Waste of money

What's Hot

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    edited August 2018
    I don't have acidic sweat and don’t sweat much when playing. But if my daughter or elder son play one of my guitars for about 20 minutes, the strings then feel completely knackered to me!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdipsiaAdipsia Frets: 55
    Any brand new American-built PRS.

Nothing against PRS guitars... but a new one ? Seriously ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I don't have acidic sweat and don’t sweat much when playing. But if my daughter or elder son play one of my guitars for about 20 minutes, the strings then feel completely knackered to me!
    Are they grown up and actually playing the guitar or kids just playing with it?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5040
    thegummy said:
    30 and 25 years old - so it’s not sticky bun syndrome!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thegummy said:
    30 and 25 years old - so it’s not sticky bun syndrome!
    They must have inherited their acid sweat from their mother lol
    Misty said:
    Nut sauce. Bit of pencil lead is just as good. 

Now Fast Fret I do use, I clean my strings with it after every gig, makes them last longer.

I used pencil lead in a nut the other day just to try it (even though I do have plenty of Nut Sauce) and it does work well but I get the feeling it maybe won't last as long as the liquid lube would?

Also, what do you use for the saddles?
  • vettaheadvettahead Frets: 236
    crunchman said:

Expensive straplocks when you can buy 12 of the Grolsch style washers for £2.99 on Amazon.

amen!  
    vettahead said:
    crunchman said:

Expensive straplocks when you can buy 12 of the Grolsch style washers for £2.99 on Amazon.

amen!  
    Any tips for getting these on and off easily? I find them a bit of a pain to get on and off so tend to leave the strap attached but I prefer it without strap at home.
  • SNAKEBITE said:

Fast fret is good.

Not because it makes me play faster, I doubt anything could, I've seen continental drifts move quicker than my fretting hand, but it stops the strings from going rusty!

I used to think it made me play faster. I practised a lot in those days though. Didn't have Arthur Itis either.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited August 2018
    SNAKEBITE said:

Fast fret is good.

Place a lint-free cloth under the strings, spray a small amount of WD40 on the cloth under the strings. Rub the length of the fretboard, making sure both top and bottom of the strings are WD40'd. Try not to get it on the fretboard, although if you do, no big deal, just wipe off.

Remove cloth.

Save yourself lots of money. WD40 comes in 100ml cans and you'll get LOTS of applications out of one. And it fits neatly in your guitar case. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    klon
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • p90fool said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Yeah, I am afraid I do tend to rust strings at an alarming rate. I have what's known as "rusty fingers" in the engineering world.

Very acidic sweat that literally turns unprotected metal rusty in seconds.  

Change your strings more often?
    I used to have to change strings mid gig, or change guitars. 

Elixirs have saved me a fortune. 
    Same here. I did a few acoustic tours with a Scottish artist and we did two 45-minute sets of her stuff. I'd have to re-string after the soundcheck, and again at the break, or by the end the bottom strings would be so dead they were bordering on inaudible through the pickup.

I still have to change strings every night on tour on any guitar I play during the set, or else they'll be totally dead and/or just waiting to break.

Unfortunately, I can't stand Elixirs :(
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6062
    Stuckfast said:
    Effects pedals for bass.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2018
    Wireless systems for anyone not playing stadiums or big venues. Cringey when you see a guitarist walking around a pub acting like a rock star whilst playing another dull rendition of Dakota or Mr Brightside to a packed crowd of 8 including bar staff.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    edited August 2018
    TTBZ said:
    Wireless systems for anyone not playing stadiums or big venues. Cringey when you see a guitarist walking around a pub acting like a rock star whilst playing another dull rendition of Dakota or Mr Brightside to a packed crowd of 8 including bar staff.
    thatl be me tonight 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2018
    TTBZ said:
    thatl be me tonight 
    Username checks out I'm only joking anyway, if something like a wireless makes someone enjoy playing their guitar more then who am I to judge?

I can still think of many things I'd rather buy before a wireless system even entered the equation though.
  • jesonejesone Frets: 60
    The Firebird I built. Neck seems sooo long it just sits in a stand & never gets played.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    As of today, Jack Thammarat signature edition trem springs :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3454
    Djent.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Says a guy with a 40 quid Squier ."I am taking it down to "MY" luthier  to get it sorted."Sure you can  sort out out and set up a 40 quid Squier no problem  but he will never be YOUR luthier .