Ebony or Rosewood for Bridge?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6119
Just purchased an old ES-125T, a type of guitar I have no experience of. It's arrived with a modern metal bridge attachment but I understand originally it would have been wood. Would there be much difference in tone if I chose one wood over the other? I'm imagining that ebony might be harder and therefore brighter but that's just a guess.

Also, does anyone know where I can source a replacement ES-125T bridge (or generic archtop?) in UK/EU?

A picture of my latest squeeze.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    The A. R. Duchossoir  Gibson Electric book says Rosewood with compensated intonation profile. 

The original will have been cut for a wound G string. The conversion on the guitar in the photograph makes sense for lighter gauge strings with a plain G.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16806
    Rosewood is certainly right for that style of Gibson but try ebony if you want a bit more snap.

finding a bridge is easy, or was before rosewood became an issue... but setting it up nicely takes a bit more work, like a nut really.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6119
    I don't know what the current strings are except that they're round wounds with a wound 3rd. I'm used to 9-41 pure nickels on a solid body so this is a bit of a change. I've ordered a set of 11-49 half rounds which is a kinda halfway house. It sounds lovely and is surprisingly loud unplugged. Fell in love as soon as I held it and strummed a few chords. My first Gibson 6 string.
    edited July 2018
    looks like allparts only have ebony now
    https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/compensated-bridge-and-base-for-arched-top-guitar-ebony

honestly though, chinese sellers on ebay might be worth a look.  it will come rough, but no rougher than that one from allparts

like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Archtop-Guitar-Bridge-American-50s-Style-Rosewood-Bass-Jazz-Rockabilly-Blues/122954721025?hash=item1ca0ac2701:g:mPYAAOSwKIdaehFp

but straight from the source
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-Rosewood-Wood-Guitar-Bridge-for-Archtop-Jazz-Guitar-Musical-Parts/152822483079?hash=item2394ee0887:g:IkAAAOSwdJ9aRttO

i would buy 3 from china, pick the best one and give it a good oil and polish

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72702
    Rosewood on that guitar.

And definitely don't use a plain third... it's just Not Right :).

Lovely guitar, with a vibe that's completely different from a modern electric.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

Lovely guitar, with a vibe that's completely different from a modern electric.
    Yes, that's just what I was seeking. Hoping this will get me out of the rut my guitar playing has fallen into.

Is there any way to reliably date this? Store said they thought '61 but there are no obvious markings to ID it and pots aren't available to view, maybe a dental mirror?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72702
    The pots might be useful but only if you can read the codes, they're often covered in solder. (Or replaced anyway.)

If there's no serial number visible, there may be a 'factory number', which will usually be on the inside of the body near the treble-side f-hole, often on the inside of the top so you will also need a mirror. The letter in it is the year, Q is 1961 but they go backwards!

The knobs would make it 1961 or earlier, but they could easily be replacements.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks @ICBM, that's helpful, I shall investigate.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    Er, would the rosewood in an original early Sixties carved bridge have been Brazilian?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    That's really nice. Maybe consider an original pickguard as well? They're not too spendy. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-1959-Tortiose-Shell-Single-Pickup-ES-125-Pickguard-w-Mounts/202365031495
    Er, would the rosewood in an original early Sixties carved bridge have been Brazilian?
    Most likely.  
    KKJale said:
    That's really nice. Maybe consider an original pickguard as well? They're not too spendy. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-1959-Tortiose-Shell-Single-Pickup-ES-125-Pickguard-w-Mounts/202365031495
    Oooh tempting! Is it possible to bid on US auctions if I have a UK account? I seem to recall trying to log in once and my details not being recognised.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2966
    tFB Trader
    Nice guitar..
    Drain LED snake mini USB cam, I got one for seeing inside acoustics for 6 squid. Has LED lights so no probs seeing in there, hook to PC and see live video, can record as well. Only thing is the very long cable!
    I've bought via US fleabay no problem, same account. Even if it says US post only it can be worth an ask sometimes they're fine with it.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    JezWynd said:
    KKJale said:

Oooh tempting! Is it possible to bid on US auctions if I have a UK account? I seem to recall trying to log in once and my details not being recognised.
    Firstly,  lovely guitar.   I’ve bought a few bits and bobs from that guy on eBay,  all good.  He’s also got a full rosewood bridge listed. Not sure if it being rosewood will be a shipping issue though.  I’ve got a few old Gibson archtops.  They all came with wooden bridges.  In spite of having 12 Guage flats on, I’ve got tunomatic bridges on them all.  Intonation with the wooden bridge is a compromise at best.  Tbh I don’t find a huge difference in the tone with a metal bridge, but I’m used to it now.   Gibson started stamping serial numbers on headstocks in mid mid-1961.  As @icbm says, there may be a factory number pencilled or inked inside the body.  A letter denoted the year ... Q will be 1961, R 1960, S 1959 ... etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ESchap said:
    JezWynd said:
    KKJale said:

Firstly,  lovely guitar.   I’ve bought a few bits and bobs from that guy on eBay,  all good.  He’s also got a full rosewood bridge listed. Not sure if it being rosewood will be a shipping issue though.  I’ve got a few old Gibson archtops.  They all came with wooden bridges.  In spite of having 12 Guage flats on, I’ve got tunomatic bridges on them all.  Intonation with the wooden bridge is a compromise at best.  Tbh I don’t find a huge difference in the tone with a metal bridge, but I’m used to it now.   Gibson started stamping serial numbers on headstocks in mid mid-1961.  As @icbm says, there may be a factory number pencilled or inked inside the body.  A letter denoted the year ... Q will be 1961, R 1960, S 1959 ... etc. 
    Interesting comments re the metal bridge having little effect. Could it be that the darker toned flats are compensating? I may end up using flats; currently have some half rounds on the way as i’m noticing some squeak and noise from the round wounds.  I should work on cleaning up my technique. I’ve ordered a couple of cheap Chinese bridges (the listing doesn’t call them rosewood) purely as an experiment but I imagine I’ll stay with the metal adjustable in the end.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    JezWynd said:
    KKJale said:

Link to the same item via UK ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-1959-Tortiose-Shell-Single-Pickup-ES-125-Pickguard-w-Mounts/202365031495

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    FatPete said:
    JezWynd said:
    KKJale said:

Link to the same item via UK ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-1959-Tortiose-Shell-Single-Pickup-ES-125-Pickguard-w-Mounts/202365031495

Excellent, thank you. I see he’s also got an original nickel tailpiece which might be even more tempting,
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    I cannot tell a lie, I spotted that tailpiece a few days ago and bought it last night. I've had a wanted ad up here for one for about a year.

Happy days D 
    KKJale said:
    I cannot tell a lie, I spotted that tailpiece a few days ago and bought it last night. I've had a wanted ad up here for one for about a year.

Happy days D 
    And I awoke by chance at 1.58am and put a bid in on the pickguard and won. I didn't bid on the tailpiece in the end, I've bought a new nickel one which was less expensive, figuring it will wear over time. I was tempted by the original though, looks great, enjoy!