Price Fixing...?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    this has been an interesting thread so far but one point I feel needs to be raised is that the original link is to the MIA website which is trade only, not that you can’t find it if you know where to look. The or point I’m making is I am very wary of putting links like this up as I believe they should remain trade only and not discussed on a public forum wondered what the collective wisdom is?
    It's the first hit on Google for "music industry association".

It's a public website.

If there's content that the MIA want to keep "trade only" then I presume that it will be behind a membership wall, ie a non-public part of the site.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684

Rocker said:
    The price of guitars and amps have not kept up with the wages earned by players. A Fender cost many multiples of my weekly wage in the ‘70s. Now anyone with a half decent salary can pay for it in a week or two. 

Whilst this is undoubtedly true if you compare the '70s to the present, it has not been the case for the last few years. Many people haven't seen a pay increase for two or three years now, but prices for  guitars etc seem to have risen way beyond inflation.

Looking at stuff I've bought in the the last few years...

2015 Fender MIM Strat £440 - now £527
    2016  OrangeCrush Pro CR60C £369 - now £469

...so that's 20% over three years (so about 6% annually), and 27% over two years (13% annually) so by my reckoning both are running way ahead of inflation.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2453
    Oh I could tell you all some stories. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    HAL9000 said:

Looking at stuff I've bought in the the last few years...

2015 Fender MIM Strat £440 - now £527
    2016  OrangeCrush Pro CR60C £369 - now £469

...so that's 20% over three years (so about 6% annually), and 27% over two years (13% annually) so by my reckoning both are running way ahead of inflation.
    That's because of the price hikes that were imposed when the £/$ rate fell post-Brexit vote.  Lots of prices increased by c20% then purely because of the  fall in £.

As noted above, that exchange rate is now just about back to where it was, so naturally, £ prices of US goods will shortly be reduced by a large part of that 20% ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    Oh I could tell you all some stories. ;-)
    we all could and your father in law can add more to that - yet so much is history now of firms that no longer exist - be it wholesales or dealers - Not sure what the current score is regarding retro discounts
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    TTony said:

As noted above, that exchange rate is now just about back to where it was, so naturally, £ prices of US goods will shortly be reduced by a large part of that 20% ...
    That's how the market works if there's no price fixing. That being the reason this is happening in the first place. And yes, I assume you were being sarcastic, I was replying to the people who think investigating this sort of thing is a waste of time.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5428
    edited April 2018
    Since when do prices ever go down?
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    when the market collapses - I think it is now assumed that rising prices on guitars is to fund falling units sold - so sell 2 guitars with a good margin, as the demand for 3 or 4 at a lower margin is a diminishing market

and from above quotes/comments - equally inflation figures from the government is pretty much a concocted peace of crap - they put in what suits them to show they are in control of the economy - When interest rates go up and your monthly mortgage goes up by £100, that leaves your spare budget with less funds - Hence less funds for leisure etc - But that £100 won't get in the inflation stats

1-2 % inflation has been kept down for many years for many reasons - cheap supply of goods from China/far east has helped this - Just look at Primark clothing prices - almost disposable - no need to buy a washing machine, that needs water and a detergent - almost cheaper to buy a new t-shirt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    when the market collapses 
    I'll grant you that but when that happens it will be symptomatic of so much more that we aren't likely to be celebrating our new low prices...
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    I'll grant you that but when that happens it will be symptomatic of so much more that we aren't likely to be celebrating our new low prices...
    agree - a bit of a flippant reply on my part I know - I have known occasional price drops, but few and far between
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    Whitecat said:
    agree - a bit of a flippant reply on my part I know - I have known occasional price drops, but few and far between
    Sometimes they tweak the model range.  The new American Original Fenders are marginally cheaper than the old AVRIs they replaced.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    Whitecat said:
    They certainly didn't back in 2008 when the pound/dollar rate was at 1.95. That's why a large number of us turned to the U.S for buying. You couldn't go wrong and shipping was much cheaper back then too.If you didn't like the guitar it went on ebay cheap and you didn't lose a bean. Happy days. 
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Whitecat said:
    They certainly didn't back in 2008 when the pound/dollar rate was at 1.95. That's why a large number of us turned to the U.S for buying. You couldn't go wrong and shipping was much cheaper back then too.If you didn't like the guitar it went on ebay cheap and you didn't lose a bean. Happy days. 
    as an overview you are right - But I recall in that period a new PRS Custom 22/24 with bird inlays was £1999 - What PRS offered for a few years was a free 10 top worth £400 - so in effect they didn't reduce the price, as such, but offered a free upgrade to maintain the price

Of course always exceptions - but as a big overview then it is not the norm
  • Just been into PMT in Cardiff and none of the electric guitars are priced, they're all labelled "enquire for best price" and "price will be fixed at the till".

Puts me right off tbh :/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Just been into PMT in Cardiff and none of the electric guitars are priced, they're all labelled "enquire for best price" and "price will be fixed at the till".

Puts me right off tbh :/

I *hate* this approach. At least put the (illegal) MAP on the tag. What if a beginner comes in and starts looking at £3k guitars when all they need is a Squier to get going?
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2387
    Just been into PMT in Cardiff and none of the electric guitars are priced, they're all labelled "enquire for best price" and "price will be fixed at the till".

Puts me right off tbh

I'm pretty sure that under the Price Marking laws that this is an illegal practice.
    Strat54 said:

Puts me right off tbh

I'm pretty sure that under the Price Marking laws that this is an illegal practice.
    You're right, it's (partly) an EU directive of all things... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/102/article/4/made
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Strat54 said:

Puts me right off tbh

You're right, it's (partly) an EU directive of all things... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/102/article/4/made
    I wonder what, if any, the legal criteria is for the size of the price ticket

• Whitecat said:
    Strat54 said:

Puts me right off tbh

I wonder what, if any, the legal criteria is for the size of the price ticket

There weren’t any, I looked ‘cos I was interested in a Strat. 

Seems to be a new strategy as there were prices last time I visited.