String gauge

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Age old question folks but what gauge are you using on your electric solid bodies?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    11s on everything
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    11-48 except Tele's when it is 10-46.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2199
    11 to 49 D'addarios.  Anything else feels weird. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    10 - 52 on my Strat
    11 - 52 on my PRS
    10 - 46 on my JS100 and Audrey's Telecaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hybrid 9-46 all day long. 

Except on my Tele which has 9’s.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    10-46 on PRS, 9-42 on my Strat. I also prefer a lowish action.

I’ve been playing for over 45 years and have no hand problems....
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Nice to see folks going up to 11!
    I go 11s on everything electric except Strat and Tele which are 10s.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    09 to 42 on my Strats and and Tele
    10 to 46 on my PRS and Les Paul

I keep thinking about going up a gauge on both because I find fast picking easier on slightly stiffer strings, but legato easier with the lighter strings. 
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    10's on standard tuned Fenders
    10-52's on standard/drop d/drop c tuned LP
    12-56's on drop c/b LP.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10474
    tFB Trader
    9-46 on everything electric ... usually down tuned by a semitone. I have a super light touch.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• HysterHyster Frets: 208
    There seems to be a lot of machismo involved in string gauge choice, I honestly wouldn't have a clue if someone was playing 8's or 13's from the tone.

I play 10's on a strat and will happily go to 9's the instant my body pushes back against me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    11-54 on Gibson’s and 11–48 on fenders 
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    11s on everything
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    9-42,, if it’s good enough for John5 it’s good enough for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hyster said:
    There seems to be a lot of machismo involved in string gauge choice, I honestly wouldn't have a clue if someone was playing 8's or 13's from the tone.

I play 10's on a strat and will happily go to 9's the instant my body pushes back against me.
    I doubt many people would be able to tell many things about what's going on with a guitar tone when just listening to someone playing music, other than the very basic things like "there is a lot of overdrive" or "it's a strat". If you were directly comparing the sound of the two, though, I think you'd hear a big difference.

Not that I think all overdriven (for example) guitar tones sound the same, just that it's unlikely we'd be able to pick out such specifics.

I personally use 10-46 on everything (just to make things simpler really). I started off using 9's on a Strat and PRS Custom but felt the touch was too light so moved up to 10s and preferred it. When I then got LP scale length guitars I seem to find the feel totally fine with the 10s. Not sure if that works out to still have more "tension" (if I'm using the right term) than a Strat with 9s or if it's just that on that guitar I'm fine with the tension.

If I preferred the feel of 9s I'd definitely use them. If I preferred the feel of 8s I think I'd start to pay attention to what it was doing to the tone before deciding to use them, just because they're quite a step away from commonly used gauges.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hyster said:

True dat in many ways. 

Feel is personal too. 

I remember playing with 10’s on my esp’s and my fingers became so fatigued real quick when I was practicing solo stuff and bends. 

So I tried .9’s and much preferred it. Much easier to play and bend and possibly *slide on the treble strings. 

*not entirely sure about 10’s not feeling as slippy, it was many years ago. 

But on the 9’s I remember they felt too slack up on the bass strings. Fast chugging etc felt not so good. 

In came the hybrid set of 9-46’s and it felt like a great balance! 

Nice tight low strings to chug on and do some fast riffing, and nice light bendy high strings! Perfect! 

God knows if I could percieve any tonal difference. So I stuck with 9-46’s thinking why bother upping the resistance when I can just play these easy! 

Thats in standard tuning mind. 

On my tele I just stuck with its 9-42’s as its not what I’d play heavy rock/metal riffing on so its not so important the bass strings feel so tight. 

I suppose its what you get used to though as well. 

I use a heavy/stiff pick so theres not much give in it, which I imagine might make a string feel looser. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    When I started playing (8 months ago) I went for 9-42"s as I thought the 10-46"s the second hand LP copy guitar came with were to heavy.
    As I improved i changed to 10-46"s on the LP. 
    GAS has meant that I now have 2 LP copies & 3 superstrats.
    The superstrats have 9-42"s & the LP"s 10-46"s.
    I feel I have a heavy touch, partly because I am a beginner & partly because I have builders hands, & when I next re-string one of the superstrats it will be with 10-46"s as I now feel that 9"s are to light for me.
    All the guitars are in standard tuning.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    10-46 D'Addario on Gordon Smith and Gibson SG

10-46 Ernie Ball on Peavey Rockingham

• NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Just basic 9's or 10's on Strats and 10's on Gibsons.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Standard D'addario 10s on my superstrat tuned to E... when I was gigging with my last band I was tuned to Drop C so I used 11s. I agree with the comment above about machismo: I'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell even in an A/B test which strings I was using... having said that, I'm sure that with someone who uses less gain than me, it might be more obvious
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)