Paul Macca - Playing at the Cavern Today - Free

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14472
    tFB Trader
    good job it was a warm day, so no need to hang up any coats, as Auntie Cilla no longer with us to help with that role
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    impmann said

All this about his voice - ffs, he isn't 25 any more. 
    Yeah. Well. It’s just my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    i think it's sensational. paul playing the cavern! sounds like crazy fun for him and anyone else who wants to be there. i would have loved to be there (and i hate 'hey jude'). for the sheer thrill. many of you may be old enough to have seen him when his voice was stronger, but that option isn't available anymore. so if you missed him then, or are young, (or just don't mind his voice not being now what it was the last time), then this is your day.

any comments about his voice not being as strong as it once was are missing the point.
    in 'technical' vocal performance terms clearly it's not what it once was. time takes it's toll on us all & he's 76. but i won't hold the effects of ageing against him or anyone. that's not charity, just common sense.
    but technical prowess is obviously not the only or primary measure by which this event is intented to be judged.
    paul cares about his music and will give his performance everything he has. but his primary motivation will surely be to deliver a 'paul plays the cavern' experience for anyone who wants to share that time and situation with him today. he won't be there again tomorrow. or the next day.
    but today for free you can be there with him, sixty years after.

it's about occasion, atmosphere, people passionate about the same thing coming together.
    and maybe it's even for him (if that's allowed?). for his immediate joy (performing and sharing) and longer term to satisfy important feelings inside him (a spiritual thing). he's a deep, thoughful and loving person (by all i have come to know about him), not a cartoon or a hack going through the motions for a quick return.

if he was worried about achieving 'technical' perfection he certainly wouldn't be performing on one of the hottest summer afternoons since forever, crushed to the wall in a cave full of hundreds of screaming and sweaty (thrilled happy) people. it's supposed to be a party. no graph paper required.

i remember siouxsie getting so much mindless negative criticism when she did meltdown a few years ago, purely for not having the range of her teenage self during that show. it drove me screaming mad. she's my number one and i have never seen her live. while coked-up hater hacks with press passes were busy in the venue bar sharpening their tagline daggers. grrrr! off with their poisonous heads!!

the people we love age. we don't hold it against them, but cherish every moment spent with them.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    munckee said:
    I must be in a tiny minority of possibly one who wouldn't go and see it if it was next door, most disappointing artist I have ever seen live, loved the beatles, not Mccartney though thanks.
    Nor me. He was brilliant. In the 60s and 70s a musical genius. 80s and 90s still brilliant. Since then? No ta
    I've not brought a Macca album since I was 16 - Silly Love Songs and that alone might tell you why I never purchased another one - Yes he is getting older and yes his voice has gone a bit - But it is Macca at the Cavern Club !!!! - That is sheer history and I bet he'll play just a few Beatles Songs and probably early covers from the original era, with little else, other than maybe a new single - The history and occasion for me is what it is about - Not sure if/when he ever played there again

Yes he keeps playing Hey bloody Jude, but the audience love it - Thought the clip of him at Hyde Park with Bruce was brilliant and shows 2 legends just enjoying them selves - Surely what it is all about
    The biggest +1 imaginable to that.

I feel nothing but sympathy for anyone who genuinely wouldn't be thrilled at seeing him at the Cavern.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited July 2018
    I'll happily be corrected but, The Cavern, it's not the actual Cavern where the Beatles played, right?
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85
    clarkefan said:
    I'll happily be corrected but, The Cavern, it's not the actual Cavern where the Beatles played, right?

From BBC News report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44964710

"He skirted over the fact that the original Cavern was filled with rubble in 1973 and the venue for Thursday's show was a more modern live room attached to a replica Cavern that was built nearby"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 898
    Not a huge McCartney fan but worth checking out Dave Grohl's Sound City as he is one of the best among a stellar cast.
    Also worth checking out Eight Days a Week to be reminded about just how much the Beatles did in a very few years. Excellent for doubters (like me).   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12968
    munckee said:
    Saw him at glastonbury and he was bored rigid and playing wings songs (he has every right of course!) until the cameras started rolling and then he was mister fun.  I didn't think he voice was great or his choice of songs.  Luckily we gave up and went to another stage before his 3 hour version of hey jude.  He seemed so far away from the beatles it was like watching your uncle performing.
    This was my experience a few years ago as well. 

