WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited June 2018
    Can't believe some of the negativity surrounding England I'm seeing here.

We made a lot of changes last night and left out our 2 standout performers so far (Kane & Hendo) in a game that we were arguably better off not winning. No injuries and the first choice players got a rest. Belgium are a good squad and, IMO,  we didn't exactly play badly against them considering.

Now we have a favourable route (which is not to be taken for granted) and it sounds like Jimmy Rodriguez is an injury doubt for Colombia.

Be positive, nothing bad has happened yet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Ben8010 said:

We made a lot of changes last night and left out our 2 standout performers so far (Kane & Hendo) in a game that we were arguably better off not winning. No injuries and the first choice players got a rest. Belgium are a good squad and we didn't exactly play badly against them.

Now we have a favourable route (which is not to be taken for granted) and it sounds like Jimmy Rodriguez is an injury doubt for Colombia.

You must be new to this World Cup lark! : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    munckee said:
    Ben8010 said:

We made a lot of changes last night and left out our 2 standout performers so far (Kane & Hendo) in a game that we were arguably better off not winning. No injuries and the first choice players got a rest. Belgium are a good squad and we didn't exactly play badly against them.

Haha this is the 5th one that I will remember and, compared to what's happened in the previous 2, I can see positives :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    Ben8010 said:

We made a lot of changes last night and left out our 2 standout performers so far (Kane & Hendo) in a game that we were arguably better off not winning. No injuries and the first choice players got a rest. Belgium are a good squad and, IMO,  we didn't exactly play badly against them considering.

There's a lot of nonsense in the media about momentum, and how it might have been lost.

What a load of balls.

Eight players who would probably be first-choice didn't play against Belgium. Their momentum comes from two previous wins, the last one by a hatful. Let's say one of the top six were playing a two-legged tie against a much lower team. They won the game before the first leg and then won the first leg 6-1.

The manager decides that the outcome is decided and he will rest his best players. They lose by the odd goal but still go through. In the great scheme of things does the defeat matter? The people playing in the next game will not, by and large, have suffered a defeat.

We now have the majority of the first-choice XI rested, which, when playing in the kind of heat they have to play in, is no bad thing. And they've been rested from full-time on Sunday afternoon until Tuesday evening. It's basically a week off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    Ben8010 said:
    munckee said:
    Ben8010 said:

Haha this is the 5th one that I will remember and, compared to what's happened in the previous 2, I can see positives :)
    This is the 9th I properly remember (can remember there being a world cup in 82 wasn't very interested though, I agree with you Ben, only really 2002 and 1990 where we looked any good, 86 and 98 okay.  If (and is a biggish if) we beat colombia we did the right thing not trying to win the game very much.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I know he's a bit inconsistent but if that wasn't a deliberate miss from Rashford, my names not Ronny.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    Ben8010 said:

Spot on mate...

We want immediate, instant success... so much a mirror of modern life.

The real opportunity, should we manage to overcome Columbia, is this;

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    ronnyb said:
    I know he's a bit inconsistent but if that wasn't a deliberate miss from Rashford, my names not Ronny.
    i have to say i also had that thought!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    just heard  a god comment about Sterling - Last night against Belgium was his best 90 mins in an England shirt 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    just heard  a god comment about Sterling - Last night against Belgium was his best 90 mins in an England shirt 
    it was based as a good comment I believe, based on you don't realise his runs and pace are valuable to the team - Even if he can't score
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    it was based as a good comment I believe, based on you don't realise his runs and pace are valuable to the team - Even if he can't score
    You arguing with yourself again, Mark? First sign of madness.

Second is hairs on the palm of your hands.

Third Sign is thinking Stirling is good in an England shirt :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

just reaised I said god comment as well and not good comment

Yet pretty certain he will be starting the next game regardless - I think with the exception of Rose, the Belgium game has shown us that we now know for sure which is our first team and who are back up and subs - Even at this stage of his career I think we'll get the best out of Loftus Cheek as an impact sub and nothing wrong with that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Yet pretty certain he will be starting the next game regardless - I think with the exception of Rose, the Belgium game has shown us that we now know for sure which is our first team and who are back up and subs - Even at this stage of his career I think we'll get the best out of Loftus Cheek as an impact sub and nothing wrong with that
    I didn’t think Rose’s marking was up to much - he was all over the shop for the Belgium goal.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465

I didn’t think Rose’s marking was up to much - he was all over the shop for the Belgium goal.

He's better than Young.  Young isn't left footed and playing him on the left means he will always cut in on his right foot.  Rose gives you a much better attacking option as he will try to go outside.  He is delivery isn't the best, but he's quick, and from memory, he won 3 free kicks in good attacking postions last night.

It's not like Young is a natural defender anyway, and Rose is quicker so he has more scope to recover from a mistake.

For me, Rose should come into the starting line up.  Apart from that, I think you stick with the 11 that started the first game, assuming that Dele Alli is fit.

crunchman said:

He's better than Young.  Young isn't left footed and playing him on the left means he will always cut in on his right foot.  Rose gives you a much better attacking option as he will try to go outside.  He is delivery isn't the best, but he's quick, and from memory, he won 3 free kicks in good attacking postions last night.

It's not like Young is a natural defender anyway, and Rose is quicker so he has more scope to recover from a mistake.

For me, Rose should come into the starting line up.  Apart from that, I think you stick with the 11 that started the first game, assuming that Dele Alli is fit.

I don’t disagree re Rose’s speed and as an attacking option - I just thought his situational awareness and marking was the sloppiest I’ve seen from this team.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465

I don’t disagree re Rose’s speed and as an attacking option - I just thought his situational awareness and marking was the sloppiest I’ve seen from this team.

It's not like Young is the second coming of Maldini as a defensive left back though.

I'm not sure that all of that goal was on Rose.  Yes, he should have done better, but he should have had assistance.  Someone else should have been closing that down.  A defender one on one in that situation is always at a disadvantage.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Rose undoubtedly made a mistake for the Belgian (or was it?) goal, but apart from that I thought he'd had a good game and as @crunchman as stated, Young is hardly Maldini. The most disappointing performance was from Dier. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727

Some more bad news related to Belgium has just come in.  

Fellaini has signed a contract extension with Man U.  I can’t wait for another season of ‘pumping it up field to the big man.’
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    Resting players in a tournament where the matches are a handful of days apart? It'll be 4 games in 16 days by the time Colombia have been played. Pitiful. Meanwhile I've just watched pro tennis players complete 4 matches in 5 days. 
    Strat54 said:
    Resting players in a tournament where the matches are a handful of days apart? It'll be 4 games in 16 days by the time Colombia have been played. Pitiful. Meanwhile I've just watched pro tennis players complete 4 matches in 5 days. 
    Yeah, but tennis is:

Whereas Football is:

No?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom