String gauge

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    11-49 or 11-52 - not to be macho at all, I think it's just what you're adapted to. I've used these for 10 years or more now and when I try anything lighter, it doesn't work out for me. In the past I used 9-46 then 10-46, they were fine, but I just can't get on with these gauges any more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    9-42 on my Ibanez RG
    10-46 on my Gordon Smith GS-1
    11-54 on my multi scale Ibanez RGD tuned to Drop C. 

Feel is fairly consistent across the guitars. 
    I thought you were a PRS man?!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6071
    edited July 2018
    9-41 on solid body, 11-52 on arch top (wound 3rd) down tuned a full tone, 43-104 on bass.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902
    D'addario NYXL 1149 on everything for me. 

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    thegummy said:
    Does anyone know the technical data about if 9s on a 25.5 scale equals the tension of 10s on a 24.5 scale etc.?

I'm sure I've seen some chart or calculator to that effect.
    @thegummy Here you go: http://stringtensionpro.com/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    11s on everything
    So you tune to EEEEEE?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Electric 9 up to whatever (not fussed). Acoustic 10 up to whatever.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DLM said:
    thegummy said:
    Does anyone know the technical data about if 9s on a 25.5 scale equals the tension of 10s on a 24.5 scale etc.?

I'm sure I've seen some chart or calculator to that effect.
    @thegummy Here you go: http://stringtensionpro.com/

Nice one, cheers!

According to that site, the 10.5-48 set on a Les Paul would almost perfectly match the tension of a Strat with 10-46. Might have to try them out.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3465
    I honestly dont remember what I put on there.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • Elixir 9-46 on everything. At the moment that's a PRS Custom 24, Fender Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul.
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Strats 9-42 LP & Gordon Smith 10-46 In standard tuning. I think peoples choices are influenced by a lot of factors like the style you play the tuning you play in & the set up you have. No two pairs of hands are the same so you just have to find what works for you.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2018
    11's mostly. 10's on a few that feel really stiff.

I'm a heavy handed sod and used to snap strings regularly until I moved up.
    Shouldn’t thicker strings snap more than thinner ones? I use 9-46, so my .11 string is a B; you tune your .11 string up 5 more semitones to an E. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    viz said:

Shouldn’t thicker strings snap more than thinner ones? I use 9-46, so my .11 string is a B; you tune your .11 string up 5 more semitones to an E. 
    You would think so on that logic, but experience indicates otherwise.

I think it’s probably because the initial pick attack stretches a thin string under lower tension more than a thick one, and the thinner string is simply weaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    10 to?? on electric. 12 to ?? on acoustic 
    I think I’ve got some 11s or something to try on the acoustic, somewhere.. Have dabbled with 9s and 11s on electric..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2018
    009-046 Hybrid Slinky on everything electric. 012-052 on acoustic's. I always used to have my action high. But am getting on a bit so it's medium now.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    viz said:

As ICBM says, you're logically right, but I've found that 11s do last me a lot longer than 10s, and 9s on the same guitar.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    viz said:

As ICBM says, you're logically right, but I've found that 11s do last me a lot longer than 10s, and 9s on the same guitar.
    Yes, so I could definitely understand it strings thinner than .11 were prone to breaking per se; it’s the issue of strings in the range .11 - .46 breaking under lower tension that I don’t understand. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    viz said:

Yes, so I could definitely understand it strings thinner than .11 were prone to breaking per se; it’s the issue of strings in the range .11 - .46 breaking under lower tension that I don’t understand. 
    It's a puzzle! You would think that an 11 tuned to E is much closer to its breaking point than the same string tuned to B, so would break more not less. But since it does seem to be the other way round, there must be an explanation...

What I think is the most likely is that the strings get fatigued at the points where they bend over the bridge saddles and at the machinehead posts - then, with the lower tension, they are stretched further and faster under the pick attack than they would be if they were at higher tension, which then makes the fatigued bit break - and they almost always do break there, not in the middle of the string. The same fatigued part of a thicker string is stronger, or perhaps also less fatigued since the string will be slightly less flexible at the point of contact.

But I'm not a metallurgist, so I could be wrong!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2018
    ICBM said:
    viz said:

It's a puzzle! You would think that an 11 tuned to E is much closer to its breaking point than the same string tuned to B, so would break more not less. But since it does seem to be the other way round, there must be an explanation...

What I think is the most likely is that the strings get fatigued at the points where they bend over the bridge saddles and at the machinehead posts - then, with the lower tension, they are stretched further and faster under the pick attack than they would be if they were at higher tension, which then makes the fatigued bit break - and they almost always do break there, not in the middle of the string. The same fatigued part of a thicker string is stronger, or perhaps also less fatigued since the string will be slightly less flexible at the point of contact.

But I'm not a metallurgist, so I could be wrong!
    Sounds reasonable. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    It’s something that I’m going to have a think about before I restring my Gretsch.

I’ve played 10s for years but my LP junior came with 11s.

I’m very happy with playing 11s now but I’m told that because of the the wraparound bridge on that  the 11s have the feel/tension of a 10s.

The Gretsch needs a restring though and as I don’t know what gauge strings it has (bought used but they feel light) I’m tempted to try 11s, which might be more Bigsby friendly.
    Previously known as stevebrum