Chibson Firebird

What's Hot
FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500

Hello all. I've just ordered a Chibson Firebird V for several reasons. Firstly, it's £160 including delivery so if it turns out to be completely useless it's not the end of the world. Secondly, I own a Gibson Firebird V reissue which I paid, I think, around 900 quid for a few years ago. I bought it on the back of a massive Roxy Music love-in I was going through at the time and because it looked gorgeous. It still does, but it's impossible to play it sitting down, difficult to play standing up as every time you let go of the neck the headstock hits the floor and it sounds shit, thanks to the cheap and nasty ceramic magnet pickups. If fact, I've been thinking about selling it for more than a year. And the reason I haven't? It looks gorgeous. Finally, I thought it'd be interesting to compare the two when the Chinese version arrives. And I can them sell the original.

So I've ordered the Chibson. In the pics it looks identical to mine, right down to the crap pickups and the stupid banjo tuners. I'll keep you posted on what it's actually like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    That could be interesting, I do love firebirds but find afterawhile the thing neck grates on me.. a thick suede strap solved my headstock diving dilemmas - gigged the hell out of it. I found a Tokai Firebird after a few upgrades was a close 2nd.. although with a thick set neck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    edited April 2014
    "And I can them sell the original."...

... or you could talk to @theguitarweasel about getting some decent pups for it...
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    I've already tried better pickups and they did improve it (and will probably go on the Chibson). But the fact is I have a 74 Les Paul Deluxe that I love to bits and play almost exclusively. So having the best part of a grand tied up in something I never play makes no sense, really.

Has anyone else here bought any Chinese guitars?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Is yours going to be neck-thru construction? Most of the chibson firebirds I've seen so far are just set-necks, that works for the Studio & Reverse models, but isn't quite right for a normal FB if you're looking for a close comparison. Should be worth £160 though I'm sure! :)
    It certainly looks like a thru-necker and I'll be disappointed if it isn't. I'd post a link to it but I assume that's frowned on. I can show you what I'm supposedly buying if you send me a message.

But yes, it will be hard-pressed not to be worth 160 quid, even if  it's just a piece of wall art.
    Pics didn't seem to be a problem on my thread, but I tried to avoid directly linking to the seller so as not to be blatantly advertising forgeries. :)

I've bought my Trini with the same attitude, (albeit for slightly more monies) the progress photos so far seem to indicate it'll be more than good enough as a wall-hanger, and probably decent enough to play a few tunes on too. I look to seeing the results of your build. :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi – it was your thread that encouraged me to post this (and indeed join the forum).

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Those pictures are of a genuine Gibson not a genuine Chibson.
    Hi Chris

How do you know that?
    That looks great - but I'd be inclined to agree with chris, too many details are spot-on rather than pretty damn close! :O
    edited April 2014
    Hi Chris

How do you know that?
    It looks exactly like a Gibson, the construction method, the fingerboard inlays, banjo tuners, serial number and Made in USA stamp, and a Gibson white interior case.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's definitely not the guitar you'll get.
    edited April 2014
    Also, the way the light is reflecting off of the finish implies it's nitro. The serial & stamp themselves don't prove that it's a Gibson, neither does the case - they're easy to copy, but the tuners alone are very suspect given that this would be the first Chibson I've seen that used this style.

The binding colour & pearloid for the inlays look spot on too. :\
    Well, you may be right. I guess if something different turns up I'll negotiate a reduction and move on!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

I have had my Firebird for a while, it has the newer Steinberger tuners that sort the balance issue as they are very light.

Let us know what tuners they fit on your build.

Also, the way the light is reflecting off of the finish implies it's nitro. The serial & stamp themselves don't prove that it's a Gibson, neither does the case - they're easy to copy, but the tuners alone are very suspect given that this would be the first Chibson I've seen that used this style.

The binding colour & pearloid for the inlays look spot on too. :\
    I have never seen a Chibson with the serial stamp like that, and the case just backs up that it is a Gibson.  It is just a borrowed picture I guess.  I have found a Chinese Firebird, doesn't look too bad:

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    BTW, the fret edges will reveal if it is a Gibson or not - Chinese guitars do not have the plastic fret ends.
    Forge said:
    BTW, the fret edges will reveal if it is a Gibson or not - Chinese guitars do not have the plastic fret ends.
    Neither do new Gibsons!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Oh well. Let's see what turns up. If I've been had I'm happy to say so. I picked this one from the many available because it looked more authentic than the others!