WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Ok lads, just try not to mention the var.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    Brazil not through yet.  Serbia are probably even more obnoxious than Neymar though, so I'd find it hard to cheer for Serbia.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Cor. Courtinho’s career has somewhat turned around huh?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24586
    What the actual fuck did Neuer think he was doing out there ?  That was something out of one of those "10 most insane moments in football" clips on YouTube, featuring some crazed South American local team doing something mental or all getting attacked by bats or something.

I'm stunned.  As I imagine Neuer will probably be when they touch down in Berlin - by several policemen with Tasers.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4941
    edited June 2018

^^ I guess he thought it was shit or bust, but it certainly was bizarre.

*edit* I also think that was the last hurrah for several members of that Germany team, e.g. Neuer, Muller, Ozil, and others - they've been around the block a couple of times now, as indeed has the coach.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    To blame Neuer for Germany's defeat would be moronic. Chris Sutton's comments were well out of order and was nothing more than a gleefully taken chance to put the boot in.

A 2nd goal at 1-0 down conceded in the 96th min was not the issue. This one rests on the 10 outfield players and coach across 2 games not being able to score.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    Freely admit I'm not a football fan - but I'm currently in Germany on business, with a couple of Swedish colleagues, and we watched last night's game in a bar surrounded by pissed off Germans. To say they were tense was an understatement!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14590
    tFB Trader
    Ref Germany - some irony that there is a growing trend of the previous WC winner then going home early in the next world cup - France, Spain and Italy + now Germany, have all followed suit, for whatever reason

The surprise that Germany now join this club, is that along with Brazil, they have the finest record in the World Cup over many tournaments - They can't always win it - They can't always have a great team, but very rarely do they have  a bad team - Just not in their make up - Yet in their own domestic league, apart from B Munich, no other German club is doing well in Europe or competing with B Munich in the Bundesliga

Germany 7 v Brazil 1 is now a distant memory
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    To blame Neuer for Germany's defeat would be moronic. Chris Sutton's comments were well out of order and was nothing more than a gleefully taken chance to put the boot in.

A 2nd goal at 1-0 down conceded in the 96th min was not the issue. This one rests on the 10 outfield players and coach across 2 games not being able to score.
    loads of goalies have done this over the years.. and sometimes it works..
    like you say.. with minutes to go, the difference between 1-0 and 2-0 down is irrelevant
    but if by chance he managed to help it become 1-1 then it's worth the risk..

I see this all the time in ice hockey
    it's a slightly different thing because a draw isn't possible, but the mentality is the same..
    dying minutes, pull the goalie and try to get a draw [which means extra time: golden goal, then shoot out]

I agree that this one has nothing to do with the goalie..
    and I don't think the goalie made a bad decision at that point in the game
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    There's going to be a brutal show on TV today, which will cause a frenzy... English warriors will slaughter people from Belgium at 7pm. Get the booze ready and enjoy the show as much as you can, gentlemen. Cheers. My prediction: 3-1.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    IvanMC said:
    There's going to be a brutal show on TV today, which will cause a frenzy... English warriors will slaughter people from Belgium at 7pm. Get the booze ready and enjoy the show as much as you can, gentlemen. Cheers. My prediction: 3-1.
    YESS! 

IT'S COMING HOME
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12470
    I think sluggish 1-1 or 0-0 played out like a friendly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    I'm calling 2-2
    munckee said:
    Closer to the money I think. Do either team really want to win? Coming second in the group is an easier ride during the knock-out stage. I also think the players won't overcommit in the tackle to protect themselves from injury or a yellow card.

Could be a snoozefest.

• mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    isnt it better to keep wining and gain momentum and confidence ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    Fretwired said:
    munckee said:
    Closer to the money I think. Do either team really want to win? Coming second in the group is an easier ride during the knock-out stage. I also think the players won't overcommit in the tackle to protect themselves from injury or a yellow card.

Could be a snoozefest.

Not necessarily.

Depending on results in group H, finishing second could get us Columbia in the second round.   It's all very well worrying about Brazil in the quarters, but you have to reach the quarters first.  That won't be easy against Colombia.  If Japan fail to beat Poland, and Colombia win against Senegal, then I'd far rather finish first and get Japan or Senegal rather than second and get Colombia.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1483
    England either play to try and make a statement or they'll sit back. 

If Southgate's rhetoric holds up and isn't just lip service for the media, they'll play to win. 

I've not seen many teams that don't look beatable - Brazil didn't look world class last night and Serbia were all over them for the first part of the second half last night and should have had two or 3 goals with better finishing. 

Winning breeds winners. 

To be the man, you've got to beat the man. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

This England side is clearly one that a.) believes in Southgate and his system and b.) actually look like they give a shit, which is a refreshing change. Lets ride the wave and see how far it takes us. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    mli3 said:
    isnt it better to keep wining and gain momentum and confidence ?
    Pros and cons for both I think. 

Southgate said he doesnt intend to play it as a friendly, but tactically it makes no sense to go all out to win the battle when the war is yet to come.

But also I hope we lose because that then puts our next game on an evening I have atleast a 1% chance of finding someone to swap shifts! Lol 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    The Japanese are a disgrace ... it's football not ping pong .. ;-)