String gauge

What's Hot

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    skunkwerx said:
    Hybrid 9-46 all day long. 

... is the right answer. Light top, thick bottom. Also easy to remember - 9 11 16 26 36 46. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Hyster said:
    There seems to be a lot of machismo involved in string gauge choice, I honestly wouldn't have a clue if someone was playing 8's or 13's from the tone.

I play 10's on a strat and will happily go to 9's the instant my body pushes back against me.
    No machismo at all. I like the tone and feel of heavier gauge strings and whether anyone else can hear that is irrelevant. They aren't playing my guitars. I just cannot play a guitar with 9's as I can't feel the bends.
    To each his own. (:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    11s. They just sound and feel better.

Plain third on solidbodies, wound third on semi-hollows.

I've recently gone up to 12s on acoustic, but before that I used 11s on those too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    45-105's

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @DLM - to be fair, we get so many posts in the wrong forums that it's difficult to tell which side of the line you are most days..
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    9-46 hybrid D'Addarios

Was using standard 9-42 and tried the hybrids, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, when I started playing a lot of drop-D stuff to keep the bottom string tight - liked them a lot and have stuck with them since.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    11's mostly. 10's on a few that feel really stiff.

I'm a heavy handed sod and used to snap strings regularly until I moved up.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    10-46 on everything (Strat, Tele, LP, Rick) but 11-48 or 11-49 on the Jaguar.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    • Thomastik JS110 Jazz Swing Flatwound 10-44 Electric Guitar Strings - but then again I am insufferably weird ...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    D'Addario 9-42, for 35 years now.

I bought some of their 9½ sets a while back, I actually noticed the change in the high E tension and whilst it wasn't big it was weird enough to not make me want to continue with them.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    10-46 D’Addario... I bought 12,sets in a great deal last year, so I won’t need to buy anymore strings for about a decade B)
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Nyxl 9.5s or 10s. I do think that heavier strings often sound better and I prefer the feel in the picking hand. I’ve never liked going much heavier than 10s on a guitar where I have to bend strings, but I am happy to play heavier if I am not.

But ... I have a long standing ulnar nerve issue which is causing left hand fatigue and pain so I am planning to string up with 8s or 9s and lower my guitar action to see if it helps. 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    edited July 2018
    I use 10,12,16,26,36,46 on all Fender scale guitars and 11,13,17,28,38,48 on Gibson scale,  On mid scale (like PRS), I use the 10-46.  The different gauges give an even tension between the 2 scale lengths.  I use pure nickel strings on everything.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Does anyone know the technical data about if 9s on a 25.5 scale equals the tension of 10s on a 24.5 scale etc.?

I'm sure I've seen some chart or calculator to that effect.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    9-42  D’Addario, tuned down a semi-tone.  Use these on Fender and Gibson scale lengths.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'm using 8s at the moment and really like them.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    thegummy said:
    Does anyone know the technical data about if 9s on a 25.5 scale equals the tension of 10s on a 24.5 scale etc.?

I'm sure I've seen some chart or calculator to that effect.
    Not exactly, but it’s in the same ballpark.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    11-49 on all guitars tuned to standard, 12-52 on a guitar tuned down a whole step
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    9-42 on my Ibanez RG
    10-46 on my Gordon Smith GS-1
    11-54 on my multi scale Ibanez RGD tuned to Drop C. 

Feel is fairly consistent across the guitars. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.