Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It's scone not 'scon' alright!

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_Fab said:
    Well this is a silly thread.  I'm going to get the dog his bonn then play with my amp to see if I can get a nicer tonn out of it. I might get an ice-cream conn from the freezer to eat whilst I'm honning the edges of my kitchen knives.
    You’re a morone.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well this is a silly thread.  I'm going to get the dog his bonn then play with my amp to see if I can get a nicer tonn out of it. I might get an ice-cream conn from the freezer to eat whilst I'm honning the edges of my kitchen knives.
    You’re a morone.
    Yes - begone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28393
    Someone phonn me when this noansense is over. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, I'm really glad @ICBM resuscitated this thread.
    Sorry :). I saw that map and I had to ;).

If nothing else it shows that the Scoaners are a deviant minority, as I always guessed...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Emp_Fab said:
    You’re a morone.
    Yes - begone!
    Sporky said:
    Someone phonn me when this noansense is over. 
    Why - have you absconded?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    No... he’s absconeded.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    edited September 2018

I'm from Lancashire. It's scon. The locals here (Sheffield) call it scone. However, these weirdos also pronounce "master" and "plaster" both as "marster" and "plarster". Which is odd for northerners.

Whilst we're discussing this nonsense - its not breadcake, it's a bap. Preferably oven bottomed. With a pie in the middle of it.

Sunday 2:30am, 1986, just fallen out of Peppermint Place. Hake Boat chippy, Darwen St, Blackburn - can I have chips and curry sauce, and a meat and potato pie in a bap please. That'll do thee reet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Not "scun"?
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    Wait. 

Cream then jam?

Or 

Jam then cream and being wrong?
    Depends whether you're in Cornwall or not. 

The rest of the country finds it hard to get upset about how someone else arranges their scone toppings.

This is why it's a jolly good idea to go to Cornwall on holiday, but an even better one to stop once you get to Devon.
    For me it's all about viscosity - cream is easier to spread on jam, than than jam is to spread on cream (especially with a correctly massive dollop of cream). Any other argument is as silly as cornish being a real language ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    For all the Cornish bluster about making it wrong, by far the bigger issue is that a lot of places make cream teas with scones with raisins in.  A proper cream tea must have a plain scone (with a large portion of clotted cream, topped with a little bit of jam).
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

You have to pronounce it scon, otherwise you wouldn't be able to do that childish joke where you say,

"What's the fastest cake in the world?"

Then you turn your head quickly to one side and shout "SCON"....end of.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28393
    crunchman said:
    For all the Cornish bluster about making it wrong, by far the bigger issue is that a lot of places make cream teas with scones with raisins in.  A proper cream tea must have a plain scone (with a large portion of clotted cream, topped with a little bit of jam).
    That doesn't sound like enough jam.

My only concern regarding raisins is that Lady BMcH doesn't like them, so we need to have our cream teas somewhere that offers plain scones, at least as an option. This has not, so far, caused my life significant issues.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    Myranda said:

For me it's all about viscosity - cream is easier to spread on jam, than than jam is to spread on cream (especially with a correctly massive dollop of cream). Any other argument is as silly as cornish being a real language ;-)
    Your clotted cream is clearly not thick enough ;)
  • Emp_Fab said:
    You’re a morone.
    Indeed. It's timbre not tonn
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Speaking of which, Gringopig, I can't remember in which book it was, 'Thud!' I think, but Terry Pratchett's dwarves had an important relic called the Scone of Stone. I miss Pratchett.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited February 2019
    .... and now “they” say scones are fattening.....

Unless they mean ‘scons’. Yes that’s it, scons are the food of the obese!

Scones with currants on the other hand are good for you. That’s one of your five-a-day right there. It gets even better if you add some strawberry jam, because you’re up to two of your five-a-day, and the world just eases by.....

• fandango said:
    .... and now “they” say scones are fattening.....

Unless they mean ‘scons’. Yes that’s it, scons are the food of the obese!

Scones with currants on the other hand are good for you. That’s one of your five-a-day right there. It gets even better if you add some strawberry jam, because you’re up to two of your five-a-day, and the world just eases by.....

ah!  but what if you put cheese on it.

• If you say scone here you get slagged for being posh.  
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Mmmmmmmmmm.........I like scones :)