Tape Over Headstock Logo?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Just watching some live sets on Youtube and notice that a guy has the logos on his guitar's headstock covered with black tape.

It's not the first time I've seen this, I've seen it before on rare occasions.

Anyone know what the deal is with that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The guitarist may have an endorsement deal with another company; I know of drummers who do this with kick drum skins when they have to use stuff that's provided by the venue.  Alternatively, the guitarist may not want to give free advertising the brand of guitar they are using in the vid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11832
    Sometimes people do it if they are using cheaper brands I think, saw one guy do it with what appeared to be a squier once.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    I’ve heard about similar arrangements with serial numbers on the back of headstocks - but not on the front....
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27165
    I assume it's often sometimes occasionally an anti-capitalist statement by those who can't afford nice gear..?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think some people do this kind of thing because they think they should. Like folks who write about a product, say. on a forum, and then offer “full disclosure” that their neighbor works for Fender of whatever. As if they’re a fucking journalist.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    I assume it's often sometimes occasionally an anti-capitalist statement by those who can't afford nice gear..?
    I used to know a guy who did this. He had good gear though. I think his band's management had decided it was a good idea and had some credibility. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Pointless.

It just draws attention to something that otherwise would go un-noticed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    You see it all the time on telly. Even on 'The Detectorists'.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    You see it all the time on telly. Even on 'The Detectorists'.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14327
    tFB Trader
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    I’d like to tape over Weller’s head as I don’t like him, or what he represents....
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5546
    Billy Gibbons did this on Jools Holland a few years ago. Taped over the Gibson logo then wrote 'Tokai' on it! 

https://i.imgur.com/lMvIW1V.png

7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I've seen at least one band with Marshall amps, where they put black gaffa tape over the logo on stage. They felt that if Marshall wanted the publicity, they could offer an endorsement deal.

This is why I don't wear T shirts with brand names on, or have tattoos.  If you want me to wear either, you've gotta stump up the readies!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8747
    When The Who played at the London Olympics party Pete Townshend had to tape over the Fender logos on his amps because of the IOC’s policy on brand marketing 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2962
    richh said:
    I've seen at least one band with Marshall amps, where they put black gaffa tape over the logo on stage. They felt that if Marshall wanted the publicity, they could offer an endorsement deal.

And were they hypocritical enough to expect their fans to pay to buy merchandise to promote the band? Or did they pay their fans to take a T-shirt? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    I once did a gig for the bbc where they insisted on taping over the logo on my line 6 amp, after the threat of physical violence they left my guitar alone though. They said it was because of advertising
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I have done this on occasion when I have had to use hired back line and can't use the amps that I am endorsed by. I hasten to add this has never been a stipulation of the company that helps me, it is more a mark of respect from myself, in that the support they offer me is absolutely worth it it's weight in gold and as such I will do what ever I can to support them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

it could well have been that cherry Mira
    tFB Trader
    Trotter said:
    I have done this on occasion when I have had to use hired back line and can't use the amps that I am endorsed by. I hasten to add this has never been a stipulation of the company that helps me, it is more a mark of respect from myself, in that the support they offer me is absolutely worth it it's weight in gold and as such I will do what ever I can to support them. 
    That is why companies like Peavey initially went with a trade mark metal facia strip on either side of the speaker cloth - Instant brand recognition without a logo  - Obviously such ideas are now part of marketing for that instant recognition - the Nike tick for instance