Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson 2019 line up full details.. (ohh and a new case design)

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    Purely as an observation - and I really am not stirring - I do recall a recent thread wherein much criticism, if not vitriol, was aimed at those being negative.  Should we not, therefore, be positive and praise Gibson for their efforts, rather than carping on like a load of old gits.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27227
    rlw said:
    Purely as an observation - and I really am not stirring - I do recall a recent thread wherein much criticism, if not vitriol, was aimed at those being negative.  Should we not, therefore, be positive and praise Gibson for their efforts, rather than carping on like a load of old gits.
    Ok. 

The 61 SG would be spot on if it had a poker chip. 

The SG standard likewise, and I’m glad they’re calling the cheap faded one “Tribute” as that leaves room for a Special with P90s as it should have. 

The Les Pauls Trad and Classic are both great, but I don’t understand why they both exist.

The Standard looks good apart from the My Little Pony-burst, but whatever, as long as it still comes in black and gold. 

The Junior looks like a great little guitar and I’d be very keen to try one. Again they’re calling it “Tribute” so there’s room to play with the original spec and also leaves room for a “full-fat” Junior DC as loads of us would like to buy. Though I’d sooner see it with a skinny headstock and labelled Melody Maker.

The case is is better than the old one, though i’d really like to see Hiscox quality and construction, which I’ll be surprised if it has. 

And the ES275 looks great. I really liked the old one, so a centre-blocked and slightly-thinner version should make for a great little guitar. 

No no mention of ES-330s (and almost nothing with P90’s) which is a shame, since I’d actually like to buy one!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:
    Ok. 

The 61 SG would be spot on if it had a poker chip. 

The SG standard likewise, and I’m glad they’re calling the cheap faded one “Tribute” as that leaves room for a Special with P90s as it should have. 

The Les Pauls Trad and Classic are both great, but I don’t understand why they both exist.

The Standard looks good apart from the My Little Pony-burst, but whatever, as long as it still comes in black and gold. 

The Junior looks like a great little guitar and I’d be very keen to try one. Again they’re calling it “Tribute” so there’s room to play with the original spec and also leaves room for a “full-fat” Junior DC as loads of us would like to buy. Though I’d sooner see it with a skinny headstock and labelled Melody Maker.

The case is is better than the old one, though i’d really like to see Hiscox quality and construction, which I’ll be surprised if it has. 

And the ES275 looks great. I really liked the old one, so a centre-blocked and slightly-thinner version should make for a great little guitar. 

No no mention of ES-330s (and almost nothing with P90’s) which is a shame, since I’d actually like to buy one!
    Thank you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    On second look, I’d take Explorer, the rest, in the colours shown, are hideous - either tarts handbag colours and overly glossy or like a 1970’s kitchen cabinet.
    @rlw I can do more bitching as well if you want! ;) 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    rlw said:
    Nope, we are the target audience, and it’s a poor effort in my estimation, why would I call it anything different.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Mostly looks ok to me.  If I was about to buy a new Gibson I’d be able to find the model I was after.   A few style tweaks that may or may not appeal but mostly reasonable decisions imo.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @rlw I can do more bitching as well if you want! ;) 

Enough already
  • ColsCols Frets: 7107
    I have to say, I can’t see too much evidence of simplifying the range here.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    Ok. 

From what I know the main ideas behind them are that the Standard is the flagship model.. Its what they tinker with and change all the time to keep up with I guess whatever is popular in the current market...

The Traditional is the 50s inspired basic model which is what a lot of us want and I kind of agree that should be the standard.

The classic is kind of a cross between a  60s inspired guitar with the slim neck profile but with hot 80s type humbuckers.... (which personally I love)...

Rabs said:
    rlw said:
    Ok. 

From what I know the main ideas behind them are that the Standard is the flagship model.. Its what they tinker with and change all the time to keep up with I guess whatever is popular in the current market...

The Traditional is the 50s inspired basic model which is what a lot of us want and I kind of agree that should be the standard.

The classic is kind of a cross between a  60s inspired guitar with the slim neck profile but with hot 80s type humbuckers.... (which personally I love)...

But my Classic has 57/57+ pickups so not 80s at all.....
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    Rabs said:
    rlw said:
    Ok. 

But my Classic has 57/57+ pickups so not 80s at all.....

Well they do like to change the pickups..  But the early ones and the one I got from 2002 have the ceramic twins the 500t and 496r in them...  It was only the last few years they changed that which to me didn't make it a classic as I knew them.. This year they are calling the pickups a 61 t and 61r.. No idea what they are but I guess along with the slim neck profile goes with the 60s influence..? But for a long time they had the ceramic ones as stock for a classic.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5866
    edited July 2018
    Guys, let's put that hideous Scratchplate back on the S.G. I mean, we're struggling, so that's bound to help. Let's offer 2 colours though, just for choice, like.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    Schnozz said:
    ES-275 Thinline, DC Tribute Junior and the V/Explorer look nice.

I'd still not buy a Gibson.
    That must be a huge relief to them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• ...but whatever, as long as it still comes in black and gold. 
    It doesn't :-(
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31662
    Guys, let's put that hideous Scratchplate back on the S.G. I mean, we're struggling, so that's bound to help. Let's offer 2 colours though, just for choice, like.
    I've always preferred the batwing scratchplate on an SG, and it also means you can put P90s in it if Gibson forgot to. 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I've always preferred the batwing scratchplate on an SG, and it also means you can put P90s in it if Gibson forgot to. 
    :)
    +1

small guard is only better if the whole body is more the heavily contoured early 60’s style, which is never is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12678
    Proper laugh out loud at “My little pony burst”.
    Genius
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3927
    edited July 2018
    Can't stand the case, the metal truss rod covers or the spoiling of beautiful flame with turquoisy stains. And a blue ES335? Nah.

I like the studio. Bound neck too. The Junior also looks great.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9379
    A thread showing new guitars that gives me absolutely no GAS. Thank you Gibson
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom