Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Slash Album and Tour announced

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22864
    I'mrreally enjoying the album. It's basically a less heavy alter bridge with slash replacing tremonti but that's still cool.
    That description's not winning me over at all, but I'm not really a fan of either band so fair play to those who enjoy it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Just listened to the album for the first time. It will be my last too.

I hoped – I mean really hoped – that my previous opinions would change by listening to it full and giving it a fair chance. But nay.

Big picture (and opinionated) review:

The songs sound more or less the same.
    The melodies share a similar sort of form, lacking imagination and go nowhere exciting. There’s no journey for the listener.
    Kennedy’s voice is too perfect for Slash’s sleazy guitar playing.
    Overall it sounded bland and contrived, and by the time it got to Driving Rain, the stand out track, I was bored.

If this was a debut album by some band starting out, most people would say it’s alright. Because it’s Slash and Myles Kennedy doesn’t make it better. Given their experience, I expected much better. Poor effort if you ask me.

Anyway, I’m going to stop talking before you all form a lynch mob and come “out ta get me”...

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
  • beed84 said:

I hoped – I mean really hoped – that my previous opinions would change by listening to it full and giving it a fair chance. But nay.

The melodies share a similar sort of form, lacking imagination and go nowhere exciting. There’s no journey for the listener.
    Overall it sounded bland and contrived, and by the time it got to Driving Rain, the stand out track, I was bored.

If this was a debut album by some band starting out, most people would say it’s alright. Because it’s Slash and Myles Kennedy doesn’t make it better. Given their experience, I expected much better. Poor effort if you ask me.

Anyway, I’m going to stop talking before you all form a lynch mob and come “out ta get me”...

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    Hmm while I can appreciate the point of view; it is certainly on first listen not a ‘classic’ and a bit of a departure from Slash’s previous efforts, I’m not sure I can agree with categorically ruling it out from only one listen! Some of my favourite albums of all time were slow burners... I wasn’t blown away by ‘It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere’ for quite some time until my head got used to it and began to pick up on a lot more detail. I simply didn’t get ‘Badmotorfinger’ on first listen and that album is phenomenal. I would urge you to try a few more times! But I totally get it, I was a little disappointed by this record at first listen. I felt it was a tad samey and I wasn’t impressed with Myles Kennedy at all (and I’m normally a huge fan)...

... I have however listened about 5 times now and it is beginning to grow on me. Some of the guitar playing really is Slash at his best. And some of the tracks like Slow Grind that to me sounded more like an effort from the Tubes than from Slash are suddenly jumping out as really quite great tracks. Different doesn’t mean bad and I’m certainly planning on giving it a thorough outing before making my mind up fully. Gut feeling so far is that it’s great guitar playing let down by uninspiring vocal melodies. Maybe that’s something that will grow on me too? But there’s definitely some goosebump guitar parts.

Having said all of this I absolutely loved World on Fire which I have noticed a lot of people on here didn’t like, so maybe ignore me if you didn’t like the last one!!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Marc Maron interviewed Slash in his latest WTF podcast.
  • supessupes Frets: 182
    beed84 said:

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    It’s never going to be Guns n Roses “quality” because Myles brings something different in terms of song writing and melodies.

i think it’s quite different from his previous solo albums with far more variety and songs that actually do sound different. There’s some quality guitar on there and some very different tones to what we’re used to getting from Slash.

i’m giving it a few more listens. It’s like any solo album for me - it’s never as good as the full band because it’s far less of a collaborative effort.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• There is some footage from the Whisky show on YouTube now, looks great https://youtu.be/dKoS4mKBS-s

he’s using that same ugly Les Paul he did over the summer... what’s the bet that it’s the next signature as he used the anaconda for a while and then bam! they released it and he stopped using it. 
    Told you!! Slash has just announced that ugly Les Paul is coming out!!!

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

There is some footage from the Whisky show on YouTube now, looks great https://youtu.be/dKoS4mKBS-s

he’s using that same ugly Les Paul he did over the summer... what’s the bet that it’s the next signature as he used the anaconda for a while and then bam! they released it and he stopped using it. 
    Told you!! Slash has just announced that ugly Les Paul is coming out!!!

Where did you see that?   Not that I don't believe you but I want details  :)
  • Rabs said:

Where did you see that?   Not that I don't believe you but I want details  :)
    He Instagrammed it

Also, the official video for Driving Rain is superb!

edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

Where did you see that?   Not that I don't believe you but I want details 
    He Instagrammed it

Ahh yes I just found it on Facebook too..  BUT its a different colour?   The one Slash has been playing is red around the edge

https://i.imgur.com/D6UbdWj.jpg

Clearly a different colour

https://i.imgur.com/BXQknC6.jpg

Rabs said:

Where did you see that?   Not that I don't believe you but I want details 

I just watched some of the video.... I can see the production meeting..

Producer: Hey Slash, how about another video of the band playing on the side of a hill with sweeping shots and someone driving a car

Slash: Nah I cant be bothered, get some muppet to do it instead

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I haven't really followed the history of Slash's signature models, but is there anything different about this one, apart from the colour and the black plastic parts?
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I haven't really followed the history of Slash's signature models, but is there anything different about this one, apart from the colour and the black plastic parts?

They haven't done a darkburst one in a while..  That about all I can tell you... We have had reds and greens before this one, I think the first one was the AFD copy (of a fake) and then a couple of darkbursts after that.
  • Philly_Q said:
    In the last couple of years he seems to be favouring bigger necks - the anaconda and this are based off 58s. This one has a Brazilian Rosewood board which is why it is US only. Other than that, no. Hardware and pickups all the same.

Good point @Rabs , the one he has been playing is different. I struggle to see anything beyond the black pickup surrounds which just look awful to me. I think this new one should be called ‘Bile Burst’.

Philly_Q said:
    In the last couple of years he seems to be favouring bigger necks - the anaconda and this are based off 58s. This one has a Brazilian Rosewood board which is why it is US only. Other than that, no. Hardware and pickups all the same.

Good point @Rabs , the one he has been playing is different. I struggle to see anything beyond the black pickup surrounds which just look awful to me. I think this new one should be called ‘Bile Burst’.

Maybe once they actually saw Slash playing it live they decided against it, once they stopped throwing up

Or maybe they have finally run out of stupid names for slightly different coloured bursts so just made it dark in the end....

Well, I like the sound of the bigger neck anyway.  The green (anaconda?) one looked good, but pricey of course.
  • That is an awesome video!!!!!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Rabs said:
    Philly_Q said:

They haven't done a darkburst one in a while..  That about all I can tell you... We have had reds and greens before this one, I think the first one was the AFD copy (of a fake) and then a couple of darkbursts after that.

There was I beleive
    The snakepit Les Paul
    A darkburst standard with dark back
    Tobacco burst with piezo
    A sort of faded lemon standard
    Then the goldtop (coolest of them all)
    Then the AFD (then in the reds later)
    Anaconda burst
    Firebird
    This current one.
  • These are all of the signature Slash Les Pauls

http://www.guitarscollector.com/slash-guitars.html

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    These are all of the signature Slash Les Pauls

Was almost bang on the money too :D
  • underdog said:
    These are all of the signature Slash Les Pauls

Was almost bang on the money too :D
    Close enough!!! There’s one of the 2004 ones with the piezo in GAK right now for £4k