Jeff Beck fans ...

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16635
    impmann said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed that. Time hopping doesn’t bother me - and I thought the underlying narrative worked well.

Some of JB’s playing is INSANE, and I can’t work out exactly what he’s doing. His phrasing and attack is like nobody else and his stuff was light years ahead of his contemporaries (Jimi excepted perhaps - I’d put them on a par).

It was great to see Jimmy Page looking so well, happy and ‘together’  - now he’s in that place, it’s high time someone sat down with him to talk about these historical things as his memory is still pin sharp. I loved the fact that he talked about *the* Fender Electric 12 that he used on Bolero, and the inference being that it’s the one he played Stairway on (no it wasn’t the ‘TV aerial ‘ Gibson).

If I was being greedy, I’d loved to have seen Jeff’s guitar collection - apparently he’s kept a *lot* of his old stuff. 

As as for the burst with the black plate - yes, it’s a late 50s one and the plate was made for him specially after he broke the original (iirc) - and he wanted it to look ‘different’. I don’t know what became of it though.
    on the Les Paul Tribute night DVD with Imelda May etc, there is an additional DVD with an interview and a bit of a tour of his collection - Great bit on there when he picks up a Maccaferri style Django box - He plays Django style licks for about 30 secs , very well, then dismisses himself as not worthy and puts it down 

Thanks for info on the LP - never seen him with it before
    I might be wrong but I think all the documentary showed of the LP night was a still of Imelda May and no mention of his rockabilly album either. They aren’t pivotal to the Beck story but they might have had a mention. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15354
    tFB Trader

I might be wrong but I think all the documentary showed of the LP night was a still of Imelda May and no mention of his rockabilly album either. They aren’t pivotal to the Beck story but they might have had a mention. 
    No, quite early on in the documentary, with the Yardbirds - think it came on twice in the night - both early on in the night

But I know which LP you mean with the Les Paul tribute night with Imelda etc

He is big buddies with Darrel Higham - Big Town Play Boys toured with him and did the tribute to C Gallup album with him - mutual interest in rockabilly

Just found out a few years ago he chipped the tip of a finger of, making tea/dinner 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    fandango said:
    Thoroughly enjoyed that - so humble as well isn't he

Knew him and Jimmy + EC all grew up in a similar area - Plus connection between Jimmy and JB via Yardbirds, but never knew they had met at such a young age
    There was mention and a photo of the old Granada cinema in Sutton, where Jeff went to see a film of something (sorry cant recall what he saw).

Sutton is an old stomping ground, and I went there a couple of times before it was demolished in the mid 1970’s. Epsom was another well visited town near where i grew up. Its also where Jimmy Page lived, and where Jeff and Jimmy first met when Jefff went round to his house
    As a Sutton boy myself (not proud of it, just is what it is ) when I first started reading guitar mags in the late 80s I remember reading an interview with Jeff before I knew who he was where he said he’d played his first ever gig in Carshalton Park, which was a bit of a moment as it was literally a mile from the WHSmiths in Sutton High St where I was reading about it !
    Then I found out he was a Wallington lad and that was it. Local Hero forever after !
    Also quite gratifying to see the latest iteration of his white Strat featuring a reverse Headstock, like mine 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10061
    telehack said:

...and he did an version of "People Get Ready" that put shivers up my spine.
    Is that the version with Joss Stone singing? Stunning performance.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    telehack said:

...and he did an version of "People Get Ready" that put shivers up my spine.
    Is that the version with Joss Stone singing? Stunning performance.
    on the Ronnie Scotts DVD/CD it is with Joss - his first version is with Rod Stewart
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I for one would pay *good* money to see Rod sing with Jeff’s band - especially if they promise not to play any of Rod’s ballads.
    THAT could be incredible 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    AlexC said:
    Apparently, Pink Floyd were considering Beck as a replacement guitarist for Syd Barrett but never had the guts to ask him. Perhaps this is the path they would’ve taken...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YRWRRBX3TB0
    I love that track. Not a fan of JB but Roger Waters has this knack of getting the absolute best out of any guitarist. Take Clapton's work on pros and cons - probably the last decent playing he did. 

I wanted to like JB but just can't get into it. Its too bitey and all that prebending starts to piss me off pretty quickly 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2509
    impmann said:
    I thoroughly enjoyed that. Time hopping doesn’t bother me - and I thought the underlying narrative worked well.

Some of JB’s playing is INSANE, and I can’t work out exactly what he’s doing. His phrasing and attack is like nobody else and his stuff was light years ahead of his contemporaries (Jimi excepted perhaps - I’d put them on a par).

