Sasquatch and on ... Huddersfield Jam #2

What's Hot

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5371
    If @Legionreturns wants to give his lungs the full workout I'm sure we could blag it either way, even in a stripped back format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My YBTB mate James is also keen to play stuff, both during the day and at the gig 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11755
    I'm quite keen to gig stuff, would love to do champagne supernova in the evening
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    LuttiS said:
    McToot said:
    One thing I have done is restrung my 80s-tastic Jackson, which I think is a must for Danger Zone. But I've never re-strung a Floydy geetar before (I've not had this long) and I fear I may have guffed it up - maybe the strong gauge was heavier than I thought. Basically the Floyd has tipped up so it's sloping high to low towards the bridge pick up.   What have I done wrong? Or do I need to tighten or loosen the springs...
    Loosen the springs as they pulling it down too much

If you're having trouble bring it up tomorrow and i'm sure there are plenty of us who can help sort it out.. Floyds are well annoying
    I can tell you how to do it now...

1 - Undo the locking nut.
    2 - Slacken the springs until the bridge is tipping up above the body, like a ski ramp with the high end towards the back of the guitar. 
    3 - Point the tremolo arm towards the back of the guitar and press down on it, giving you upwards tremolo movement. Do this while being able to see into the tremolo cavity at the back.
    4 - With the tremolo being held so it sits perfectly level with the body of the guitar, measure the gap between the back of the block and the front face of tremolo cavity rear wall. It should be around the 20mm mark.
    5 - Get a stack of copper coins the same size as the gap you have at the back of your block and use masking tape to wrap them together around their edges, so they look like a roll of coins from the bank.
    6 - Try your coins block behind your tremolo block and see how level the base plate of the tremolo is sitting in relation to the top of the guitar. If it's still stilted upwards, the block isn't quite thick enough so remove the coins from the guitar and add more. If it's tilted backwards into the routed cavity on the top of the guitar, you've used too many coins and you need to remove one or two. Fine tune this using pieces of card, plastic or whatever but aim to get the base plate of the tremolo sitting level with the top of the guitar. String tension alone will hold it there and you can use the tremolo arm to go up, insert the coins and then trap them there by letting gently down on the tremolo arm.
    7 - Now tune the guitar as per normal with the tremolo blocked up. Make sure the fine tuners are halfway through their travel so you'll still have up and down movement with them when you're locked down.
    8 - Once tuned and stretched in, lock the nut.
    9 - Now remove the coins block by going up on the tremolo arm to release it, pull the coins out from behind the block and gently let the tremolo down until you reach the SPRING tension and assess where the base plate is sitting. As you slackened the springs earlier this is going to be upwards towards the back of the guitar.
    10 - Tighten SPRINGS until high E is in tune.

**All 6 strings will now be almost perfectly in tune and you'll only need to use fine tuners to level them out.**

Because you locked the nut down when you had the tremolo blocked, the system stays locked and keeps the tuning/tension, so all you have to do is replicate where the coins held the base plate with spring tension and the system returns to where you left it locked.

If you block the front of the tremolo block in exactly the same way, you can use that for string changes and it'll be like changing the strings on a hardtail guitar, just take them all off, put new ones on and then tune up as normal. Lock the nut down and then take the block out from in front of the tremolo block. It'll all be exactly the same if you use the same gauge strings and you just need to fine tune it. If it's out of tune, adjust the springs until the High E is back in tune and because the other 5 were before you locked the nut, so now they all will still be in tune when the high E is back in tune. You're just replicating what the coins did, with the SPRING tension again.

FR systems are easy as hell if you make blocks for the front and rear of the tremolo sustain block.

Block the rear for working on springs while maintaining STRING tension.
    Block the front for working on Strings while maintaining SPRING tension.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Watch THIS...

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    What time are people arriving etc?
    Cafe at 10am and go from there.
  • shuikit said:
    Anyone arriving before 12 will be put to work...

But...

Alnico said:
    Merrie England is just up the road and does legendary breakfast scran! 

Sometime between 10:30 and 12:00, traffic dependent. Happy to be put to work.
    I can't leave too early because of the kids but would expect to get there around 12, traffic permitting...
    shuikit said:
    Anyone arriving before 12 will be put to work...

But...

Alnico said:
    Merrie England is just up the road and does legendary breakfast scran! 
    Nice one, we'll be in there until anyone needs us.
  • @Alnico I may well join you 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Me & @pmbomb were chatting about a few songs to possibly gig if we can find some willing participants.
    I couldn't get any new strings today.
     @Legionreturns is there a guitar shop nearby?

I need 10 - 52.
    Anything but Ernie Ball. 
    If anyone has some or can grab me a set I can give you the money when we get there?

• Alnico said:
    I couldn't get any new strings today.
     @Legionreturns is there a guitar shop nearby?

I need 10 - 52.
    Anything but Ernie Ball. 
    If anyone has some or can grab me a set I can give you the money when we get there?

Yes mate. Keith Dawson Music is on the same road, about a mile down the hill, just past the Coop 

I've got 10/46 and 12/54 in though if either of them would do in a pinch

• Keith Dawson Music
    39B Westbourne Rd, Huddersfield HD1 4LQ
    01484 321388

@alnico I'll be bringing some spare d'Addarios with me - nickel wound and pro-steels, but they'll all be 10-46
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Mmm, Magic Rock beer. 

https://flic.kr/p/2721Wsj
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Legionreturns ; what is the crack with gig gear?  Presumably there will be various guitars brought, and depending on whether we do the evening acoustic bit, I might have two...?

Also, can your magic minibus pick me up from the Cambridge?  I will need a shower before hitting the club.
  • Quick question, do I need to bring my Blues Cube amp for the jam rooms at the studio, or will there be plenty of spare amps to plug into? 
This discussion has been closed.