Oh Dear - A very sad story

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14370
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

It is never going to be original again (depends who is selling it !!!!!!!!!!!) but could consider another change to the fingerboard back to rosewood to put some credibility back into it
    Alvin Lee Big Red tribute conversion?

:)
    always been a bit of a TYA fan and that went through my mind the 2nd I hear about it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    Gagaryn said:
    Whatever you do, please make sure that nobody has inadvertently damaged the serial number while removing a sticker... 
    Bugger.. I just spat out my tea! Lol!!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    equalsql said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Whatever you do, please make sure that nobody has inadvertently damaged the serial number while removing a sticker... 
    This - quite rightly - is set to become the new forum ‘in joke’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Didn’t John Birch try and make a replica Red Special for Brian May once? Which May then threw to the back of the stage during a gig (it was playing up), missing Roger Taylor’s head by inches. So the story goes.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sounds like John Birch was the original Cleartone Convertions.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Guitars are tools at the end of the day.  They did the mods because that's what they wanted at the time.
    totally agree and had very little value around the period many such mods were been carried out

I'm picking up an early 60's ES345 in a few days time, that @SteveRobinson has been renovating  for me - The previous owner, probably with a compass, scratched his name on the rear of the headstock
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    equalsql said:
    Gagaryn said:
    This - quite rightly - is set to become the new forum ‘in joke’

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited May 2018
    I had a 62 Strat that JB had refinished the neck on which included lacquering the rw fingerboard. I had it stripped off straight away. 

I remember during the late 70s his guitars being quite sort after and i knew a number of players that used then rather than a Gibson or Fender. Musical Exchanges in Birmingham on Broad St always had loads. I did try one briefly myself but it was just so heavy it was impossible to gig with. I remember swapping it for a Tokai strat as i wanted a strat but all the Fenders i tried were rubbish.

I think John Diggins form JayDee worked for John Birch before setting up on his own and he made some cracking guitars including an SG for Angus Young and a Gretsch type for Malcolm.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:
    I had a 62 Strat that JB had refinished the neck on which included lacquering the rw fingerboard. I had it stripped off straight away. 

I remember during the late 70s his guitars being quite sort after and i new a number of players that used then rather than a Gibson or Fender. Musical Exchanges in Birmingham on Broad St always had loads. I did try one briefly myself but it was just so heavy it was impossible to gig with. I remember swapping it for a Tokai strat as i wanted a strat but all the Fenders i trief were rubbish.

I think John Diggins form JayDee worked for John Birch before setting up on his own and he made some cracking guitars including an SG for Angus Young and a Gretsch type for Malcolm.
    yes John Diggins worked for JB in his early days - JayDee is still going and I believe his lad(s) work with him now
    tFB Trader
    Further update - I've just had contact with someone who has actually seen this instrument today, or in the last day or so, along with my comments on FB - It sounds worse than my initial reporting - his comments below

Yeah I've seen it (oh my eyes) and played it. Along with the 6 volume tone knobs its got 3 red micro switches ( but massive ones). It's got metal caps covering where the tail piece studs were. Three pickups that looked forced into the body. Lots of extra scratch plates everywhere and one bent tuner.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7842
    Further update - I've just had contact with someone who has actually seen this instrument today, or in the last day or so, along with my comments on FB - It sounds worse than my initial reporting - his comments below

Yeah I've seen it (oh my eyes) and played it. Along with the 6 volume tone knobs its got 3 red micro switches ( but massive ones). It's got metal caps covering where the tail piece studs were. Three pickups that looked forced into the body. Lots of extra scratch plates everywhere and one bent tuner.

That sounds like something that @HarrySeven would love to own.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30947

Bit harsh

i always liked Dave Hill

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

micro switches ( but massive ones)

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16780
    Gassage said:

Bit harsh

i always liked Dave Hill
    You know, when I got my JB I was told it used to belong to Dave Hill.  I don’t think that affects the value in any way ;)
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Gassage said:

Bit harsh

i always liked Dave Hill
    You know, when I got my JB I was told it used to belong to Dave Hill.  I don’t think that affects the value in any way ;)
    I heard Noddy or Dave took his old SG in to JB for some work to be carried out on it, back in the early 70's - When he got it back he could not believe it - Lok wot you dun, he said
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Gassage said:

Bit harsh

i always liked Dave Hill
    He was in that jam place in the Jewellery quarter the other night. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Collings said:

I remember during the late 70s his guitars being quite sort after and i new a number of players that used then rather than a Gibson or Fender. Musical Exchanges in Birmingham on Broad St always had loads. I did try one briefly myself but it was just so heavy it was impossible to gig with. I remember swapping it for a Tokai strat as i wanted a strat but all the Fenders i trief were rubbish.

yes John Diggins worked for JB in his early days - JayDee is still going and I believe his lad(s) work with him now
    Yes they do, fine luthiers all 3, although John himself only does a few days a week there now.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    WezV said:
    Gassage said:

Bit harsh

i always liked Dave Hill
    I heard Noddy or Dave took his old SG in to JB for some work to be carried out on it, back in the early 70's - When he got it back he could not believe it - Lok wot you dun, he said
    It wasn’t his guitar, it belonged to his parents 

mamma weer all crazy ...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6165
    edited May 2018
    Another thumbs up for Dave Hill, lovely fella.

Back in the 70's John Birch pickups and guitars were considered very highly amongst us young players. The rhythm guitarist in my band back then had some Birch pups fitted into his flying V and they were monster!

I'm surprised that there isn't some financial value to the John Birch 'mojo' nowadays..
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16780
    equalsql said:

I'm suprised that there isn't some financial value to the John Birch 'mojo' nowadays..
    there is.