It was great to see Jimmy Page looking so well, happy and ‘together’  - now he’s in that place, it’s high time someone sat down with him to talk about these historical things as his memory is still pin sharp. I loved the fact that he talked about *the* Fender Electric 12 that he used on Bolero, and the inference being that it’s the one he played Stairway on (no it wasn’t the ‘TV aerial ‘ Gibson).

If I was being greedy, I’d loved to have seen Jeff’s guitar collection - apparently he’s kept a *lot* of his old stuff. 

As as for the burst with the black plate - yes, it’s a late 50s one and the plate was made for him specially after he broke the original (iirc) - and he wanted it to look ‘different’. I don’t know what became of it though.
    on the Les Paul Tribute night DVD with Imelda May etc, there is an additional DVD with an interview and a bit of a tour of his collection - Great bit on there when he picks up a Maccaferri style Django box - He plays Django style licks for about 30 secs , very well, then dismisses himself as not worthy and puts it down 

Thanks for info on the LP - never seen him with it before
    Some of his collection here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_lAy1sGMys
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2509
    impmann said:
    I for one would pay *good* money to see Rod sing with Jeff’s band - especially if they promise not to play any of Rod’s ballads.
    THAT could be incredible 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4ut7EI4wc
    tFB Trader
    He now has 8 Grammy awards yet not a mention on the documentary of this. Apart from Santana has any other guitar player got anything like this.

blow by Blow and Wired were 2 of the most successful instrumental albums on the Billboard charts, yet again no mention of this. I'm guessing JB requested this as he appears to be humble about such matters
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7397
    what was with all these young girls spouting off what his philosophies were/are??

Also - spotted  - the Supro amp whilst noodling by the fire and his gigantuan ganglion on his wrist...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Not so keen on stuff like Big Block - but he’s undeniably a true original.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3127
    As an avid Page fanboi it's great to hear the story of their friendship from the other side. He's the only one of those guys who's carried on developing all the way through. 

As I said earlier Jeff is far and away the best guitarist I've seen in person. All that fake slide and harmonica stuff from about 10 feet away was like watching a magician... jaw on the floor stuff. Angel (footsteps) features some incredible slide work right up by the pickups for the main theme. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RabsRabs Frets: 2648
    edited April 2018 tFB Trader
    As an avid Page fanboi it's great to hear the story of their friendship from the other side. He's the only one of those guys who's carried on developing all the way through. 

As I said earlier Jeff is far and away the best guitarist I've seen in person. All that fake slide and harmonica stuff from about 10 feet away was like watching a magician... jaw on the floor stuff. Angel (footsteps) features some incredible slide work right up by the pickups for the main theme. 

Yeah totally.. I always enjoy watching him.. as you say its like some kind of voodoo going on..  I thinkLive at Ronnie Scotts is one of my favourite live performances ive ever seen live or recorded.. It totally mesmerises me very time I watch it, its like a master class in playing.. And the rest of the band are just as good.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8617
    I thought it was great, just like the man himself, the documentary was all about the music. No derailment of drug addiction, womanising, etc - whereas I came away from Life In 12 Bars thinking, nice but the man is more interesting than his music. This is completly the other way around. Stunning guitar player and musician. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    He now has 8 Grammy awards yet not a mention on the documentary of this. Apart from Santana has any other guitar player got anything like this.

blow by Blow and Wired were 2 of the most successful instrumental albums on the Billboard charts, yet again no mention of this. I'm guessing JB requested this as he appears to be humble about such matters
    Ha! After watching the docu, I just had to get this playing when I was in the car yesterday. Blow by Blow is over 40 years old, hasn't aged a bit, and still sounds great.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Steve Vai is definitely letting his Jeff Beck influence shine through more these days, which is great to see.  
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Don’t know how many of you are aware of this... I’m a huge Kate Bush fan. I’m a huge Jeff Beck fan. Presto! Beck with Kate. He let’s rip at the end -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=upQFn7sPfF4
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11658
    I think the "less is more" approach has worked in terms of Beck and interviews - I've seen very few over the years so there were a lot of blanks to be filled in.

I think it was a little too weighted towards his more recent stuff, BB&A needed more coverage as did his Crazy Legs album. But that's just my opinion.

I prefer his older stuff but I respect his "I've done that, now I'm going to do something else" hugely. Especially when he dpoes it so well.

What we need now is a similar documentary from the point of view of a guitar player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8617
    Steve Vai is definitely letting his Jeff Beck influence shine through more these days, which is great to see.  
    As is Guthrie Govan, Scott Henderson, Michael Landau - you can hear Beck in all of them more and more as the years pass