Paul Macca - Playing at the Cavern Today - Free

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    munckee said:
    I must be in a tiny minority of possibly one who wouldn't go and see it if it was next door.

Make that two of us. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    munckee said:
    I must be in a tiny minority of possibly one who wouldn't go and see it if it was next door.

Make that two of us. :)
    If it was next door to me I'd seriously be questioning the conditions of their lease.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    No 20min Hey Jude!

Set list

(etc...)

• Helter Skelter
    i soundly approve of that substitution. and it was the manic set closer of choice for the banshees for many years, so proposed and seconded.
    this is one of my favourite live banshees verions of helter, and would probably bring up exactly the same complaints about performance.

there are totally valid justifications for the raggedness. siouxise was still recovering from a severe bout of hepatitis (stress, excess & dirty spitting punks), and mcgeoch had joined just weeks before.
    but essentially, do the flat notes and missed marks make it any lesss exciting? not at all. maybe that chaos, confusion and mania in the mix even adds something to the theme. it's art not science.

the banshees really wanted to play. the fans really wanted to see them play. and everyone outside of that loop (as applies to paul playing the cavern at 76) is ultimately just noise.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    I'll happily be corrected but, The Cavern, it's not the actual Cavern where the Beatles played, right?
    The original cavern was filled with rubble to form the foundations of the Cavern Walks shopping centre....selling predominantly Beatles memrobillia ironically...

clarkefan said:
    I'll happily be corrected but, The Cavern, it's not the actual Cavern where the Beatles played, right?
    yes they moved it a few years ago - across the road I believe

Anyone now if the Starclub in Hamburg is still in existence ?
    The ‘new’ cavern is further up the street on the same side.

the Star Club burnt down but there’s a plaque where it was with a list of all the bands that played there. A pretty inpressive lineup!

The Keizerkeller is still there and TopTen club is currently a PizzaHut, you can see the windows of the attic rooms the band stayed in above it though. 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    'the indra' was the first club they played in hamburg.

i remember because in the film 'birth of the beatles' (1979) there's a bit when they arrive at the kaiserkeller for their first gig, and are discussing how impressive it is, when the manager drags them out by their lapels lapels into a shitty old backstreet cinema behind which he has another club-cum-stripclub ('the indra') which is their venue and digs.

the burning down bit happens when george (played by a very young "awright ma, lend us a tenner" nick cotton) is arrested for working under age in a bar.
    paul and pete (best) search for his birth certificate with a candle in a hurry, run off to the police station, and (pure coincidence) the club is burned down when they return.

which is why i joked "ask paul?" when i mentioned it above. whether that bit is based on fact or dramatic licence i don't know, but i was reading philip norman's 'shout' at the same time (my autistic beatles obsession days) and it seemed to match up with the basics.

it's low budget (teiscos for hofners!) and superclunky, but a quick intro to their story.

i haven't seen 'backbeat' or 'nowhere boy', are they worth a watch? i was in and out of my obsession before they got made. i was about ten and it just seemed a fascinating story.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom