One Guitar To Rule Them All........

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2610
    edited June 2018
    Tom Anderson Short Classic.  HSS Strat,  great sounding bridge split sound, Gibson scale, Anderson fit, finish and playability.  I was concerned it might not sound "Stratty" enough with the shorter scale length but it sounds like a very good HSS Strat.  Pretty much my perfect guitar.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    If we're talking a specific instrument that means something to us, then this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjistjogua957lm/Strat.jpg?raw=1

The 1973 Strat that I've owned since 1979. It's been part of my life and I love playing it. 

If we're talking about a guitar that is (or was) available to buy, then probably the Brook Tavy I played a couple of years ago when I was looking for something to play finger-style on. Not quite as good a picking guitar as the Taw I actually bought, but a genuine all-rounder that gave me great pleasure to play and I've regretted not having enough dosh for both at the time (although I don't regret buying the Taw at all). 
    Lovely guitar, I was born in 74, only got the 86 this year, couldn't stretch to a 74 but its on my to do list : )
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1473
    monofin said:
    This one - my Asher Ultratone T Deluxe. Absolutely glorious guitar:

That is simply stunning. Never heard of it though.

This one - my Asher Ultratone T Deluxe. Absolutely glorious guitar:

So, I assume volume and tone are the chrome, what's the chickenhead for? 
    That's lovely by the way, I'm scared to Google for a price though- in case I CAN afford one & have to explain its arrival to the wife... Or I have to sell a kidney & THEN have to explain its arrival to the wife! ;)

Google is your friend:

https://asher-guitars-lap-steels-store.myshopify.com/pages/t-deluxe

It's handmade by LA-based luthier Bill Asher - he makes guitars for guys like Lindsey Buckingham, Paul Simon, Marc Ford, Jackson Browne etc, and is the go-to tech for the David Crosbys of this world.

The chicken head is a Tone Styler circuit, and makes it incredibly versatile. It has 6 positions (some have 16) for various degrees of rolling off the top end and shifting the resonant frequency of the mids. It takes the guitar into P90 territory, then with some gain it starts to sound like a half-cocked wah, until it goes right down into something like a warm archtop .

I was only faintly interested in these until I tried one, and then I ended up buying two within a couple of weeks of each other. They are simply stunning - none of my other guitars have sustain like this, or purity of tone.

I'm never really a huge fan of versatility in a guitar, but today I started rehearsals for a forthcoming tour with a band whose career spans a number of years and six albums, and generally I'd be planning to use at least three guitars to cover everything. I used the Asher for the entire set and it sounded tremendous.

I can't recommend these highly enough. Coda are the only European dealers, though - in fact one of only two anywhere outside the US.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Either my own blonde ES-335 or my mate's ES-175.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    One guitar - my PRS santana a guitar i can't walk past with out playing it 

In truth my freshman acoustic ;)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    this sexy beast - my Lion Special
    About the same weight as a flying V but easier to sit on the couch with (still love my Vs though)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 835
    My Charvel Guthrie Govan Ash (even though I'm not a shredder).

Tonally very versatile.
    Stays in tune
    Light weight and balanced
    Set up beautifully out of the box.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2611
    tFB Trader
    jdgm said:
    Sorry can't get a pic to work.

If you are using IMGUR use the direct link  :)
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    For myself it would have to be a Jaguar...
  • corona55corona55 Frets: 10
    Gibson Les Paul with 59 PAF's, the King of guitars.
  • I've had a rethink... MrsLostSon read the thread & said "I thought you'd choose that one" & pointed to my acoustic!

So. If I'm only allowed ONE guitar it'd be my Faith Naked Mercury. I literally play it every day- it's my songwriting & practicing tool. 

We all get so obsessed with electric guitars that we sometimes forget the pure & simple joys of a brilliant acoustic. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I only have the one guitar and it’s everything to me! It’s not like most prs guitars, it’s actually cool. Tried owning other guitars at the same time but nothing comes close to the violent assault if this one.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    If we're talking guitars I already have then it'll have to be my SG as the old strat copy is barely playable. If I was looking for something new it'd be a les paul custom, preferably one that doesn't weigh the earth.