Waste of money

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ash96 said:
    Yeah I swear by elixirs. Have used them for 10 years now and, to me, they easily justify their price tag in comparison to uncoated strings. 

This is probably because A) I'm lazy, and want to avoid changing my strings every other week. and B) I become a bit of a sweaty mess when I gig so probably destroy strings quicker than the average person.
    You probably want to be changing them now, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Anything with Joe "Dull Rich White Man Blues" Bona-fucking-massa's signature on it. 
    Try his signature Epiphone Firebird, it's the only proper 9-ply, through neck, alnico pickup, banjo tuner Firebird 1 you can get at any price, it's only £529 and it sounds massive. 

You'd have to pay nearly half that just for the tuners anywhere else.   
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    American Labour costs.

I have a couple of American guitars because the model I wanted happened to be made there but if they made exactly the same guitars in Asia they would have been cheaper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3022
    The expensive custom moulded ear plugs I got at a guitar show.

Now I can't hear my guitar at all in the mix but the bass and drums are perfectly audible.(some might say this is a good thing). 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5041
    edited July 2018
    ThorpyFX said:
    stonevibe said: 'Limited Edition' is a marketing ploy. 

Does the same but comes in a different colour makes people desire it, I think that this is a waste of money especially when there is a price hike.

Just my opinion.

Collectors make their own rules, nothing to do with my opinion that, they are all obsessed more often than not, and so will pay money for the slightest variance.
    fair enough, i guess i was trying to state.... if people didn't want it, it wouldn't happen.
    Not commenting on pedals, but that statement in bold above is, in my humble opinion, the false justification used by marketing departments the world over for designing products that no one really needs or has asked for, but which make the company more money. I worked in financial services for many years either within or alongside marketing departments - the product development conversations very rarely started with ‘what does the customer want’ and very often with ‘what can we sell more of, or make more money out of’. Having had many friends in marketing and/or advertising in other industries I don’t believe the approach I’ve described is unique to FS. In the guitar world for example, why does Fender every few years issue a new version of the US Standard Strat with a few small tweaks and a price hike? I suspect it’s not because customers have been clamouring for a new version with a few tweaks... That’s capitalism for you I guess, and I should probably just get used to it! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Taking a guitar into the shop for a string change  :#
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Calum13 said:
    Taking a guitar into the shop for a string change  :#
    That actually saves money, it costs a fortune to have them come to you every time.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11758
    octatonic said:
    munckee said:
    I love my 335 (harley benton!) why are gibson 335s so expensive when they are seemingly made from sh1ttier wood than everything else, and some of its hollow anyway.
    Because the raw materials are a small part of the cost of the guitar.
    It is mostly labour and tooling.

and debt interest, don't forget debt interest.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    new strings
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    For me, the first thing that comes to mind is the Spider Capo... Why not just tune to open whateverthehellchord you want?

I think I spent £25-30 on it, and I was never able to actually find a decent use for it. Someone will probably link me an example of someone making it seem like the greatest invention ever now :+1: 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Effects pedals for bass.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Guitar case stickers. 

Who in their right mind goes out to buy stickers for their guitar case?   :#
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Nut sauce. Bit of pencil lead is just as good. 

Now Fast Fret I do use, I clean my strings with it after every gig, makes them last longer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Tronical tuners :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24580
    Stuckfast said:
    Effects pedals for bass.
    No way - preamp/DI pedals have been some of the best purchases I've ever made...

And don't tell @ICBM - he'd be lost without his fuzz (fnarr)
  • Elixirs
    Electric Exlixirs - I agree entirely, naff sound
    Acoustic Elixirs - I liked 'em
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited August 2018
    munckee said:
    I love my 335 (harley benton!) why are gibson 335s so expensive when they are seemingly made from sh1ttier wood than everything else, and some of its hollow anyway.
    + when surely the most expensive part of a 335 type guitar is the body construction/labour
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    munckee said:
    + when surely the most expensive part of a 335 type guitar is the body construction/labour
    Because people will stump up the money.

Very few things in this world are priced at "cost plus", they are just priced at the amount that enough people are willing to pay in order to maximise profit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    edited August 2018
    Boutique pickups - I have a drawer full of them and probably couldn't tell between any of them and a good old SD '59.

But I'm a marketers wet dream so shut up and take my money!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14432
    thegummy said:
    I recently found out people put their guitar in to a shop just to get the strings changed!
    I know somebody who does that. The shop proprietor got so fed up of it that he made a point of showing the guitar owner how to change strings. Made no difference. In one ear, out of the other. Customer still brings his guitars to the shop about three months after their strings could have done with changing.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom