Tour De France 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    crunchman said:
    No more debate about who is Sky's leader.

Thomas extended his lead over Dumoulin.  Looked like 4 or 5 seconds plus 4 bonus seconds.
    Yup. Froome looks done. Dumoulin lost time..

This is Thomas' to lose. I hope Froome rides for him on Friday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Excellent for G - 1 more big day in the mountain and a time trial where he will know exactly what he has to do and will be following Tom on the road - Fingers crossed he does it and SPOTY as well (for what it is worth)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Dumoulan interviewed post stage.
    Sounds like he has accepted that G has done enough to win
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Friday has 20k of downhill finish, and the Tourmalet isn’t the last climb.  Today was the day for GC and no-one was strong enough to make a dent.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    mixolyd said:
    Friday has 20k of downhill finish, and the Tourmalet isn’t the last climb.  Today was the day for GC and no-one was strong enough to make a dent.
    2 HC climbs though.  Thomas can't afford a bad day.
  • 1:59 is a good lead for G with just one more mountain stage to go. I would like to think that as in 2012 Froome will be under team orders to ride in support of his de facto team leader Thomas (probably willingly this time though, I reckon Chris has realised that 4 Grand Tours on the trot is a step too far. 5th TdF next year is still easily on the cards for him). So that just strengthens Sky's chances on Friday.

Team Sky, in the final mountains, with Froomey as another Super-Domestique in the ranks? Not a bad prospect, and no doubt scary for the other teams. LottoNLJumbo trying to oust Froome and Dumoulin from the 2nd step if they can, or even take it overall. Roglicz and Kruijswijk looked pretty good today, but maybe not good enough. Sunweb without a real climbing team around Tom hopefully shouldn't trouble a full Sky train on the ascendency.

I still think it's going to be a close one, everyone's going to attack G on Friday and then we'll see on how it pans out in Saturday's ITT. I've got everything crossed for another few seconds gained on Friday's climbs and a win for him at the weekend.

Glad to see Petr Sagan finishing after his crash on the descent, hope he makes it to the Champs and maybe even takes it at the finale, 100+ days in the Maillot Vert is something special indeed.

If Sunweb had put a proper team around Dumoulin though, he'd have bossed this IMHO. 2nd overall, mostly on his own once things went uphill? And still with a shout of the top step come Sunday. Class act.

Makes me laugh a little at Lappartient's comment that Sky's dominance of Le Tour has made it "boring". Which fucking race has he been watching this year? Absolute best Tour in ages.

Vive Le Tour!

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPOTY as well (for what it is worth)
    He'd be the first for while who actually has a personality! Said this to a few in work recently. G's a funny guy, pretty self-deprecating and has that level headed Welsh thing where you could be King of the World, but would still be like "Yeah, that's not bad like, but I need to go out and get a pint of milk. Back in a bit"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    SPOTY as well (for what it is worth)
    He'd be the first for while who actually has a personality! Said this to a few in work recently. G's a funny guy, pretty self-deprecating and has that level headed Welsh thing where you could be King of the World, but would still be like "Yeah, that's not bad like, but I need to go out and get a pint of milk. Back in a bit"
    Agreed, he seems a really likeable and level headed guy.  I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed for him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Top marks for Gilbert - broke  a knee cap and still rides for 60km - Some award surely - Lots of guts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Top marks for Gilbert - broke  a knee cap and still rides for 60km - Some award surely - Lots of guts
    Yep, I find it hard enough just riding 60km with 2 good knee caps.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    edited July 2018
    Some pics on twitter showing Froome being taken down by a gendarme on the descent back down after the race. Also, a fan in an AG2R jersey making a grab for Thomas on the climb. 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    I think Froome wanted the three" tours" back to back more than this TDF,  possibly knowing that his days as leader may be numbered.  Pleased for G tho.' I live not far from Cardiff and whilst cycling up one of the hills (imo it was a hill) G flew past me as if he was going downhill.!! 
    tFB Trader
    will Chris be allowed to attack and go solo sometime during the day in order to go for 2nd place ? - needs 33 secs + a bit more, to take into account the time trial tomorrow - Might be a good move sometime during the day if Chris goes upfront on his own - That will put pressure on Tom and Team Sunweb, so G can sit behind with his team mates and just match him as required
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    He has to really if he does want 2nd.
    Takes bit of pressure off G too.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    "what strategy would you advise to beat Team Sky?" Duh.... there asking Mr innocent ....... EPO of course
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    haha
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Bit of an anti-climax ending today, would have been great to see the top GC riders battle it out in a sprint finish, but that all but seals it for G to ride into Paris on Sunday, barring any major mishaps tomorrow in the ITT. Superb riding today though, even when he was on his own, just kept matching whatever was thrown at him - looked like he could attack the stage at any point if he wanted to, but was obviously being cautious (and rightly so) to protect the Maillot Jaune. 
  • G sprinting for bonus seconds after Primoz's epic descending was pretty good for me.

2:05 should be good enough but let's not forget the Dauphine, he could easily slide out again and fuck the whole thing up! Let's hope not, but he does still have to put in a very good ITT to take Yellow to Paris.

Not over 'til it's over...