Whats New Pussycat - Feline Guitars Updates thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Did you plug in ? 
    Did you get a chance to have an opinion on the pickups?
    To be fair it's impossible  to get a proper appraisal with a lot of noise going on.
    I didn't. I asked to try it through the KSR Orthos which was fine but the 30 minutes peace break was on (which was actually a good idea for the weekend). So I played it unplugged and frankly it played me. Typically I like my action a lot higher but it was so nice, effortless and just such a well put together bit of kit.

However I heard other people playing it through various amps and the constant for me on the pickups was how articulate they were, really aggressive when you dig in but just very clear if that makes much sense? Even with the tons and tons of gain going on in that corner it was still there. The really good thing with that corner for the weekend was that I could play the amps at me/against a wall and away from the other stands, but yeah in general it can be a fucking nightmare to hear what is actually going on at those things.

The GAS strikes so very much. I actually dreamt about a Tele Trussart, a Nik Huber Orca, a Jaden Rose and of course a Blackmachine. I'm far from any sort of tech player but I found great sounds in all guitars I tried regardless of target market.

PM coming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Extended range was also a hot topic in the same vein. 

I play normally in Eb with 11s or 12s but this B6 was just so great to play I never noticed any change of formula.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Yeah - the B6 possibly had 10s on so the tension would be similar to Eb with 11s

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Sorry I should say but with higher action. I add some slide in from time to time so just get used to thicker nickel and that extra height but this felt really natural even so low and slick. 

I need one.

:-)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Those Blackmachines are excellent, I must agree. I'm not one for fixed bridges, by my God, they are so lightweight and comfortable. A real gem of a guitar. I understand your GAS @Deijavoo
    tFB Trader
    Got Wood!
    A stash of wood purchased at great cost that may be going towards our Jubilee guitars (25th Anniversary).
    This is what I spend my money on when I sell a few guitars  :)

WARNING _ you may ned to sit down if you like figured wood or look away if you don't care for it........

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited March 2015
    Holy shit batman
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6134
    tFB Trader
    WOW!!! you really need to ensure these are double stained!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    A couple of those look ok.

:-O
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sweet baby moses. OBSCENE!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    You're a bloody pusher!! I love the 'imperfection' at the top of the slab of the third one down :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Can someone tell me how wood gets this quilt effect? Is it just the grain and the way the wood has grown and then been cut?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited March 2015
    That's some pretty epic figuring right there. It even has a "1" in a circle in the third pic there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Calling @gassage
    tFB Trader
    capo4th said:
    Can someone tell me how wood gets this quilt effect? Is it just the grain and the way the wood has grown and then been cut?
    Wikipedia says:

Quilt or quilted maple refers to a type of "figure" in maple wood. It is seen on the tangential plane (flat-sawn) and looks like a wavy "quilted" pattern, often similar to ripples on water. The quilted figure is only found in the Western Big Leaf species of maple. It is a distortion of the grain pattern itself. Prized for its beauty, it is used frequently in the manufacturing of musical instruments, especially guitars. Quilted maple is an end grain figure that shows a circular pattern on flat sawn material. There are many terms that describe the shape and pattern of quilted maple. Aka watered, popcorn, tubular, sausage, bubble wrap, angle step.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795

Are the darker colours of the last couple of pieces natural, or have they been wet to highlight the figuring?

tFB Trader
    The last two are naturally darker - they all got a quick wipe with some spirits to show the grain

Just found a picture of a felled maple tree that will be quilted maple, and you can see where they have stripped the bark back that it has grown funny underneath.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    ^^
    That's very interesting Jon, I never realised you could see the quilting on the outside edge of the bark stripped tree.

Not quite as hit and miss as I thought.
    edited March 2015 tFB Trader
    A couple of the curent builds took a move forward over the last week

Enjoying the Derrig  inspired "Appetite"

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice man.....as always!