WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited July 2018

It's here...the day of days. I am tingling with nervous terrified excitement at the tantalising possibility of England reaching the final of the World Cup. We are in the semi-final...in the semi-final.

"Haven't had a dream in a long time....Please, please, please, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time..."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474

It's here...the day of days. I am tingling with nervous terrified excitement at the tantalising possibility of England reaching the final of the World Cup. We are in the semi-final...in the semi-final.

"Haven't had a dream in a long time....Please, please, please, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time..."

I had Three Lions on in the car on the way to work and was basically in tears when the opening to Three Lions '98 kicked in...."THE CROSSES OF ST GEORGE ARE FLYING ALL AROUND ME....GARETH SOUTHGATE THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND IS WITH YOU"

Fucking right we are! I always thought I wouldn't blub unless we won the whole thing, but I'll likely be in tears tonight if we make the final. After the heartbreak of '96 and '98 and then the last 20 years of shite...I genuinely thought we'd never be in this position ever again in my lifetime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    joneve said:

I had Three Lions on in the car on the way to work and was basically in tears when the opening to Three Lions '98 kicked in...."THE CROSSES OF ST GEORGE ARE FLYING ALL AROUND ME....GARETH SOUTHGATE THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND IS WITH YOU"

Fucking right we are! I always thought I wouldn't blub unless we won the whole thing, but I'll likely be in tears tonight if we make the final. After the heartbreak of '96 and '98 and then the last 20 years of shite...I genuinely thought we'd never be in this position ever again in my lifetime. 
    I thought that and my 13 year old daughter will be coming to watch it with me. I was 15 in 1990 and snuck into the pub to watch it and I was amazed by middle aged men crying. It's getting to a real possibility! 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    joneve said:

Surely you mean 52 years?! 
    p90fool said:
    joneve said:

Surely you mean 52 years?! 
    Well we weren't actually bad in the 80's and early 90's and people could still relate to the team as they actually gave a shit about representing their county. We had some unlucky results (Hand of God for example) which meant we didn't reach our potential. 

The teams of the last 15 or so years have not shown any pride or passion in playing for England like Linekar, Gazza, Shearer, Pearce, Seaman etc did...and it's shown with the results (or lack thereof), but this group of lads seems to care and seem to want it. They've given us an identity again. 
  • The past is a foreign country, let's see what happens today. 

Keep that football like you stole it Lads...c'mon....
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Haven't been this nervous about a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain. 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    They should treat this game just like the others, cautious respect for their opponent, one game at a time, forget the hype and build up, it's just another Saturday afternoon premiership game, go and do what you do. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited July 2018
    I was 12 in 1990. I remember watching the game in my mum and dad's living room. 1996 I was sat on the floor of my friend's mum and dad's living room watching. This evening I'll be in my own living room watching with my eldest daughter. I already have butterflies! For years I've wanted to love England but it's hard when you feel the players don't give a shit about what they are doing themselves. I'm actually enjoying getting caught up in all the excitement this time round although it will make it all the more painful if we don't make it. I'm relatively confident about tonight having watched Croatia's last couple of games. We are definitely more than capable of beating them. A final against France really won't be comfortable viewing, but I've never found any England game comfortable to watch, apart from the Sweden game last week. It was quite bizarre looking so assured. It would be amazing to make the final, and have a chance of winning the whole bloody thing. On our day I think we can beat anyone. I just hope we do!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I can remember 1966, I was 12 and we lived in w.Germany at RAF Gütersloh, on an officers estate, all English families. No telly. Just radio. Us kids were out on our bikes playing like a normal Saturday ignoring it, pretty much like I'll do tonight. I do remember one of the other kids dads' coming out to tell us to come in and listen to the last few mins. Some people did get very excited but it mostly washed over us.
    CHRISB50 said:
    I was 12 in 1990. I remember watching the game in my mum and dad's living room. 1996 I was sat on the floor of my friend's mum and dad's living room watching. This evening I'll be in my own living room watching with my eldest daughter. I already have butterflies! For years I've wanted to love England but it's hard when you feel the players don't give a shit about what they are doing themselves. I'm actually enjoying getting caught up in all the excitement this time round although it will make it all the more painful if we don't make it. I'm relatively confident about tonight having watched Croatia's last couple of games. We are definitely more than capable of beating them. A final against France really won't be comfortable viewing, but I've never found any England game comfortable to watch, apart from the Sweden game last week. It was quite bizarre looking so assured. It would be amazing to make the final, and have a chance of winning the whole bloody thing. On our day I think we can beat anyone. I just hope we do!
    This just about sums up my feelings. I'm an absolute nervous wreck already. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I remember the sticker albums from '82, and hearing about Robson's goal, but '86 was the first real tournament for me I guess. I had the Wallchart with the teama around the outside (Daily Express probably), and remember the Argentina game. By '90 we were in the Southern Hemisphere, but I caught the highlights on the news, and then later in the day on TV. '96 was highlights again mostly, but I saw the penalty shootout live before work. 

By '98 I was back in the UK and that was a great tournament experience. I guess why I prefer the '98 Three Lions song too. It was a long down hill from there though.

This is by the far my favourite tournament, regardless of what happens tonight.

At this level, it can go either way, but I do expect England to edge it tonight..
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    joneve said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    This just about sums up my feelings. I'm an absolute nervous wreck already. 

It's horrible isn't it.

Ghost Ship bought. I feel better prepared now.

Come on England!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I am almost constantly humming Three Lions and feel quite anxious about tonight. I'm struggling to remember the last time I felt this excited about a football match.
    Lot of blokes in waistcoats around today, I might be wearing mine in front of the TV later. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12366
    quarky said:
    Way too early you've jinxed the lot now, we're out...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    I was 6 in 66 so no memory at all. Recall some of 1970 but more from the awesome view point of Pele and co

recall 1982 and 86. IMO the best 2 chances/sides we've had was Gazza and co in 92 and Hoddle's team in France . So I'm hoping tonight of all nights it is going to be a great night and no more pizza ads on the horizon
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Unfortunately having to miss the game again tonight due to a teaching home visit, they've offered for me to have our lesson earlier however but I have another lesson this evening at mine. A bit worried driving around after the result (win or lose) some hooligans will trash my car.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Just listening to Three Lions on R2 and almost started crying. I had to pull myself together sharpish when the missus came in the room.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    COME ON ENGLAND