the same reason that most DAW studio mixing gear has loads of controls, same with synthesizers - so that the sound can be fine-tuned. Even then, once the desired sound has been found. people typically save the settings to a preset and use it again next time, they don't dial in everything from scratch every time

You can of course let someone else decide what your sound is, and just take what you are given. I did that for a long time, and decided it didn't work for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    It seems like many of those who have owned the Revival Drive & contributed to this thread have since moved theirs on. Is anyone still digging the pedal?

I'm considering picking one up, definitely the big box version (for the ghost notes feature) and possibly the custom version.

The plan is to have the silicon side set up to mimic a Marshall Superlead & the valve side for a Vox style tone. I'll be using it directly into a JTM45 clone.

Is there any other pedal I should be looking at instead?

If I do go for the Revival Drive, is the Custom version necessary?

• I recently purchased the compact version, and have almost immediately bought the full sized custom version.

I was absolutely blown away by the compact, and will have my first play around with the big box tomorrow. Seriously awesome sounding thing.

I too want to set up one side like a Marshall and the other like a Vox. How did you decide which side was going to be which @breadfan?
    @smudge_lad Is that the one that I had my eye on in the classifieds?! 

I haven't even tried the pedal yet but from various YouTube videos & a quick look through the manual, the silicon side is best suited to the Superlead sound & the valve side to a classic Vox tone. There are suggested settings for each in the manual & the Marshall sounds very convincing from the clips I've listened to. 

Please do report back tomorrow!

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited February 2020
    breadfan said:
    It seems like many of those who have owned the Revival Drive & contributed to this thread have since moved theirs on. Is anyone still digging the pedal?

I'm considering picking one up, definitely the big box version (for the ghost notes feature) and possibly the custom version.

The plan is to have the silicon side set up to mimic a Marshall Superlead & the valve side for a Vox style tone. I'll be using it directly into a JTM45 clone.

I bought in the first batch. Still own it .

I think the ‘ghost noting’ is worth it. 

I chose the custom version, and foot pedal,
     but in reality, I’m so happy with the two (standard) channels,
     that I would have been just as happy with  the standard big box alone

the custom panel is a brighter eq,
    but I’m already playing humbuckers into tweed,
     and with the RD on standard  settings , I don’t need any more high frequencies .

hope that helps

Still have mine and it’s going nowhere. I’m all about plexi sounds, which means that when the day comes I’ll have a whole other pedal to play with. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2020
    breadfan said:

I bought the compact when it was first released and have now upgraded to the bigger box. It’s exactly the sound I love I.e. a cranked amp etc. However it can be tamed like a real amp. Love it. 

I’ve still got the compact but in its box on a shelf. May have to sell it on but can’t do it at the moment  

The custom isn’t necessary imo unless you have various amps that you’d need to dial in a sound as all amps are different. I only have the one amp now so that’s not an issue for me. One thing for sure is you must get the optional foot switch to get the best out of the RD. I got the switcher interface that I can hook up to my Boss ES5  
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    @hotpickups is right, custom version is good if you have different amps. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I have a big-box custom and standard and they are the best ODs I've ever used, after years of high-end alternatives including about half a dozen Kingsleys (Jester, Jouster, Juggler, Minstrel, Harlot and Page twice). For Marshall and Fender tones and feel I doubt they can be beaten.

They do not do a cranked 5e3 tone as well as other impersonators.

I would only buy the RD custom now if I was using lots of different amps. The standard can be tweaked to complement whatever you have. 

Thanks to all for the helpful replies - I'm sold!

I'm obviously pleased, too, that the custom version isn't necessary.

the custom panel is a brighter eq, but I’m already playing humbuckers into tweed,and with the RD on standard  settings , I don’t need any more high frequencies .
    I've actually got a 5e3 style amp as well but I didn't think the Revival Drive would work well with it, as it really doesn't do a clean sound with humbuckers. I wonder what amps Origin had in mind when they added the extra EQ controls?

• I had my first proper play of the RD Compact yesterday. It's properly brilliant. Sounds great on pretty much every combination of settings, and happily leans between Marshall, Vox and blackface Fender depending on EQ and presence settings. Very happy with it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I had my first proper play of the RD Compact yesterday. It's properly brilliant. Sounds great on pretty much every combination of settings, and happily leans between Marshall, Vox and blackface Fender depending on EQ and presence settings. Very happy with it
    This is why I’m in no rush selling my compact even though I’ve upgraded to the RD. Just in case I ever wanted the room back on my board for something else I fancy ;) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/