eBay Content: Schrodinger's Cat...

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27160
    I got this response when I requested pics

Hi Jon, if I open the case it is no longer "unopened" or new. The buyer is welcome to open the case on point of purchase when collecting it. The hardcase and box aren't damaged so why would the guitar be?
    Thank you

What a weird guy. Does he think he'll get another like-minded nutcase who agrees with him?!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14540
    edited June 2018
    thegummy said:
    a Mexican fender from 6 years ago anyway? Not exactly vintage lol
    Ironically, a 2012 MIM Fender is probably a more playable instrument straight from the box than its nearest CBS era equivalent from Fullerton. 

stickyfiddle said:
    I paid ~550 for mine including a Hiscox, iirc. 
    A fair price for the package - unlike the eBay opportunist.

thegummy said:
    Do guitar collectors actually place value on a case being unopened?
    I doubt it. The condition of an item is secondary to its intrinsic desirability.

Back in the day, the proprietor of the music shop in my town had one of the limited edition Marshall 30th Anniversary heads. In the time that he had the amp, it came out of the box three or four times. To the best of my knowledge, it was switched on twice. The shop proprietor's plan was always to make a profit on the future collectability of the amp. (He referred to it as "my retirement fund".) Unfortunately, he never got much enjoyment out of the proceeds. Forty years of chain smoking did for him.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    If it was an unopened Fender box Clearly labelled on the outside I could see some collector value.... didn’t some Dan Smith era strats get sold like this in the last decade?  I think there have been other examples of genuinely NOS items

but a generic shipping box and a case which the seller can only claim, never prove, has been opened... nope.  The value, if there was any, would be in a factory box and undisturbed tape.
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    I got this response when I requested pics

Hi Jon, if I open the case it is no longer "unopened" or new. The buyer is welcome to open the case on point of purchase when collecting it. The hardcase and box aren't damaged so why would the guitar be?
    Thank you

"The hardcase and box aren't damaged so why would the guitar be?"

er... because maybe it was faulty or damaged before it was put in the case? this happens.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    For Sale - Fender Telecaster - never viewed by human eyes.

Yeah. Ok....
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2293
    I recently acquired an FSR Tele (not black paisley  though) for less than half what that seller is asking, but someone was asking £800 for the same guitar on eBay. Of course an asking price and a selling price are two rather different things...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    HAL9000 said:
    So the guitar is there and also not there until the case is opened? Then it becomes one or the other.

And of course the new owner dies from breathing in the cyanide which was an essential part of Shrödinger’s original thought experiment...
    'brand new, in box, wave function never collapsed' is now officially a thing.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Seller must think he's got something akin to the lost Ark of the Covenant.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2298
    Am I missing something here?

Does the hard case have some sort of "factory seal" on it to show if it has been opened?

Is the guitar inside protected by a special CO2 enriched atmosphere to prevent degradation perhaps?

Open the box and take a picture or two of the guitar! - what a tart!
    Adey said:
    a special CO2 enriched atmosphere 
    By Jove. He's got it.

The carbon dioxide inside the *unopened* guitar case is currently of enormous value to the brewing and/or food packing industries. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9670
    Absolute clown. I'll be amazed if anybody would risk it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

Lol...the idea of rarefied air in the 'unopened' case sounds as bizarre as the apocryphal Lee Mavers' "'60's dust" Mixing Desk story... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

"'60's dust" Mixing Desk story... ;)
    As distinct from the Fleetwood Mac mixing desk dust stories? :-p
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The sound on rumours is so beautiful that if there is a story about "dust" falling in to it, I'd start to believe that audio gear can absorb drugs
    Who cares? It’s all bollocks. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

thegummy said:
    The sound on rumours is so beautiful that if there is a story about "dust" falling in to it, I'd start to believe that audio gear can absorb drugs

Ah, well...there’s the rub, you see...’Rumours’ is never likely to figure anywhere near my definition of listenable, beautiful or enjoyable.

I’ll get me coat... ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    thegummy said:

Ah, well...there’s the rub, you see...’Rumours’ is never likely to figure anywhere near my definition of listenable, beautiful or enjoyable.

Wis'd 
    mbe said:
    thegummy said:

Wis'd 
    Lol’d as even with 200 guitars H7 doesn’t recognise a masterpiece album.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Bridgehouse said:

On a serious note - ignoring the jibe from @Bridgehousethats why the aesthetics of music is so fascinating...it may have sold 25 million copies, but it still sets my teeth on edge - and I don’t buy into the idea that I’m *supposed* to recognise/like/respect its “masterpiece” status.

Anyway, like I said...I’ll get me coat...

Bridgehouse said:

On a serious note - ignoring the jibe from @Bridgehouse - thats why the aesthetics of music is so fascinating...it may have sold 25 million copies, but it still sets my teeth on edge. 
    Of course. If we all had the same taste then life would be really very dull.