Jeff Beck fans ...

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Thought it was great, music was ace, if a tad superficial on the man himself.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Steve Vai is definitely letting his Jeff Beck influence shine through more these days, which is great to see.  
    Interesting you say that - yesterday I got a new Steve Vai album (new to me, it's form 1990) that was ranked number 1 on an aggregating site and I actually switched to Jeff Beck half way through cause I just wasn't feeling it
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    edited April 2018
    There was a short clip of this in the programme, it's just magnificent. And, considering it's live in a telly studio almost fifty years ago, the sound is superb.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    57Deluxe said:
    what was with all these young girls spouting off what his philosophies were/are??

Also - spotted  - the Supro amp whilst noodling by the fire and his gigantuan ganglion on his wrist...
    Have you heard Loud Hailer?

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Interesting to see the love-in between Beck and Page.  It was not ever thus, and I can remember them being fairly snide about one another in interviews in the 70s.  Can't recall a huge amount of detail but I do remember Beck saying in one interview words to the effect "I quite like what Jimmy's doing on acoustic these days but his electric playing is shit".

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073
    Interesting to see the love-in between Beck and Page.  It was not ever thus, and I can remember them being fairly snide about one another in interviews in the 70s.  Can't recall a huge amount of detail but I do remember Beck saying in one interview words to the effect "I quite like what Jimmy's doing on acoustic these days but his electric playing is shit".

They apparently fell out over Jimmy's inclusion of "You Shook Me" on LZ1 after Jeff had played Jimmy his version from Truth. 

Led Boots is obviously a reference and also Zep would often intro Heartbreaker with a section of Beck's Rice Pudding during 1970 live shows. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Highlight was definitely the “I May as well fuck off home then.” quip when introducing Clapton at Ronnie Scott’s 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Rosie Bones is Bill Oddies daughter
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Given the preponderance of footage from the Ronnie Scotts gig I was surprised no attention whatsoever got paid to the deservedly Grammy-winning performance of "A Day In The Life" from that gig.
    And there was much interviewing of Jennifer Batten but no performance footage from their gigs together...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    Dl’d it, will watch tonight, I only have a couple of his solo records and yardbirds stuff but his playing is outrageous. Any guitar geekery in it?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    I got in from a meal out with friends last night, more than a bit pissed, and promptly fell asleep watching Match of the Day.  When I woke up I did a bit of channel surfing and this had just started.  It was interesting enough that I didn't fall asleep again - it probably helped avoid a hangover - but I did think it rather skimmed the surface of his career, especially more recent stuff.

Nice that they were able to interview plenty of Beck collaborators, including some big names like Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Clapton and Page.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706

The person he makes me think of most is Miles Davis - it's not so much the notes he's playing, but the wonderful sound he makes. 
    Beck does say in the film that hearing Miles Davis was a key moment for him.

The thing I like about Jeff Beck is that every song sounds different. He’s not doing what so many guitarists do, and reproduce the same licks over everything.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    prowla said:
    57Deluxe said:
    what was with all these young girls spouting off what his philosophies were/are??

Also - spotted  - the Supro amp whilst noodling by the fire and his gigantuan ganglion on his wrist...

HAVE YOU HEARD OF LOUD HAILER??

FTFY

Yes, but they still silly young girls and would have no idea what he has been thinking prior to the mid 90s mainly as they were unborn...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Silly young girls? You mean the likes of Tal Wilkenfeld and Carmen Vandenburg? The exact kind of highly skilled new talents that Beck makes such a point of supporting and from which he takes such energy and inspiration? Did they claim to know what he was thinking before they were born, or were they merely expressing how relevant and challenging he is to them today... which was the point of about half the programme? You plonker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    57Deluxe said:
    prowla said:
    57Deluxe said:

HAVE YOU HEARD OF LOUD HAILER??

FTFY

Yes, but they still silly young girls and would have no idea what he has been thinking prior to the mid 90s mainly as they were unborn...
    Rather silly young girls than grumpy old man, something Beck has avoided remarkably well, how about you? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9628
    edited April 2018
    scrumhalf said:
    There was a short clip of this in the programme, it's just magnificent. And, considering it's live in a telly studio almost fifty years ago, the sound is superb.

Wow, I’ve just made a fantastic discovery lads. That Strat was later used by Johnny Marr in The The’s Beaten Generation - but with a different neck?

http://youtu.be/aa8H-F4dDUA
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    scrumhalf said:

Wow, I’ve just made a fantastic discovery lads. That Strat was later used by Johnny Marr in The The’s Beaten Generation - but with a different neck?

http://youtu.be/aa8H-F4dDUA
    I’m sure I’ve seen a picture of Beck playing that with a 60s Rosewood board neck on it - so it may well be the same guitar.

If it is, I wonder how Johnny Marr came to own it?
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2018
    57Deluxe said:

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open." - Frank Zappa
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9628
    After a bit of googling, turns out it’s a ‘69 that he bought off Jeff himself. 

I am such a guitar geek - I remember that distinctive broken pickguard from The The’s video. Never seen him play it anywhere else.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073
    Top spotting! It's got some pedigree that Strat.. Didn't Johnny have Pete Townshend's 60 burst that he lent/gave to Noel G? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"