The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Studio monitors at home. 2x12 cab on stage with a direct feed to FOH live works great for me.

Not really any different feel wise to a traditional set up, just sounds better and is way more flexible! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    I’d like to give it another go but I just think that for me, amp and pedals are the way to go. I just don’t think it sounds or feels as good. 

Im constantly blown away at how good it is for recording but using it live I really just prefer my Dirty Shirley. But if something great comes out I’ll definitey keep an open mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I keep contemplating a Kemper but I’d have to flog my Bad Cat first, unless anyone is up for a trade ;)
  • sweepy said:
    I keep contemplating a Kemper but I’d have to flog my Bad Cat first, unless anyone is up for a trade ;)
    Do it, you'll not regret it.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    edited September 2018
    sweepy said:
    I keep contemplating a Kemper but I’d have to flog my Bad Cat first, unless anyone is up for a trade
    Personally I’d say acquire the Kemper first and decide if it’s for you and then sell the amp. 

Have you done much studio time or listened through monitors a fair amount? Are you used to the sound of miked amps?

I ask this because a Kemper will not sound anything like an amp in the room, and it can be a shock for those not used to the difference a Kemper will bring.

If you are happy with all that then by all means ignore me completely. :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I’ve used modelling gear from the days of the original kidney bean pod going through Digitech 2112. Gsp1101, AxeFx2 and Helix so I’m well versed on the vagaries of Modelling gear, it’s just a shame that the Bad Cat gets switched on maybe 3 or 4 times a month, it should be gigged and thrashed a bit ;)
    sweepy said:
    I’ve used modelling gear from the days of the original kidney bean pod going through Digitech 2112. Gsp1101, AxeFx2 and Helix so I’m well versed on the vagaries of Modelling gear, it’s just a shame that the Bad Cat gets switched on maybe 3 or 4 times a month, it should be gigged and thrashed a bit ;)
    Well in that case there’s no excuse! Go and get one. That’s what credit cards were made for...  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kemper update...

Rehearsed last night (for the first time in a month - due to band members holidays), and tried the Kemper for the first time with the active Red Sound RS12 cab.

I feel amazed Im now using 'digital' stuff (ie modern) as I call it; I never thought Id go down this route, but you know last night, I went from playing Oo La La (the Faces) clean setting, to I Cant Explain (The Who) with a Marshall esq feel to In The Crowd (The Jam)... all with the Kemper footswitch.

AND it sounded awesome !!

I'm really getting the hang of it now, and can set up/save/adjust just using the Kemper itself (as opposed to the Rig Manager).

I have two set-ups, as previously noted; one for home and one for the band.

Sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Amazing @Wazmeister, so good to hear that, mate!

The more and more I get used to it and learn how to dial in the drives against certain profiles and compression settings etc, the more I get it and the more I like it. It's an awesome piece of kit isn't it!

I'm missing my foot switch now though, I'm gonna need some funds to grab one quickly...since it's gone the more I've realised how important it is and how much I use it.

• My break through has involved add one of the blue compressors before the amp, and a red soft shaper (a la Brian Clare) after the amp.

I then assign these to the footswitch.

It's also great to add both comp and soft shaper to one footswitch.
  • My break through has involved add one of the blue compressors before the amp, and a red soft shaper (a la Brian Clare) after the amp.

I then assign these to the footswitch.

It's also great to add both comp and soft shaper to one footswitch.
    I tried the same after watching the Tone Junkie video about Soft Shapers, really makes a nice difference. He knows his stuff and could watch his videos all day learning stuff!

Apparently, you can assign lots of FX to one footswitch, I didn't try it but I will when I get my remote back!

• Discovered the delay+reverb mix control in the reverb block this evening. Gets various configurations, including parallel delay and reverb, which is just what the doctor ordered. Sounds great...as does the Tape delays preset, fantastic.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Discovered the delay+reverb mix control in the reverb block this evening. Gets various configurations, including parallel delay and reverb, which is just what the doctor ordered. Sounds great...as does the Tape delays preset, fantastic.

good tape delays is one of the things that'll put a kemper sized hole in my bank balance when I try it.

(borrowing one next week!!! I'm well excited!!! and tracking guitars all the weekend so have an excuse to blast out some profiles at a good volume!!!)

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    One thing I did find from my first gig with the Ross (Kemper) was that the delays and reverb needed to be increased a lot. What sounded pretty wet at home didn't translate so well to live use.

Think I was on about 50% mix on delay, but needed more.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    FarleyUK said:
    One thing I did find from my first gig with the Ross (Kemper) was that the delays and reverb needed to be increased a lot. What sounded pretty wet at home didn't translate so well to live use.

Think I was on about 50% mix on delay, but needed more.

were you running them on parallel paths or using the mix crossover wizardry that JT83 mentioned?

I've always found I've had to dial back delays that sound right at home, just gets lost and mushy in band mix when too wet.

• Yeah I think it's the same or similar whatever using you're using.

• I got my Red Sound LG12 a few weeks ago and was immediately impressed with the sound. I did feel it was lacking a little bit of the clarity of the DXR10 though. I decided to try both, pole mounted the DXR with the Red Sound on the floor in front.

I've done a band practice and three gigs with this set up and it's awesome! One of the best sounds I've ever had. Loads of headroom, projects well on stage and is completely controllable. It's a fairly light rig too.
  • drwiddly said:
    I got my Red Sound LG12 a few weeks ago and was immediately impressed with the sound. I did feel it was lacking a little bit of the clarity of the DXR10 though. I decided to try both, pole mounted the DXR with the Red Sound on the floor in front.

I've done a band practice and three gigs with this set up and it's awesome! One of the best sounds I've ever had. Loads of headroom, projects well on stage and is completely controllable. It's a fairly light rig too.
    Mate, which Red Sound speaker did you get mate ? Active or passive ?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Yeah I think it's the same or similar whatever using you're using.
    Um.... you what mate?
  • FarleyUK said:
    Yeah I think it's the same or similar whatever using you're using.
    Um.... you what mate?
    Just that I've had to bump delays and reverbs on my pedals when I'm in a band mix. In some cases, I've had to just turn them off entirely. We're all different though.