Jeff Beck fans ...

What's Hot

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    I'm in two minds about Beck. Half the time his solos sound like unstructured noodling but he has a great way with playing melodies. 

However

The harmonica bits on that ZZTop vid blew me away. So last night. I sat for an hour with my music man and wangled the trem. Outcome: got 30% of the way there, said "Fk me but how does he do that !?" and went to bed.

anyone keen to try and tab out what's happening after 3:25? 

@octatonic ;

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    I like him and find him musically inspirational - just saying ... saw him jamming with Bernard Purdie in a pub in Nunhead back in the early 70s and to be that close to the man was mesmerising ...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1594
    I was lucky enough to see him at the Indigo2 in 2009 with Imelda May, sort of pre-cursor to the Rock and roll Party thing.  They played 50's and 60's rock, Apache, Walking in the Sand, Train kept a Rollin', Rock around the Clock, Green Onions, all sorts of stuff.  Bit of white strat activity but also Tele, Les Paul, a Gretsch.  Fantastic playing and he was clearly having a great time.  He said that Page and Wood were there but wouldn't play " 'cos they're chicken"!  I'd seen him previously in his funk, fusion kind of mode with all the strat/trem cleverness and much preferred the stripped down rock style he played with Imelda and her band.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    57Deluxe said:
    Jeff Beck's playing and phrasing is just like Van Morrison's singing - irksome, nasal and tuneless...

Wow.

I wish I was as bad a guitarist as Jeff Beck.

10% as bad would do me, to be honest...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Just saw a great little tutorial for anyone into Jeff Beck whammy technique.

https://www.facebook.com/marbinmusic/posts/1662718513823616
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    I'm going to be definitely buying and listening to his albums, I am blown away.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Finally saw this on iPlayer. Fantastic documentary, absolutely loved it. He is so his own man, with all those 'crazy' decisions that he made along the way. To be honest it has reignited my interest in him again, not played any CDs for a while, and I need to get digital versions of my old LPs that I haven't played for 20 years or so.

Anyone who criticises Jeff, the playing is clearly going right over their head.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    edited May 2018
    axisus said:
    Anyone who criticises Jeff, the playing is clearly going right over their head.
    Depends what you mean by criticise.  It's perfectly possible to acknowledge his genius but simply not enjoy listening to some, or a lot, of what he does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    https://youtu.be/lM9IFk73tac?list=LLa8nQReq-Jh_u5kmZf50Tsg

Just love over this version of Nadia the work with the trem is sublime
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    https://youtu.be/lM9IFk73tac?list=LLa8nQReq-Jh_u5kmZf50Tsg

Just love over this version of Nadia the work with the trem is sublime
    From 3:10 on its not just the trem vibrato bar - he is also working this in tandem with the volume. Beck takes this to a level no other guitarist even thinks of going.

Love the tone - the way those high notes are so smooth and dont sound piercingly high. Seems like he’s got amp and pedal settings sussed with the right amount of treble, mid and bass, and goidness kniws what else to help him create some sublime sounds. But who am I, but a mere mortal who bumbles and futches my way through another poor unrecognisable rendition of the Stairway solo?

Heaven help the rest of us. Maybe Tommy Emmanuel has a chance.
    Yeah working the bar was an over simplification of it there is so many  subtleties even how he moves up and down the bar to control movement range as you say volume and phrasing it’s pretty comprehensive mastery
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3073

Some great insight into the fake slide side of his playing in this. Very workman like but making the most glorious sounds.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Until all this I had sort of lost track of beck over the last few years.

someone said he is using stacked humbucker which ones?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    Until all this I had sort of lost track of beck over the last few years.

someone said he is using stacked humbucker which ones?
    The pick-ups in his main Strat were very high output single coils wound by John Suhr when he was at the Fender Custom Shop I believe. They’re deeper than normal Strat pick-ups and required deeper routes than in a ‘normal’ Strat IIRC. They’ve never been available commercially.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’m more of a modern Beck fan but I’ve been listening to Truth after seeing that documentary - just remarkable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I'm not a big fan but having read this thread & checked him out playing 'live at the hollywood bowl' one can see what the fuss is about. At 70 odd he sounds great.
    And a great vid of littlewing played beautifully in 2011

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Re the album Truth - Beck was quite pissed off when his mate Jimmy (Page) essentially lifted the style for his new band Led Zeppelin... also managed by Peter Grant. Listen to the Jeff Beck Group version of You Shook Me and then listen to Zep’s.... 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22859
    AlexC said:
    Re the album Truth - Beck was quite pissed off when his mate Jimmy (Page) essentially lifted the style for his new band Led Zeppelin... also managed by Peter Grant. Listen to the Jeff Beck Group version of You Shook Me and then listen to Zep’s.... 
    I love Truth and Beck-Ola, but they sound very rooted in the '60s with the keyboards and weedy drum sounds.  Zeppelin took it to another level, more modern and so much more powerful.  A lot of it down to Bonham, I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    I wished they'd played some of the examples from the studio version, because on a few old tracks, the live version with video wasn't as good, and might not illustrate how good those tracks were to people not familiar with Beck