Tape Over Headstock Logo?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649

I think that was down to the Hendrix estate refusing to licence any Hendrix songs for the film
    Ah yes, the Hendrix estate - a class act all round. Can you imagine a Hendrix family barbequeue with the Zappas invited? What an orgy of love, harmony, and sharing that would be =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2425
    skunkwerx said:
    Hang on a second... so is this why slipknot wore masks?!?
    No, that's ’cause they're all in their late fifties making music for teenagers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 156
    Philly_Q said:
    I remember reading somewhere that the producers of Crossroads ( the 80’s Guitar movie) requested Steve Vai to tape up the Jackson logo on the headstock as they worried that people would link Micheal Jackson to the devil. 
    (Steve plays the part of the devils guitarist Jack Butler in the film) 

I've heard that story too. I suspect it's bollocks. Almost certainly the boring reality will be down to product placement where Fender will have paid for it and Jackson won't 

Most music-related films seem to have product placement/endorsement deals.  I remember there were an awful lot of Gibsons in School of Rock.

Conversely, that Hendrix film with Andre 3000, I don't think you ever see him with an actual Fender guitar.... and there are no songs written by Hendrix on the soundtrack.

Production company isn't gonna go out and buy a bunch of guitars even on Hollywood kind of budget, so they just ring Gibson up and ask for twenty random guitars on loan in return for the free advertising. Easier and cheaper.

I've actually taped over the logo on my Tokai SG. It's not for any principled reasons - I just really hate the faux MoP material they used and black tape was the first thing I had to hand.

Ironically we actually have a band endorsement with another brand of guitars but they don't really care about me using my Tokai or Ricks live as long as we do a certain percentage of songs with their stuff and use them for the promo material, which I'm happy to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Weird as PRS are one of the most forward thinking guitar brands, surely thats Mod aint it?!

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025

I think I recall there was something similar to this when Steve Cradock played with Paul Weller - Steve had his PRS Mira headstock taped up - allegedly as Paul did  not like PRS Guitars, or what they represented !!!
    Slightly off topic but Guitar Classics have a couple of Steve Cradocks PRS guitars in the shop at the mo..
    http://www.guitar-classics.co.uk/pages/other01.html

it could well have been that cherry Mira
    Steve was trying to sell the Mira and a P90 singlecut on his facebook page a few weeks back, the asking price? .......£3k each..........!!