I can cope with the fact that he's 76 and his voice isn't what it was. The problem was that the setlist was deathly dull, he looked bored rigid, and despite being an A-list entertainer for fifty years he had literally no charisma or stage presence. Such a letdown. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14472
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    yes they moved it a few years ago - across the road I believe

Anyone now if the Starclub in Hamburg is still in existence ?
  • HushHush Frets: 21
    I think for quite some time now, people go to see the man and the legend he is, not the singer or performance, I mean come on he's in his mid 70's And although he is promoting his latest work, he must still get a buzz playing to people and making new music, or a man of his wealth wouldn't do it. And he might not be some peoples favourite Beatle/Artist but we will never see the likes of a man like this again, as annoying as he might be to some, the standard of songs and volume of them is amazing. Nobody can touch his achievements. On a personal note, I can't really listen to him anymore But i still respect the legend he is.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12454
    Yep its because its him.  I would go and see Clapton, I love the stones but would rather see a young cover band than the actual stones these days. I went to see Roger Waters at the 02
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    clarkefan said:
    yes they moved it a few years ago - across the road I believe

Anyone now if the Starclub in Hamburg is still in existence ?
    burned down in 1987 apparently. also the fate of the first venue the beatles played there. legend suggests they may (or may not) have been involved. ask paul?

according to the band themselves, the 'starclub live' album isn't them at their early adrenaline (plus) wildest. they felt had done hamburg, so it was really a final obligation goodbye to clear before moving on to their new lives as parlaphone recording 'artistes'.

but something like this must be an insight into the relentless rock and roll thunder of their early hamburg days.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9453

Thought the clip of him at Hyde Park with Bruce was brilliant and shows 2 legends just enjoying them selves - Surely what it is all about

I was there for that, it was fantastic...well until they pulled the plug!

Would love to see Macca at The Cavern, it's not really about him now is it, it's a massive nostalgia trip...although this is of course him plugging his new stuff and an easy way to get a lot of publicity which is something he's a master at.

I remember watching the broadcast of the "Run Devil Run" gig he played there, must have been utterly fantastic to be in the room, as I'm sure today was as well. 
    I’ve still not forgiven the authorities for turning that off. It was a dreadful way to end a great gig. Bruce was determined to put on a show from the first when he started with “Thunder Road” with just him and Max, like the 75 Odeon concert. He couldn’t stop grinning that he was playing with his hero and then the sound got turned off.

Id have given my right arm to see Macca today. I saw a Beatles tribute at the new cavern and that was magical enough
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10833
    tFB Trader
    vale said:
    i think it's sensational. paul playing the cavern! sounds like crazy fun for him and anyone else who wants to be there. i would have loved to be there (and i hate 'hey jude'). for the sheer thrill. many of you may be old enough to have seen him when his voice was stronger, but that option isn't available anymore. so if you missed him then, or are young, (or just don't mind his voice not being now what it was the last time), then this is your day.

any comments about his voice not being as strong as it once was are missing the point.
    in 'technical' vocal performance terms clearly it's not what it once was. time takes it's toll on us all & he's 76. but i won't hold the effects of ageing against him or anyone. that's not charity, just common sense.
    but technical prowess is obviously not the only or primary measure by which this event is intented to be judged.
    paul cares about his music and will give his performance everything he has. but his primary motivation will surely be to deliver a 'paul plays the cavern' experience for anyone who wants to share that time and situation with him today. he won't be there again tomorrow. or the next day.
    but today for free you can be there with him, sixty years after.

it's about occasion, atmosphere, people passionate about the same thing coming together.
    and maybe it's even for him (if that's allowed?). for his immediate joy (performing and sharing) and longer term to satisfy important feelings inside him (a spiritual thing). he's a deep, thoughful and loving person (by all i have come to know about him), not a cartoon or a hack going through the motions for a quick return.

if he was worried about achieving 'technical' perfection he certainly wouldn't be performing on one of the hottest summer afternoons since forever, crushed to the wall in a cave full of hundreds of screaming and sweaty (thrilled happy) people. it's supposed to be a party. no graph paper required.

i remember siouxsie getting so much mindless negative criticism when she did meltdown a few years ago, purely for not having the range of her teenage self during that show. it drove me screaming mad. she's my number one and i have never seen her live. while coked-up hater hacks with press passes were busy in the venue bar sharpening their tagline daggers. grrrr! off with their poisonous heads!!

the people we love age. we don't hold it against them, but cherish every moment spent with them.
    Have a wisdom ... 
    I saw Peter Green with the Splinter Group ... must have been 1999 or 2000 ... sure he couldn't summon that guitar magic any more, but his vocals were still as soulful as ever, and I heard him sing those Fleetwood Mac classics. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4020
    I watched Paul McCartney at Hyde Park in 2010 (I think) and it was just an amazing gig, the best atmosphere at any gig I've been to and he was great. For me, I watched a Beatle play Beatles songs and I'll be able to tell my son that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4020
    It will have been full of pricks videoing it on their mobile phones.
    I read someone was ejected for that.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    No 20min Hey Jude!

Set list

• Jam
    • Twenty Flight Rock
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • Jet