Tape Over Headstock Logo?

What's Hot

Comments

• edwnedwn Frets: 10
    Wayne Krantz used to tape over the James Tyler logo even though he was an endorsee ... he just didn't like the repeating thing it does, and I can't say I blame him .... :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edwn said:
    Wayne Krantz used to tape over the James Tyler logo even though he was an endorsee ... he just didn't like the repeating thing it does, and I can't say I blame him .... :-)
    Lol googling it, it really is a particularly dreadful logo and headstock in general.

I still find it odd to tape over it though. I could understand removing it or painting over it or something but the tape thing surely looks just as bad or worse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23027
    edited June 2018
    thegummy said:
    edwn said:
    Lol googling it, it really is a particularly dreadful logo and headstock in general.

I still find it odd to tape over it though. I could understand removing it or painting over it or something but the tape thing surely looks just as bad or worse.
    Lots of people don't like the Tyler headstock or logo, but Wayne Krantz's tatty bit of black tape makes it look much worse.  If it bothered him that much I don't know why he didn't just go back to Tyler and ask him to refinish the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tape over my camera logo’s when I’m doing night photography. But that’s because I don’t want to get mugged.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1263
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

Bloody hell, is that really what a nice early Mira goes for or is a Steve Cradocks connection worth more than I’d ever expected?

I really like his playing, he’s on some great sounding tracks, and a “core series” Mira is a great guitar, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money for one...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited June 2018
    JayGee said:
    Bloody hell, is that really what a nice early Mira goes for or is a Steve Cradocks connection worth more than I’d ever expected?

I really like his playing, he’s on some great sounding tracks, and a “core series” Mira is a great guitar, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money for one...

I know - I thought one of those would go for a riverboat song....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    guitars4you said:
    such ideas are now part of marketing for that instant recognition - the Nike tick for instance
    Mark- wash your mouth out. It’s a swoosh not a tick. A tick is a blood sucking insect like (insert name of user/company/artist to suit) 

fond regards
    rsvm
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hang on a second... so is this why slipknot wore masks?!?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    I think I would de-badge my kit if I were a pro and the company wouldn't help me out.
    Maybe even down-brand things.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    57Deluxe said:
    is like BMW owners opting to have the model badges removed so you think it a better spec than is...

BMW even charge to have it removed.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    JayGee said:
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

No, there's a mint one on ebay now for £899.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-MIRA-USA-CORE-LINE-NOT-S2-LIGHT-BALANCED-A-SUPERB-PLAYER-NR-MINT/292617521850?hash=item44215d0aba:g:RREAAOSwxdRbMNix

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Unless it is done for an "in joke" or some other tongue in cheek reason there is zero point in doing anything like this!

The people who know about these things will know what it is anyway, regardless of any tape placement and those that don't know will not be affected anyway.

• horsehorse Frets: 1583
    TheRobLew said:
    I read an interview with Eddie Grant years ago, he was using Ibanez guitars, having hits all over the world, and when he approached them for "help" with gear, he said they refused, so he started taping his headstock logos up.
     Probably didn't wanna dance to their tune no more
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I remember reading somewhere that the producers of Crossroads ( the 80’s Guitar movie) requested Steve Vai to tape up the Jackson logo on the headstock as they worried that people would link Micheal Jackson to the devil. 
    (Steve plays the part of the devils guitarist Jack Butler in the film) 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @professorben I heard that recently on a podcast, I think.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I remember reading somewhere that the producers of Crossroads ( the 80’s Guitar movie) requested Steve Vai to tape up the Jackson logo on the headstock as they worried that people would link Micheal Jackson to the devil. 
    When you said crossroads I thought you might have been talking about the festival. I've always wondered if that was heavily sponsored by fender because so many fender instruments are used.

Basically, except from some of the artists who very specifically play a different brand, most others used fenders. Most of the backing band members and nearly all of the bassists. A lot of the artists themselves too.

Made me wonder if fenders are just ubiquitous in that scene or if that's what fender want people to think so pay for it to happen.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817

I've heard that story too. I suspect it's bollocks. Almost certainly the boring reality will be down to product placement where Fender will have paid for it and Jackson won't 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23027

I've heard that story too. I suspect it's bollocks. Almost certainly the boring reality will be down to product placement where Fender will have paid for it and Jackson won't 

Most music-related films seem to have product placement/endorsement deals.  I remember there were an awful lot of Gibsons in School of Rock.

Conversely, that Hendrix film with Andre 3000, I don't think you ever see him with an actual Fender guitar.... and there are no songs written by Hendrix on the soundtrack.

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Philly_Q said:

Most music-related films seem to have product placement/endorsement deals.  I remember there were an awful lot of Gibsons in School of Rock.

Conversely, that Hendrix film with Andre 3000, I don't think you ever see him with an actual Fender guitar.... and there are no songs written by Hendrix on the soundtrack.

I think that was down to the Hendrix estate refusing to licence any Hendrix songs for the film.  Hence the bit toward the end at the Savoy Theatre they conveniently pick the opening number he played - Sgt. Pepper.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    57Deluxe said:
    is like BMW owners opting to have the model badges removed so you think it a better spec than is...

BMW even charge to have it removed.
    It's free to have the badges deleted. And a lot of drivers have them removed from higher spec cars so they are not targeted for theft.