Clapton fans ...

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
... 9pm, BBC2 Saturday 30 June ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Life in 12 Bars.....excellent. I enjoyed it at the cinema. Worth it for those that missed it
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Thanks for the heads up! Otherwise I always miss the good stuff.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6730
    edited June 2018
    Frankly it's a pretty harrowing and unflinching profile of a self-destructive addict over the course of a few decades. Post-Cream it really doesn't concentrate on his music at all (except some Duane Allman stuff and Tears in Heaven) which is a shame as  those 80s albums were huge. 

Great doc. Not an easy watch. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Had this waiting to watch for a while but not had time yet. Gutted to hear it's not all about his music, that's all I wanted it for really 

Does it explain away his mad racist nonsense? Always wished he wasn't into that
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2018
    thegummy said:

His infamous onstage rant is covered as part of his very dark 70s period. I'd highly recommend watching the whole thing.
  • Anyone know if this will go onto the iPlayer afterwards? Not gonna be able to watch it 'live', but would love to catch it on demand at some point.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    Very much worth watching. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    thegummy said:
    Had this waiting to watch for a while but not had time yet. Gutted to hear it's not all about his music, that's all I wanted it for really 

It was in a period of his life where is was totally out of control. Don't forget he and BB King were the best of friends..
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Am pleased for EC that it made it out the other side. All too often we read of the famous that they died in their prime, or that they end up as washed out shells. Good on Eric that he saw something about himself worth saving, and with the help of others helped stopped the rot.

Will try to watch the film, just to see how bad things got. It’ll help put his music and other stuff into perspective (as in filling in the bits between the music), including the Crossroads Festival.

Probably a lot more honest and open than the recent Jeff Beck documentary.
  • skikdi53skikdi53 Frets: 198
    Thank's
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:

It was in a period of his life where is was totally out of control. Don't forget he and BB King were the best of friends..
    His actions indicate the rants have no basis in reality, he's always worked with people of other races.

As a former alcoholic myself, I know that I've said some crazy things that have actually zero basis on how I have ever thought so I've always hoped that's the case with Clapton.

I fear some people who have never been addicts would suspect that "there must be some truth to it deep down" but I know from experience there sometimes is none.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Bugger I have a gig that night :( iPlayer on Sunday I reckon 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    I'm not sure the fact that he was friends with black people makes it any better.

'Big' Ron Atkinson championed black football players. Doesn't make him less of a racist, does it?

EC's quote was:

"I think Enoch’s right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. This is Great Britain, a white country. What is happening to us, for f***’s sake?"

Pretty damn bad, to be honest and he's done remarkably well IMHO to still be viewed favourably in modern society. You can only imagine the reaction if he had made those comments in more recent times.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    There's some crazy footage of him when he's mashed up. There's a photo from the recording of 'Layla' and he's got a bag of talk chalk in front of him that makes Tony Montana look like a weekend dabbler.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Hattigol said:
    I'm not sure the fact that he was friends with black people makes it any better.

'Big' Ron Atkinson championed black football players. Doesn't make him less of a racist, does it?

EC's quote was:

"I think Enoch’s right, I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. This is Great Britain, a white country. What is happening to us, for f***’s sake?"

Pretty damn bad, to be honest and he's done remarkably well IMHO to still be viewed favourably in modern society. You can only imagine the reaction if he had made those comments in more recent times.
    No wonder he doesn't say much at his concerts anymore. Well he hardly muttered a word when I say him about 5 years ago  :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited June 2018
    It is a harrowing watch - the live Q&A he did after it was screened in January in cinemas suggests he found it tough to watch. It’s certainly not sugar-coated.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6730
    I think he's a colossal twat, but not racist. Bloke played Nelson Mandela's birthday ffs. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8190
    soma1975 said:
    I think he's a colossal twat, but not racist. Bloke played Nelson Mandela's birthday ffs. 
    Not sure really what more he could have said to come across as a racist?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12409
    Oh come on, we were all racist in the 70s. All the birds had smashing tits n all. Cant say owt these days for fear of upsetting the namby pamby do gooders.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom